ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Vee Station

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Vee Station

Postby Lumin » Fri May 29, 2020 6:38 pm

Started work on this again, or restarted work actually since I scrapped my original intro. It's going to be very slow going until I complete my current CYOA project and knock out about 9000 words of promised reviews, but I've made a bit of progress and I think I'm finally ready to start putting together a real map instead of fiddling with this and that feature.

I've been pining away since the death of my precious and beloved split ergonomic keyboard, combined with S L O W shipping on absolutely everything making it difficult to replace. But the new one finally arrives tomorrow. And I have a full weekend the next Saturday, so I'm planning to go full tilt into writing something.

I can't remember if I ever went into a full description of what I had planned for this, but basically what I'm aiming for is Vee Station being the ultimate game to just sort of hang around in. You play a mechanic who falls in with a group of outlaws on an illegal mining station.

There are eight other characters living on the station with you, and I've written some scenes out for most of them already just trying to get a feel for their personalities. I really want interactions with each of them to feel unique and rewarding. You'll have your own quarters, workroom, and computer assigned to you, with various actions tied to each. Early and midgame goals are tied to things that would all make sense for a mechanic, and I'll be avoiding shoving tasks in the player's face like 'okay do this...now do that...good, now this....' in favor of just letting them explore and interact with the things in the environment in a way that makes sense to them, at their own pace. One of the plot points in fact is that after a major setback, everyone is just kind of hanging out at the station spinning their wheels until your meddling gets them in gear again...but if the player just wants to make pancakes and play video games every day then nothing will stop them.

There will be a resource management and crafting component, resources being MACHINE PARTS, LENSES, MICROCHIPS, BATTERIES, WIRING, ADHESIVE, LUBRICANT. All manipulated with your trusty PLIERS.
Lumin

Re: Vee Station

Postby rovarsson » Sat May 30, 2020 9:56 am

Oooh! Sounds ambitious and tons of fun. Will the player have the opportunity to mix up frozen margaritas while idling? Yours is ready btw.
rovarsson

Postby Lumin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:44 am

rovarsson wrote:Oooh! Sounds ambitious and tons of fun. Will the player have the opportunity to mix up frozen margaritas while idling? Yours is ready btw.

That's a good idea. Mixing drinks is now on my list of upgrades the robot can be given.

Although since I don't really drink often/ever myself except for that margarita at restaurants and holidays I guess I'll have to do some research on this one. (Not the fun hands on kind unfortunately...)
Lumin

Postby rovarsson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:09 pm

Bloody Mary please.
rovarsson

Return to W.I.P.