ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Just a fairy tale

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Just a fairy tale

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 08, 2019 10:55 am

Obviously I'm not an expert in this forum thingy. :?
While moving the posts regarding the fairness of evaluation of large / complex games, I did manage to move the posts :D However, I also managed to erase my WIP report :x
So here we go again:

My project for this year’s Annual IF Comp is called “Just a fairy tale”

You take the role of a boy (sorry ladies :blush: ) whom, after having been tugged in, wakes up when he is visited by the ghostly image of a wizard.
The wizard tells the boy that he has been taken prisoner by the evil (no definition yet) and need the boy’s help to escape and save the kingdom. Why he absolutely need the boys help I have no idea, but it fitted nicely into the story at the time.
When the wizard is done keeping this poor boy awake he disappears and the kid can finally go to sleep.
He (the kid) wakes up the next morning. Not in his own bed, but in a completely different and strange room.
From there his quest to rescue the wizard begins.

When I started this game there was no template to work from. I am pretty much inventing the story as I go along.
I have implemented some things that David W suggested to make the game look more appealing, and it’s going to be interesting to see how this is received.
I’m seriously trying to limit myself not allowing this game to grow too big. My problem is that when I begin working on a game it is like opening Pandora’s’ box. Tons of ideas pops into my head (from time to time) and they are all just too good to miss and before I know it I am struggling with a 20+ Mb game (Exaggerating, but you know what I mean)
Did I mention that it’s a fairy tale?
Well, it has a witch, a wizard, gnomes and lots of magic. If that’s not the ingredients of a fairy tale I don’t know what is.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Just a fairy tale

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 08, 2019 11:11 am

I'm tempted to post a message here saying "sounds good!" but you'll probably just delete it anyway :(
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Wed May 08, 2019 11:35 am

David Whyld wrote:I'm tempted to post a message here saying "sounds good!" but you'll probably just delete it anyway :(

I would probably have given you 10 points for being nice :whistle: (But it's too late now.)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 pm

I was wondering what happened to this thread.

Is it going to be a game suitable for kids, or the more authentic and dark kind of fairy tale?
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu May 09, 2019 6:16 am

Lumin wrote:I was wondering what happened to this thread.

I messed up when I was moving the posts regarding the fairness of the competition evaluation from here to the competition forum. :x
So I had to reestablish my WIP thread.

Lumin wrote:Is it going to be a game suitable for kids, or the more authentic and dark kind of fairy tale?

It is not going to be a kids game if that's what you mean. But on the other hand, it's not going to be scary and bloody. I would say it will be the average kind of game.
Right now I am looking for a door in the game that I can't find. I must have created the damned thing at some point because when I stand in front of the building and >in I get the response "The door is closed" :?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Fri May 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Bah, how can you call it a fairy tale unless stepmothers are having their eyes pecked out by birds?
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Lumin wrote:Bah, how can you call it a fairy tale unless stepmothers are having their eyes pecked out by birds?

And just how do you know that that's not what's going to happen? :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:40 pm

May 10 since I made the last update+ I can't believe it.
I'd better get started or this game is going to take as long as D-Day which, by the way, I haven't worked on either.
My poor excuse is that simply haven't had the time (I'm beginning to sound like Lumin, aren't I? :wink: ) ) however, it's true.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rotter » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:15 pm

P/o Prune wrote:May 10 since I made the last update+ I can't believe it.
I'd better get started or this game is going to take as long as D-Day which, by the way, I haven't worked on either.
My poor excuse is that simply haven't had the time (I'm beginning to sound like Lumin, aren't I? :wink: ) ) however, it's true.

Slacker. rofl
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I find it really easy to take breaks in game writing, but really hard to get back into writing them later on. For some reason, once I stop writing a game, even if it's just for a short period of time, it's difficult to get back to writing it later on. Ideas which once seemed great now seem a lot worse and it's tempting to either ditch the game altogether and work on something else or spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to fix what's wrong with it (and knowing in the back of my mind that no amount of fixing it will ever work).
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:57 pm

@David. It wasn't even on purpose I took a brake from the game. Things just happened around me that was out of my control. But you are right that it's hard to get back in the mindset of the game when you have been away for some time.
However, having finished testing Lazzah's game and the general situation calming down around me, I will now continue the work on "Just a Fairy Tale" This work will have plenty of chances of being interupted by time spent in an easy chair on the terrace with a glass of wine in my hand and my trusy dog at my feet. :yeah:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:23 pm

Since almost everyone else has put up the stats for their game, I thought why not do the same? At least that way I will be posting something :whistle:
So here goes.
First of all the game is, at this time, a staggering 53Kb
Characters: 6
Events:2
Tasks: 24 (folders each containing a number of tasks)
Objects: 21 (folders also, each containing a number of objects)
Locations: 26

I realize that the tasks and the objects doesn't give a real picture of the number of tasks or objects.
We all have different ways of setting up the developer. I prefer to have my game organized in folders (se attached) as I find it easier to find what I'm looking for.

Apart from that I have finally been able to get on with the game and am now working on the puzzle of getting a gold coin from the gnomes bank. But more about that later.
Feels good to be back. :D
Attachments
Developer.JPG
Developer.JPG (212.44 KiB) Viewed 310 times
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:21 pm

Good to hear that you are working on it again - hopefully you will finish in time for this year's IFcomp.

If you want the game stats you don't need to count the number of objects, tasks, etc yourself. Just go to properties (see picture below) and ADRIFT will calculate the stats for you.
ADRIFT5properties.png
ADRIFT5properties.png (41.31 KiB) Viewed 305 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Thanks Denk… :thanks:

Well with this news the stats is as follows:

Characters: 6
Events: 2
Tasks: 156 in 24 folders
Objects: 133 in 21 folders
Locations: 36
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Denk wrote:Good to hear that you are working on it again - hopefully you will finish in time for this year's IFcomp.

I hope so too. I would like to finish this and then concentrate on D-day for the IF Comp 2020, although I'm afraid I might get disqualified for using the theme song from the movie "The Longest Day" But I'm going to worry about that when I get closer to the deadline.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Next

Return to W.I.P.