ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Overriding system 'get command'

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Overriding system 'get command'

Postby highways » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:55 pm

I have had to override the system command 'get' with a task because for some reason the system will not allow me to hold a designated number of items. (this goes back a long time and has never been resolved)
I have got round this problem with tasks using [expressions] which works perfectly. I am happy with this.
i.e. I create a key which is hidden. This is then moved inside a drawer through a task 'open drawer'. I then create a task 'get key' which changes it to 'held by player.... simple! - the expression is then changed to +1.
However, if i input get key from drawer it reverts to the system command of get; moves the key to held by player; but doesn't change the expression value. The result of this means that i can hold any number of items; which is not what is required and caused the problem in the first place.

Bearing in mind that my 'get %object%' request refers to all dynamic objects through the restriction that the object must be "in" or "on" an object; how do i get round this problem of the addition of 'from drawer' when there are a number of different named drawers and surfaces which hold objects? Am i right in thinking that each one will require it's own task?

If you think this sounds complicated: you should look at it from this end!

Any help. as always, would be appreciated.
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit. (No man is at all times wise)
highways

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0