ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Game Size - Continued!!!

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Game Size - Continued!!!

Postby highways » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Since the original topic was published I have had a good ferret round with the following results.
Adrift is in it's own folder in C drive: Program files, and the size is 560Mb.
The folder contains 3 small folders - all below 1Mb.
There are about 150 photo's all well below 100Kb each
There are music files of 200Mb
The size of the game [taf] file is 235Mb.
There are 115 rooms, 43 objects, 280 tasks, 15 events, 9 characters.
When I open the .taf file it takes a minute to come onto the screen
When i play the game it takes nealy 2 minutes to go througth loading. processing ALR and indexing tasks.

I have created another Adrift folder containing exactly the above; except the taf file which was saved less than a month ago is 34Kb. The total size of the folder is 93Mb. How does a folder which contains music files of 200+Mb only read 93.??

Please note: I have played this new folder and made some minor adjustments, with the result that the first saving, changed taf to 80+Mb, and the second time, it changed it to 160+Mb. The size of this folder is now 423Mb.

I have been using Adrift on and off for 10 years and have never come across this before. By the way: i have completely duplicated what i have done on another computer with the same results.

This is really more annoying than being a problem, but there is something obviously wrong, and if my memory serves me right; there is a restriction on the size of the games you can put forward?

Your help will be appreciated.
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit. (No man is at all times wise)
highways

Re: Game Size - Continued!!!

Postby David Whyld » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:06 pm

I'm pretty sure ADRIFT 4 uses some kind of compression software. If you have a 100Kb game in ADRIFT 3.9 and convert it to ADRIFT 4, it'll be compressed to around 30Kb, so I'd hazard a guess it also compresses sound files as well. Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to solve your problem as sound and graphics are something I never really bothered with.

How essential to your game is the multimedia? If it's causing that many problems, it might be an idea to just release the game minus the sound and graphics. It won't affect me either way as I have my display set to hide graphics and I always play with the sound turned off.
David Whyld

Postby highways » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:36 am

I use graphics both as an historical value [circa 1870] and as a self explanatory description of the location. So they are pretty essential to the game. I was surprised to hear that you (and quite possibly others) who decline the multimedia, as this was one of the great parts of Adrift that drew me to it. ?? How we forget that we are not all of the same mind.
However, I have opted out of sound, and the taf file was reduced by 100Mb. I am going to look further into this as some of the sounds are for 'effect' only and should be small files.
By the way what is the restriction on the size of the game.?
Thank you for your help and for the "food for thought".
highways

Postby Campbell » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:52 pm

If it's reproducible, feel free to send it to me and I can take a look. Obviously, just the taf and one or two media files that exhibit the problem.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby highways » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Thank you for your interest in this problem. However, I can't reproduce anythingl because the problem has gone.
In reference to the replies I had, I went back to my various 'savings' and I believe that the underlying problem was the 'sounds' folder.
I deleted this folder from the program and have had no problems since. Further, I reintroduced sounds into the program with no problem; in that the 'taf' file is now 12Mb as opposed to 230Mb. I believe it was "just 'one of those things that happens"

Please continue to overlook us; we mere 'gamers of yesteryear' we can't always solve the problem ouselves.
highways

Postby Campbell » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:38 am

How odd. Well, I'm glad it's working properly now.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby highways » Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:40 am

Yes how odd, but... there are always buts, I think I have found what happened, which maybe of interest to others if they experience the same problem. I must start by saying that i like neatness and I have over 150 rooms, each with a picture, and I use background music throughout the game.

I have a folder called adrift which contains the adrift workings plus a folder called graphics and another folder called sounds, the latter being mostly music is into the high Mbs.
PROBLEM
When I create a room i go into adrift/graphics/a particular file. And the same for the sound file. When I save the taf file, I have noticed that the graphics and sound file I have used are also represented in the main adrift file, hence I have the files registered twice. i.e. if the music file in sounds is 84Mb, then it is duplicated to 168Mb!!.
The same applies to the graphics, although they are a lot smaller.
ACTION
I transferred all graphic and sound files to the main adrift file, (it did mean going through each room and re-inputting the files because they had now changed location) but it resolved the problem and I am now working with a 13Mb taf file.
highways

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:57 pm

One trick I heard was that only one task should reference any music file.

Any other place that needs to play that music should run that task somehow.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0