ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Translating Adrift into Danish

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Translating Adrift into Danish

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Since this is a Work In Progress thread I would think that this little project of Denk and mine qualifies to be mentioned here.
Besides, since Campbell isn't here (at the moment) to veto it, and I am an forum admin, I allow it. 8)

As you know, if you have read the post, I was contacted by a member of the Danish Royal Library regarding Danes writing IF.
That made me think (still have a headache) about how to spread Adrift AND IF to a wider audience. As it is now, if you wish to play IF you'll have to have some experience in writing / speaking / reading English.
But what if Adrift was translated into (in this case) Danish? So I set out on this lonely journey trying to figure out how to proceed. Luckily Denk was interested too and soon we were on our way.
Trust me when I tell you, this is no easy task!
First of all, the Danish alphabet has 3 extra letters that are unique Æ, Ø and Å! (We should have taught you Brits better when we ruled your country :wink: )
Secondly our grammar is very different from English which means that Denk had to change and create new properties and other fancy stuff I really don't understand much of. :?

Ok.
We are currently translating the Standard Library and are done doing the Uncategorised Tasks. :D
More to follow.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 97kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Re: Translating Adrift into Danish

Postby Lazzah » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:19 am

Very well done Po and Denk!
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:25 pm

P/o Prune wrote:... As it is now, if you wish to play IF you'll have to have some experience in writing / speaking / reading English. ...

I will object on technical grounds. There's been a decent amount of non-English IF. There's even been a tiny bit of Danish IF, according to IFDB. Skabet (IFDB) (World of Spectrum) is former commercial and not legally available, but På loftet sidder nissen is even playable online.

Still, it's a worthwhile project and I wish you the best.

(Probable tough spots where English is hardcoded into ADRIFT:
- Pronoun substitution, both in player input and when the game outputs a name multiple times.
- Pluralization of words. (I don't know if ADRIFT has a hardcoded set of plurals, or if it uses a set of rules to generate plurals.)
- When writing lists, usage of "and"
)

Edit: Found two more games in Danish
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:47 am

ralphmerridew wrote:
P/o Prune wrote:... As it is now, if you wish to play IF you'll have to have some experience in writing / speaking / reading English. ...

I will object on technical grounds. There's been a decent amount of non-English IF. There's even been a tiny bit of Danish IF, according to IFDB. Skabet (IFDB) (World of Spectrum) is former commercial and not legally available, but På loftet sidder nissen is even playable online.

I agree. But the games you mention is coded by the author.
What Denk and I are trying to do is to give interested Danes (if there are any :wink: ) the chance to create their own game without any (much) coding skills.

ralphmerridew wrote:Still, it's a worthwhile project and I wish you the best.

Thank you, ralphmerridew. It's a H*** of a job, but at least it keeps me busy and away from hanging around on the street corner getting into trouble :lol:

- Pronoun substitution, both in player input and when the game outputs a name multiple times.
- Pluralization of words. (I don't know if ADRIFT has a hardcoded set of plurals, or if it uses a set of rules to generate plurals.)

Denk is on that, I believe. He has already made some new properties that takes care of a lot of the problems regarding grammar etc. But I'll let him explain.

Edit: Found two more games in Danish[/quote]
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Denk » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:39 pm

ralphmerridew wrote:Still, it's a worthwhile project and I wish you the best.

)

Thanks.

We try to avoid Synonyms and Text Overrides as much as possible. Still, we have so far made 30 text overrides and 4 Synonyms. This is mainly for hardcoded English words, of which there are some pronouns.

"It" could in theory be handled with a synonym ("det" or "den" in danish) but unfortunately these words have more than one meaning and so it is not practical to make a danish version of GET IT, DROP IT etc.

In some aspects, Danish is easier than English. In English you have the problem of is/are which doesn't exist in danish. In other ways, Danish is harder. You may replace "a box" with "the box" in English, whereas in Danish the words would be "en boks" and "boksen". There are no bulletproof rules for the ending which is added to "boks", so that causes a problem.

" and " (note the spaces surrounding the word) is handled with text overrides(output) and synonyms(input). In very specific situations this causes a problem since the three letters "and" means "duck" in Danish :-)

In those special situations, the author of a Danish game could type " zand " or something similar and make their own text override so that " zand " is converted to " and ".
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:43 pm

A little update…
Things are going smoothly (he said without even consulting with Denk :angel: )
We are at Beta version 10. Taking one item at a time and making sure it works before proceeding to the next.
So far we've completed the following:
Uncategorized tasks
Look and Examine
Player Movement
Give, Take and Drop

And we are proceeding with Character position.
I would be lying if I told you that it hadn't caused a headache or two. Sometimes it's down right mind twisting to find a translation for an English expression. But it is fun. (am I nuts? :P )
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:29 pm

P/o Prune wrote:A little update…
Things are going smoothly (he said without even consulting with Denk :angel: )
We are at Beta version 10. Taking one item at a time and making sure it works before proceeding to the next.
So far we've completed the following:
Uncategorized tasks
Look and Examine
Player Movement
Give, Take and Drop

And we are proceeding with Character position.

Well done PO and Denk! :bravo:

P/o Prune wrote:I would be lying if I told you that it hadn't caused a headache or two. Sometimes it's down right mind twisting to find a translation for an English expression. But it is fun. (am I nuts? :P )

Err, do you really want an answer to that? :haha:
The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust, The Lost Children, Run, Bronwynn, Run, The Call of the Shaman, The Lost Labyrinth of Lazaitch, Magnetic Moon, Starship Quest, Revenge of the Space Pirates
Lazzah

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Lazzah wrote:
P/o Prune wrote:I would be lying if I told you that it hadn't caused a headache or two. Sometimes it's down right mind twisting to find a translation for an English expression. But it is fun. (am I nuts? :P )

Err, do you really want an answer to that? :haha:

Not really :wink:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:16 am

P/o Prune wrote:
ralphmerridew wrote:

I agree. But the games you mention is coded by the author.
What Denk and I are trying to do is to give interested Danes (if there are any :wink: ) the chance to create their own game without any (much) coding skills.

Since when did you need coding skills to play if?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:25 am

ralphmerridew wrote:Since when did you need coding skills to play if?

I'm not sure what you mean, ralphmerridew.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:53 am

:claps:
Announcing that the Danish Library for the Adrift Developer has now been completet :D
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:10 am

Where's the download for this? I didn't see it under Modules.
Lumin

Postby Denk » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Lumin wrote:Where's the download for this? I didn't see it under Modules.

Thanks for reminding us! I guess we just wanted to see if P/o Prune encountered some bugs in it while he worked on his Danish game, and then I forgot about uploading it. :nerves:

So I have now uploaded it as a module here: http://www.adrift.co/game/1561

For some strange reason, when I uploaded the amf-file, the site claimed that someone else was already using that IFID :? . I didn't know that amf-files have an IFID, so I had to zip the file before the site accepted it.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Postby Lumin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:01 pm

Unfortunately the guy I was going to try and get to pass it along has explained that all his IRL friends are illiterate sports loving chads.

But I'm approaching him about whether he could just translate his CYOA game and let me port it over to ADRIFT, if the idea is to get the ball rolling on making some games available.
Lumin

Postby Denk » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:28 pm

it is always good to have more games available. So do you plan to port it over as a CYOA game or are you going make it into a parser-game? CYOA is no doubt easier.
The Bash Saga:
Denk

Next

Return to W.I.P.