ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Eamon Revived

Here you can share your "work in progress" with your fellow Drifters.

Eamon Revived

Postby Denk » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:26 pm

Two years ago I implemented a light version of the combat system found in Eamon games into ADRIFT 5. I did this since many new ADRIFT users ask for a combat system and since I like the Eamon combat system.

Now I have decided to implement a “full” Eamon experience in ADRIFT. It will contain the Main Hall where the player between adventures can buy and sell weapons, buy spells, train weapon abilities etc. etc. The first version will probably contain 10 classic Eamon adventures from the heyday of the Apple II and in the long run hopefully many more.

To my knowledge, this has never been done in an IF tool before (I am aware of the Inform game Leadlight Gamma). However, Eamon is not entirely dead. There are people out there who are currently converting the old classics for online play (Eamon Remastered) and a C# branch (Eamon CS) for Windows, Android and Unix. In addition, the Eamon Wiki ( https://eamon.wiki/ ) is kept up to date. Before those systems, Eamon Deluxe (Mac, Linux, Windows) was very good but it hasn’t been updated since 2012.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a forum for Eamon players/authors/developers, but I was hoping it could be on intfiction.org. Of course, posts on this topic are also very welcome here on the ADRIFT site.

Below is a sketch of how I intend to implement the Main Hall. Any feedback is very welcome. Thanks.
Attachments
Eamon Revived Sketch.png
Eamon Revived Sketch.png (20.46 KiB) Viewed 522 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Re: Eamon Revived

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:09 pm

First, good luck! You've taken on an ambitious project and I hope it works out well.

Denk wrote:... and in the long run hopefully many more.

That may not be a good idea... Will all the games be stored in a single TAF? Then won't moving to a later version require resetting all your progress?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Denk » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:20 am

Thanks! Yes, all adventures will be stored in a single taf. I don't see how I could pass inventory and stats between adventures if the adventures are not all included in the same taf. You are right that there will be a problem when a player goes from version 1 to version 2 as the the save-file from version 1 will not work with version 2. I plan to include a character editor in version 2, perhaps combined with a password system which puts restrictions on the editor.

Ideas are very welcome.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby Kennedy » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:32 pm

Does Adrift offer support of read and write to external files? Maybe you could just export all the stats and inventory that way.
Kennedy

Postby ralphmerridew » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:03 pm

Kennedy wrote:Does Adrift offer support of read and write to external files? Maybe you could just export all the stats and inventory that way.

ADRIFT does not.

Even if ADRIFT did have external file access, there would still be some problems; as Denk mentioned, weapons need to be transferable between games. The ADRIFT parser has limited ability to handle dynamic vocabulary.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to W.I.P.