ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Hmmmm

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Hmmmm

Postby Lumin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:49 pm

Now that we have this board where all the cool kids hang out I really really want to make a thread, but I'm not really doing any serious work on anything unless I can talk about a CYOA I'm making on another site.

I guess for ADRIFT games, two projects I've been sort of toying around with off and on are called Vee Station and uh...Untitled Fantasy Mafia Story.

Vee Station is just a game I started spontaneously to test out a couple ideas after being unsatisfied with the way another thing I came across handled them. After a disaster in space you're rescued from your escape pod and find yourself among a group of dysfunctional outlaws who have taken up residence in a hidden mining outpost. They don't trust you enough to let you just leave so you have no choice but to join them. There are puzzles and ultimately there's a bigger plot to deal with but it's all pretty light hearted and mainly I'm trying to keep the focus on getting to know the other characters and the station itself. I want the environment to be reactive and for you to feel like you have freedom to make your mark on things.

The fantasy mafia story is going to be an IF/CYOA hybrid and completely opposite in tone, kind of a gritty/dark/noir thing. You play a human enforcer, and after the elven nobles you serve suffer a brazen insult by another family you've been tasked with quietly putting an end to a Romeo and Juliet situation before open war breaks out.

No ETA on either of these because I'm still mostly focused on my ChooseYourStory stuff. I want to release both of them this year but it's hard to say how I'll make the time.
Lumin

Re: Hmmmm

Postby The0didactus » Wed May 01, 2019 5:48 pm

Both of these sound like viable games. I particularly like the dark intriguey fantasy thing. Will either of these games feature a combat system, and what is your brilliant solution?
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm

My brilliant solution is to write out any combat or other complex interactions in CYOA style while the map and exploration stuff plays like standard IF.

....so kind of like events in Six Silver Bullets I suppose but I had the idea way before you!
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 pm

The fantasy mafia story sounds like an interesting idea. I'm not so sure about the other one but fantasy mafia certainly has a nice ring to it.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Lumin wrote:Now that we have this board where all the cool kids hang out I really really want to make a thread

Not sure you can apply cool kids to me. :)

The Outlaw game sounds a great idea, I could see that working as a game.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby The0didactus » Fri May 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Lumin wrote:My brilliant solution is to write out any combat or other complex interactions in CYOA style while the map and exploration stuff plays like standard IF.

....so kind of like events in Six Silver Bullets I suppose but I had the idea way before you!

I can tell you exactly how I got that idea: I got it by designing this huge epic combat system in my head, then progressively realizing over the span of several years that my programming skills were not up to implementing certain parts. Then other parts. Then other parts. Till I was left with the random outcomes thing.

It's a little trick I like to call design-through-utter-incompetence.

I say focus on the fantasy one, but not if it's all doomy and gloomy
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Sat May 04, 2019 11:55 am

I could probably do the fantasy one over a weekend, if I had weekends.

Vee Station is just a lot more fun to mess around with and test things in. I didn't have much time to mess with it last night but I've started work on a randomized heist mechanic, to address the fact that my criminals don't seem to be doing a whole lot of criming.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 pm

I often like games where the player can choose between "Winning" and continually playing to jack up a high score or something. It would be fun if one of the options for this game were to just help these dudes carry out their life of crime.

As for heists, you and I think alike, though mine are decidedly two-sizes-fit-all
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (200.75 KiB) Viewed 287 times
The0didactus

Postby The0didactus » Sun May 05, 2019 12:31 am

did you delete your resolution to make an ADRIFT game with a cool combat mechanic? The world must know.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Sun May 05, 2019 2:23 am

The0didactus wrote:I often like games where the player can choose between "Winning" and continually playing to jack up a high score or something.

I love this kind of thing. Core game mechanics or even side stuff that's fun enough in its own right that it becomes a game within the game. This is I wanted David to include his bowling alley.

I'm not a big fan of JRPGs but they do this a lot. Besides the main plot there's the character leveling aspect, hunting for achievements, grinding for money and items, or maxing out the high score on minigames. Any kind of optional stuff like that just adds more to do and discover if you're one of those people that just has to 100% everything in every game.

That feeling of just wanting to sort of hang out in the game world fiddling with things is exactly what I'm trying to create with this one.

As far as heists go, the character doesn't go on these themselves, but they sit in on the planning for them and whatever the player decides is treated like a group decision from the others. Basically you'll pull up 'rumors' from the station's computer that give you an idea of what to expect and what strategy to use. (If you're fighting robots, take EMP grenades, not stun guns.) You choose who to send and what equipment they'll take and then you get a blurb afterwards describing how it all went.

Successful heists pull in credits as well as randomized amounts of the game's crafting resources: scrap, wiring, and power cells. Occasionally a blueprint for an upgrade or something new. Failed heists...I'm not sure yet. I don't want failure to make a situation where the player is barely scraping by suddenly impossible to recover from, but there should be consequences for continuing to screw up. I'm not even going to worry about that until I have a better idea of how the resources will be balanced though.

The crafting materials you will use to make various things around the station or to make more and better equipment to send everybody on bigger heists. I believe only the very last one will be a plot relevant location you go to yourself, but, that's all pretty far ahead of where I am on it now so I'll have to see how things play out.

did you delete your resolution to make an ADRIFT game with a cool combat mechanic? The world must know.

I have no idea what you're talking about. ]:) You're drunk, go home.
Lumin

Postby The0didactus » Sun May 05, 2019 2:46 am

Well that heist mechanic does sound fun. There better be laser beams.
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Sun May 05, 2019 3:05 am

The0didactus wrote:Well that heist mechanic does sound fun. There better be laser beams.

Most of it's just in my head right now if I'm being honest, but there's nothing that would be much more complicated than checking variables and spitting out responses. It could all be done even with the editor over on CYS without any real difficulty so I know ADRIFT is perfectly capable of it, even if I haven't sorted out all the exact details yet.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sun May 05, 2019 3:24 am

As for the fantasy one, I'll probably wind up adding more CYOA aspects than originally planned. A hybrid is what I had in mind, but it's pretty plot focused and if I'm already going halfway for the dialogue and action I might as well not stop there.

Vee Station is a more personal thing that I just think is fun to mess around with and hopefully to eventually play. But for anything else right now it makes the most sense to design it to handle well with Fabularium.
Lumin

Return to W.I.P.