ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Another niggle with v4

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Another niggle with v4

Postby Lazzah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:24 am

After testing my game and saving my position In v5, if I then add a new static object or any sort of task I can continue playing from that saved game, the new task will work as it should do and the new object will be present.

I have just tried to do this when testing my v4 game. I was presented with a pop-up error message "This adventure has changed since you saved this game file. Aborting load!". I now have to play the game from the start as there is no option for creating a macro as there is in v5. (another niggle)

I am just SO glad I am using v5 to write my games, I cannot imagine fixing a bug and having to play the game from the very beginning, typing every single command in, each time I made an alteration to my game!

And v4 is supposed to be "faster and easier" than v5? Who are you trying to kid, Mr. Whyld???!!!

Having said that, David, after my experiences using v4, I really do take my hat off to you and anyone else who has written a game using v4! :claps:
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Re: Another niggle with v4

Postby David Whyld » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm

You don't need macros in v4. Honestly, I'm not sure I see the point of them in v5. If you want to play through your game when you change something to make sure it's still working, copy and paste the walkthrough (I assume you make one as you go along) into the Runner, hit enter and - hey presto! - it runs through the entire game for you. If anything goes wrong, you'll be able to pinpoint where it was easily enough. And well done on finding another "flaw" in v4 which you decided to highlight this way. I'm half-tempted to post all the flaws in v5 at the rate of one a day from now until, oh about 2028, but I'm sure you'd just accuse me of waging a campaign of hate.

And yes, Mr Lazzah, v4 is easier and faster. v5's the thing that killed ADRIFT.
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:45 pm

David Whyld wrote: You don't need macros in v4. Honestly, I'm not sure I see the point of them in v5.

I didn't realize that you could copy and paste a walkthrough into the v4 Runner, but surely even you can see that the macros are a very useful tool when testing your game? Instead of typing your walkthrough in a document, you create a macro and type the walkthrough commands into that. Once you have done that it is there all the time. You can even assign an F key to a particular macro so all you have to do to run the macro is press the F key. Much easier and quicker, none of this copying and pasting EVERY TIME you want to test your game. How tedious and time-consuming, it astonishes me that you had the patience to do that every time you wanted to test one of your games, David!
David Whyld wrote:And well done on finding another "flaw" in v4 which you decided to highlight this way. I'm half-tempted to post all the flaws in v5 at the rate of one a day from now until, oh about 2028, but I'm sure you'd just accuse me of waging a campaign of hate.

If you want to list all the flaws in v5 at one per day, go ahead. It wouldn't bother me, in a lot of cases I would probably agree with you. However, having used v4 for the very first time after using v5 for the past few years, I can see why Campbell decided to replace it with v5. There is SO very much more you can do with v5, it is just incredible now I have actually seen it for myself. One small example: in v4 if you want to change the default message for any action you probably have to create a synonym. In v5 you have access to the general task itself so you can change the default message itself. Much easier and quicker!

This perception of v4 being "quicker and easier" than v5 is all nonsense. I have taken just as much time to create my game (it's called "The Delivery" btw.) as I would do if I was using v5. But there again I am not an impatient person like you admit to being, I'm in no hurry!
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Lazzah wrote:I didn't realize that you could copy and paste a walkthrough into the v4 Runner, but surely even you can see that the macros are a very useful tool when testing your game? Instead of typing your walkthrough in a document, you create a macro and type the walkthrough commands into that. Once you have done that it is there all the time. You can even assign an F key to a particular macro so all you have to do to run the macro is press the F key. Much easier and quicker, none of this copying and pasting EVERY TIME you want to test your game. How tedious and time-consuming, it astonishes me that you had the patience to do that every time you wanted to test one of your games, David!

They're just different ways of doing the same thing, Lazzah, as I'm sure you're only too aware. I fail to see how pressing a key to activate a macro is any faster than pasting words. But hey, if right clicking and selecting paste is too much for you, go with your macros. I'm sure that'll save you so much time. You could then have more free time to devote to your number one pastime right now: finding flaws in v4 so you can tell the world about them.

Lazzah wrote: One small example: in v4 if you want to change the default message for any action you probably have to create a synonym. In v5 you have access to the general task itself so you can change the default message itself. Much easier and quicker!

Are you so desperate to find things to complain about that this is what you come up with? Creating a synonym takes a few mouse clicks. Try it and see. You know, I can’t quite decide if you're actually just making up flaws in v4 or if you actually see them as flaws. At this stage, you seem so desperate to find things to complain about that I half-expect you to start criticising the default fonts or something.

Lazzah wrote:This perception of v4 being "quicker and easier" than v5 is all nonsense.

Is that why v4 was vastly more popular in its day than v5? Is that why this place is a graveyard? Is that why hardly anyone uses ADRIFT these days? I'm pretty sure I've asked you all those questions before many, many times and yet, strangely enough, you always seem to duck out of giving a straight answer. So let me ask you again:

If v5 is so much better, why does no one use it?
David Whyld

Postby Lazzah » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:07 pm

David, I believe that the lack of interest in v5 is because of these reasons:

1: The complete absence of Campbell and lack of upgrades;

2: A dull and uninteresting website;

3: The introduction of the "rocket science" functions into v5, making it look far more complicated than it need be.

I am sure you can think of some other reasons but I don't believe that it is because v5 is "slower to use", "too complex" or whatever. I firmly believe that ADRIFT v5 is an excellent tool for writing IF text adventures and doesn't deserve to be ignored like it is at the moment. I am sure other Drifters would agree with me.
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:36 pm

1. Campbell has always gone off and done his own thing. It never made any real difference back in the v4 days. In the v5 days, even when he's been around and actively working on ADRIFT, it's still been a graveyard here.

2. The website has always been dull and uninteresting. It never stopped v4 being successful.

3. Valid point.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:52 pm

I have to say this thread becomes hilarious if you picture Lazzah as looking exactly like his avatar. Then you start reading and pick up all this disapproval and smoldering rage and the the sense he's about to snap and start swinging an axe or something. And just sort of spitting every time he uses the word David.

Anyway, you kids have fun, I know how it is when you just can't contain all that Christmas cheer. :wink:
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:58 am

1. :blush:

2. I did start having a play around with this, but never got it finished... http://www.adrift.co/new

3. Just because it's there, it doesn't mean you have to use it.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby RenatoDias » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:59 pm

Not to put more fuel to the discussion, guys. I recently installed v4 and felt the absence of many functions I found easier to do in v5. But, I've used v4 for so long before getting v5(before v5 had its first release). I didn't buy it because I couldn't, I was young at the time and only used the demo version. It was pretty easy to play around with, but v5 makes things considerably easier. Sorry, David, gotta side with Lazzah on this.
RenatoDias

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0