ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Climb Tree

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Climb Tree

Postby rovarsson » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi all!

As some of you may have read elsewhere, I'm a newbie trying to get his first game off the ground.
I'm using all the tutorials I can find, the newbie section on this forum has provided me with great tips, Larry Horsfield is exceptionally helpful. I try new stuff I learned in a "Playground" I've created (and which keeps growing into a weirder and weirder place. Unlocking doors with a rotten fish is fun!) This all helps in keeping the learning curve manageable.
I've been walking around with an idea for a children's book for years now. An adventure in a fantasy setting (no magic though. I dislike most magic in books or games.) I made maps, thought out scenes and conversations, wrote down ideas for characters, but it never seemed to take off.
And then I found ADRIFT! Hallelujah. This medium is perfect for tying my loose narrative ideas together. And obstacles planned for the book get reworked as puzzles.
The working title is "The Tree". (Original, no?) My protagonist must bring medicinal herbs to her nephew. He is one of the Treepeople (again, working name, will change that) who have made an entire village in a huge tree. Because of social unrest and a power struggle amongst the treepeople, the main road (or Stairway) is closed, and people are very suspicious of strangers.
The story tells about my protagonist's struggle to get to her nephew in time, and most of the puzzles will be about getting higher up the Tree without use of the stairs. All against the backdrop of impending civil war.

Whew. I hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew . I'll just keep doing what I'm doing now: Meticulous notekeeping with pen and paper, and slowly implementing location after location, object after object,etc...
Last edited by rovarsson on Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rovarsson

Re: Climb Tree

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:46 am

First of all.
Good luck with your project. It sounds like you've got a good idea. I like the way you go about it, slowly learning the possibilities of Adrift etc.
I will suggest that you take a look at the subject: Adventure Creation Tips for Newcomers (It's posted under General IF) It gives excellent guidelines on how to create a game. It's not only for newcomers, trust me. I have been writing IF since the old days of the Spectrum 48K and Amiga and I sometimes go back and read through it. It gives a lot of do's and don'ts and it's really helpful.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby rovarsson » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Thanks for the tip! Will do.
rovarsson

Postby Denk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:05 pm

This sounds like it could be a fun game! Even if it is supposed to be a children's book, I usually enjoy such stories once they are converted to IF because of the puzzles.

Don't forget to get your game tested. The beta version of my first ADRIFT game had much more bugs in it than I expected, which I would never have found myself. If you ask for testers on the ADRIFT forum you will often get a couple of testers. You may find a few on Intfiction.org too.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby Lumin » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:01 am

Good luck with this game, I love the sound of it! Kind of whimsical on the surface but becoming darker and more serious as the story and background setting unfolds and draws you in, or at least 'impending civil war' makes me think of it that way.
Lumin

Postby rovarsson » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:14 pm

Lumin,

Yes, that's the idea. My PC won't play a significant role in the Big Historic Events, they will provide the dramatic background. The civil unrest that's going on will also provide obstacles (guards, angry mobs, the need to keep hidden or disguised, finding backroutes. These are all possibilities.)
The first two levels in the tree wil be rather friendly and introductory, focusing on information (one) and a mechanical puzzle (two). On the third level is the actual city of the tree dwellers. There I will focus more on friendly or hostile NPCs and conversation-puzzles to get higher up towards PC's nephew.
rovarsson

Postby RenatoDias » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:21 pm

For learning, I usually create side projects so I can learn some things or do libraries. Such as when I made the KTANE-style bomb defusal for my game, I used a side project, turned it into a module and imported into the main project.
Things I made in side projects:
-Time System;
-Rescue System;
-Perceive System;(you use that on a mission)
KTANE: Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Good luck on your project, man.
RenatoDias

Postby rovarsson » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:50 am

RenatoDias,

That is a good idea. I have a Playground where I do tutorials and play around with different features, but once I'm done I leave everything there. (Thing are getting surreal in there.)
Perfecting a side project and importing it once it works sounds great.

Rovarsson
rovarsson

Postby rovarsson » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:50 am

So sorry for posting twice.
rovarsson

Postby Lazzah » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 am

rovarsson wrote:So sorry for posting twice.

No problem, you can delete a post if you wish to. Just click the "x" button top right.
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby Lazzah » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:41 am

rovarsson wrote:Making a training ground and importing it as a module once it works perfectly sounds great.

Rovarsson

If you are going to experiment with modules, beware of the bug I found recently which can mess up the game file you are importing into, as reported in my post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12632
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby RenatoDias » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:42 pm

Lazzah wrote:
rovarsson wrote:Making a training ground and importing it as a module once it works perfectly sounds great.

Rovarsson

If you are going to experiment with modules, beware of the bug I found recently which can mess up the game file you are importing into, as reported in my post: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12632

Saw that bug too, it annoyed me when it happened.
RenatoDias

Postby DazaKiwi » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:39 pm

There is some easy steps you need to do to avoid that as saabie mentioned and linked to in that thread link provided above. Just saying in case other newbies come across this post. Importing modules isn't hard to do and very handy especially for not having to re-invent the wheel with some gameplay mechanics you want to reuse in other games.
DazaKiwi

Postby RenatoDias » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:50 am

rovarsson wrote:RenatoDias,

That is a good idea. I have a Playground where I do tutorials and play around with different features, but once I'm done I leave everything there. (Thing are getting surreal in there.)
Perfecting a side project and importing it once it works sounds great.

Rovarsson

I have several systems in the game I did this way.
RenatoDias

Climbing tree update.

Postby rovarsson » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 am

Hi all, Rovarsson here.
Quick state of affairs about "The Tree".
It's moving along nicely. I try to be thoughtful of possible "wrong" commands the player might try so she gets a meaningful response. Basic general and specific commands all work nicely. Restrictions shall not be forgotten!! Neither shall the box "Task is repeatable"! So the game creation process is flowing nicely.
Next big task: Implementing my first conversation. There is a conversation system in the Character-box which supports nested topics as far as I understand (ASK/TELL with more structure to it?). I don't really get it though. Any good tutorials/exercises to guide me through the steps?
I'm even thinking of having a kind of hybrid ASK/TELL--TALK TO system, where TALK TO gives a more lengthy monologue about a topic and ASK/TELL covers the specifics. (Yes, I like text-dumps).
Any thoughts?
rovarsson

Next

Return to W.I.P.