ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Language Resource - changing

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Language Resource - changing

Postby highways » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 am

I do not have a problem with the general run of the mill resources; i.e. changing 'I open' to 'I have opened' etc.
However, there are slightly more complicated replies to commands that I wish to change, but have no idea of how to do it.

I have a drawer [which can hold items]. I have a key [initial position inside the drawer]
When I 'open drawer' I receive the reply I have opened the drawer. A key is inside the drawer.
The system is automatically picking up 'the drawer' in both instances. I have tried various permutations including %object% to no avail.
There is also the condition of having more than one object in the drawer!!

I have quite a few objects inside various named drawers, and do not want to use a task every time I open one.

I want the reply to read "There is a key inside the drawer" How do I do it?

'
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit. (No man is at all times wise)
highways

Re: Language Resource - changing

Postby Campbell » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:18 am

The ALR just does simple text substitutions. In this scenario, I would probably just do a replacement on

adrift Code: Select all
I have opened the drawer.  A key is inside the drawer.|There is a key inside the drawer

This would then cover the initial opening of the drawer, and will only be affected if the player puts another object inside the drawer.

If you want a lot more flexibility than that, you would probably need to use ADRIFT 5.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Language Resource - changing

Postby highways » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:36 am

sounds fine but.... won't i have to produce a line in alr for each static object (drawer/cupboard/safe/table/chairs) and the various objects that are in/on them? As explained I tried using %object% but it didn't seem to work. This has only recently come to light when i deleted a lot of tasks dealing with opening things. To get what i want... would it be simpler to return to tasks?

By-the-by; i can't even begin to understand where to begin in adrift 5. I know questions have been asked re importing adrift 4 into 5, has this now been resolved? or would i have to rewrite all 167 rooms and 300 tasks again?

Reading through your beginings with adrift you have obviously come a long way and adrift 5 appears an obvious choice. However, bearing in mind that I am 71, i come under the heading of 'teaching an old dog new tricks' : and i find it difficult to go and get the thrown stick. thank you for your support and look forward to your reply.
Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit. (No man is at all times wise)
highways

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0