ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT 3.9 Code help

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

ADRIFT 3.9 Code help

Postby Justin.Morrison » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:14 am

I'm making a game and have ran into a bit of a brick wall. I need the player to be able to easily see some of the variables I set up like experience , level and Glory. But I can't find a way to do it with just the options I see and I am absolute rubbish at code. What I'm looking for is a way to make a task that the player can type in and it gives them a list of their current stats. I've seen it once in a game called "pervert action crisis" where the player types "stats" and it does it. :anyone:
Justin.Morrison

Re: ADRIFT 3.9 Code help

Postby Lazzah » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:09 pm

Justin.Morrison wrote:I'm making a game and have ran into a bit of a brick wall. I need the player to be able to easily see some of the variables I set up like experience , level and Glory. But I can't find a way to do it with just the options I see and I am absolute rubbish at code. What I'm looking for is a way to make a task that the player can type in and it gives them a list of their current stats. I've seen it once in a game called "pervert action crisis" where the player types "stats" and it does it. :anyone:

Forgive me for asking but why on earth are you using such an ancient version of ADRIFT? The current version is v.5 and if you were using that I and several other Drifters would be able to help you, as what you ask above would be easy in ADRIFT5. I never used v.4, let alone v.3.9, so I don't think I can help. Sorry. :(
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby David Whyld » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:10 pm

It's a while since I used V3.9, but I think you ought to be able to create a task called "stats" and in the text window type something like

%experience%
%level%
%glory%

and that will replace the text in %% with the numerical equivalent of the variable whenever the player types "stats" in the game.

For what it's worth, I half-agree with Lazzah's comment. V3.9 is very, very old. It hasn't been updated in over a decade. If V5 puts you off (and I can imagine why it would), you could still use V4 which is pretty much V3.9 with lots of useful additions.
David Whyld

Postby Justin.Morrison » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:41 am

David Whyld wrote:It's a while since I used V3.9, but I think you ought to be able to create a task called "stats" and in the text window type something like

%experience%
%level%
%glory%

and that will replace the text in %% with the numerical equivalent of the variable whenever the player types "stats" in the game.

For what it's worth, I half-agree with Lazzah's comment. V3.9 is very, very old. It hasn't been updated in over a decade. If V5 puts you off (and I can imagine why it would), you could still use V4 which is pretty much V3.9 with lots of useful additions.

Thank you. I hope this works I'll try it out the next chance I get. I'm terrible with code so I never would have gotten that on my own. Is there somewhere I can find something to help me get better at code? I use 3.9 because I don't have permission to download, install anything or use the USB ports on the computer I am currently using to type this, and the computer I have 3.9 on can't connect to the internet right now.
Justin.Morrison

Postby David Whyld » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:19 am

If you go to the downloads section on the main site, you'll find the V4 manual. That should help you get started.
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0