ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Galen's Quest

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Galen's Quest

Postby Lyricasylum » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:15 am

I'm coming back to Adrift after several years' absence. Here is an adventure that I haven't quite finished; if you make it into the castle, you've reached the end of what I have created. I would love any feedback. Thanks!

PS: It's amazing what a little magic can do in this game, especially if you are holding the right items when casting a spell!
Attachments
Galen's Quest.taf
(68.19 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Lyricasylum

Re: Galen's Quest

Postby Lumin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:25 pm

Hey, welcome back! I'll try to give this a look soon and let you know what I think.
Lumin

Postby Lyricasylum » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:48 pm

Thanks! I can't wait to find out which method you use to get past the troll.
Lyricasylum

Postby Lumin » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:38 am

On my original attempt at this I got torn apart by those pesky predators even when I climbed up in a giant tree!

I only had a few minutes to spare tonight but I'll give it another go after work tomorrow. There was some really unique and trippy imagery as I was wandering around and I'd like to see what all I missed. Finding scenery objects with their own descriptions versus ones just mentioned in the room seemed a little hit and miss, which I think would be the major complaint of most reviewers here. I could look at the flagstones and the sky for instance, but "you see no such thing" when trying to examine the blood, and somehow the only notable thing about the blood-dripping arch is that it's built into the wall.

The writing that's there is pretty solid though and I look forward to exploring more and seeing this continued. I took just a quick peek at the game in the developer (not long enough for any spoilers to sink in) and it looks like a pretty impressive amount of content for just a demo, you've put some real effort into this already.
Lumin

Postby Lyricasylum » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:35 am

Thanks for taking a look at it. Maybe when I get more feedback I'll address your concerns, such as "You see no such thing," as well as any other criticisms that come up.

I realize that it's a little strange that the predators caught you up a tree - I can take a look at that event and see if I can modify it so it makes more sense.
Lyricasylum

Postby Lyricasylum » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:07 am

Anyone else want to take a look? I appreciate Lumin's feedback but I'd love to hear from others as well!
Lyricasylum

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:54 am

Lyricasylum wrote:Anyone else want to take a look? I appreciate Lumin's feedback but I'd love to hear from others as well!

I'll give it a go when I have time. I'm still working on JaFT, trying to get started on my Spitfire Mk.IIa (scratch build) and about a million other things.
In the meantime, go ahead and work on your game. Leave it be for a couple of weeks. Then go back and try to play it through. When I do that I always find things that are illogical, responses that could/should be changed etc.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lyricasylum » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 am

Thanks! I look forward to your feedback.
Lyricasylum

Postby Denk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:37 pm

I just tried your game. I think it is well written! :)
Still, a lot needs to be implemented.

I am stuck and I need some help:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
South of the blood-stained Arch I have found: Spectacles, large flagstone, large sack, crystal orb and broken flagstone (I had also a meteorite which I put in the fountain). When I go north, the predators start chasing me. I don't know what to do about the predators and I haven't solved any puzzles in the northern part of the map. I don't know how to enter the shed and what to do about the crack, which seems incorrectly implemented. I guess I need a coin to the boatman(?) or something else(?) but he does not want anything I have. So I need a hint.

EDIT: On request, I have removed the transcript from my post since it takes up too much space in the thread. Unfortunately, the ADRIFT site does not accept txt-files in posts. If you want the transcript, I can e-mail it to you if you PM me your e-mail address.
Last edited by Denk on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Lyricasylum » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:51 pm

To get past the arch without being killed by predators, you have to:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
give the orb to the gargoyle/put it in the gargoyle's outstretched claw. This will make the cascade of blood in the arch disappear.

Once you do the above,

[Reveal] Spoiler:
the spectacles will allow you to see the keyhole in the door. You will need to get the spellbook and cast the right spell on the crack in the rock.
Be sure to search everywhere; you are right to say that the boatman wants some coinage.

Hope this helps! And thanks for playing!

Edit: You will also need the silver key, which shouldn't be too hard to find if you examine everything.

Edit: I read through your transcript. I will definitely implement the changes you suggest.
Lyricasylum

Postby Denk » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Thanks! I hope to continue playing in the near future.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Lyricasylum » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:05 am

I just want to say that I appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far, like adding more description for named objects and making sense out of the predators climbing the tree. I will make those changes, fear not. But I hope someone has a chance to play through more of the game. Thank you very much, and let me know if I can help with anyone else's projects.
Lyricasylum

Postby Denk » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:54 am

I am currently playing Galen's Quest again. I can see that you have put size restrictions on containers. If you do that, it is important that you fix what I call the Container Bug. How to fix it is described here: http://forum.adrift.co/viewtopic.php?f=14&p=106120#p106120
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:37 pm

Lyricasylum wrote:I just want to say that I appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far, like adding more description for named objects and making sense out of the predators climbing the tree. I will make those changes, fear not. But I hope someone has a chance to play through more of the game. Thank you very much, and let me know if I can help with anyone else's projects.

My advise to you is that you create your game to a natural "break point" and then have that tested. Then continue working on your game until another natural "break point" occour and then have your game tested again.
My procedure in "JaFT" was that I created the game until the player came to the maze and thus entered the next chapter in the story, so to speak. I had that part tested and then when I was happy about that I started working on the next chapter etc.
Once I had completed a chapter I created a macro that for that chapter and posted it alpong with the next part, so the player didn't have to go through enverything again.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lyricasylum » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:21 am

Thanks for all the help, especially Denk! It seems that while my adventure a) has a few programming bugs and b) needs descriptions of objects that are listed in the room description. it is possible, as-is, for someone to make it all the way to the endgame. I have very little left in terms of completing the adventure but a lot of editing to do.

The only question I have at this point (and this is directed especially at Denk) is how much fun was it to play? I realize that certain things like "you can't examine the clouds even though the room description mentions clouds" can take away some of the fun, but if you correct for that, how enjoyable was the setting and how much fun did you have solving the puzzles?

Thank you all very much!!!
Lyricasylum

Next

Return to W.I.P.