ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Minicomp Results - And the winner was...

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby davidw » Mon Jul 07, 2003 12:08 pm

The competition's now ended and the winner was... me! Posted below are the results in full (with the names of the voters omitted to spare them any embarrassment). Many thanks for everyone who helped.

GAME 1

Diary of a Stripper by Christopher Cole

[ 5 ] Overall Rating
[ 7 ] Standard of Writing
[ 9 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 3 ] Storyline

[ 6 ] Overall Rating
[ 8 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 5 ] Storyline

Comment 1: A difficult game to comment on. It wasn't "quite" as explicit as I'd first thought it was going to be but then again it was hardly a game for the easily offended either. The writing was good in a perverse sort of way yet the gameplay side really let things down. Often I seemed to be forced along a set path and there were quite a few times when the command I needed was actually given to me - making the game so easy to complete that there never really seemed a challenge to it.

Comment 2: It isn't exactly easy to review a game like this, without being too explicit. The writing was nicely done, and the goal made clear at the beginning. I think the game would have been much better with a little more story/plot. Having the commands given to you took away from it too. It would have been more fun to try things and see what happend than to have it all set out for you. It had a very linear feel to it.

GAME 2

Thorn by Eric Mayer

[ 8 ] Overall Rating
[ 8 ] Standard of Writing
[ 7 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 8 ] Storyline

[ 8 ] Overall Rating
[ 8 ] Standard of Writing
[ 6 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 8 ] Storyline

[ 4 ] Overall Rating
[ 6 ] Standard of Writing
[ 9 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 5 ] Storyline

[ 7 ] Overall Rating
[ 5 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 9 ] Storyline

Comment 1: Very well written and a surprising amount of depth for such a small game. Not a big game but then the limits of the comp prevented it from being any larger. There were no real puzzles as such and most of the tasks could be completed with next to no trouble at all but this was well worth the effort and my favourite of the entries.

Comment 2: Aside of the lack of punctuation, the game was very well written. I was able to imagine the surroundings as if I were really there. I think one of my favorite descriptions was the one where you are surrounded by the three large stones. Could use some polishing up, but overall was a nice change from the usual.

Comment 3: Hmmm. I'm not sure what this was all about. Not very interactive but an okay story.

Comment 4: As for writing/bugs, there were several misspellings (?). At one point, I was able to open the desk before I should have and as such, the map would never appear in the desk. The game did not explain why I was "out of time", though I guessed I was supposed to find something while the other character was out of the room. After restarting and waiting, I was able to properly find the map. Because this is a fairly linear game, there wasn't much to do and is easily completable. The premise and implementation of the story was catching. I wouldn't mind seing this developed into a larger more involved piece of IF.

GAME 3

Monsters by Tech

[ 6 ] Overall Rating
[ 5 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 6 ] Storyline

[ 6 ] Overall Rating
[ 4 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 7 ] Storyline

[ 5 ] Overall Rating
[ 5 ] Storyline

Comment 1: Getting anywhere at the start of the game was pretty nightmarish due to "daybed" being referred to in the room description yet "jump bed" needing to be typed to actually reach it! I was also frustrated by mother showing up every five seconds and carrying me back to bed - wouldn't she have become a little concerned at her children running around in the middle of the night if they did it time and again? But annoying points aside, this was a well written and interesting game.

Comment 2: I was a little frustrated at trying to talk to Pooky (don't most kids usually talk to their stuffed animals?) and was told that Pooky wasn't there, while the entire time I was holding the bear. I liked the idea of the game, but it really did have quite a few bugs that need to be worked out.

Comment 3: Is a two-year old really this aware? The PC acted more like a four-year old. Not a major concern. Quite a few problems with the two beds ("which bed, the daybed, or sissy's bed?" "daybed" "That's still too ambiguous!" - "jump to sissy's bed" "Wheee Boinng" "jump to bed" works though, etc.), and the storyline caused me to lose interest rather quickly.

GAME 4

Neighbours From Hell by Davidw

[ 7 ] Overall Rating
[ 8 ] Storyline

[ 7 ] Overall Rating
[ 8 ] Bugs (10 out of 10 equals no bugs]
[ 8 ] Storyline

[ 6 ] Overall Rating
[ 9 ] Standard of Writing
[ 7 ] Storyline

Comment 1: Enjoyable and interesting. There was some guess the verb and built in hints would have kept me playing longer. Nicely written. There were some missing descriptions (you see no such thing) but nothing that took away from the play.

Comment 2: I liked it even though it was a pretty average and typical adventure hunt. It was just hard enough and strange enough to keep my interest. A few minor spelling mistakes and some guess the verbage, but overall it was pretty fun. It reminded me of "The 'Burbs". And the 'x me' response was the default and I'm a firm believer that this should be changed in every game.

Comment 3: I gave an overall rating of 6. I found this a hard game to get anywhere with. My max score of 22 out of 100. Perhaps a few additional ways to solve some of the obvious puzzles. I didn't use the debugger though it was available. I thought that you should have been able to take some chairs to get at the lightbulb. Or that you could hit whatever was on the chandelier off with a pole. I thought you should have been able to distract the dog with the ball. There were some guess the verb issues for me and some obvious aliases that didn't work (dog and tv being two of them).

OVERALL RATINGS
1) Neighbours From Hell by Davidw - 3 votes; average score = 29.3

2) Thorn by Eric Mayer - 4 votes; average score = 28.0

3) Diary of a Stripper by Christopher Cole - 2 votes; average score = 25.5

4) Monsters by Tech - 3 votes; average score = 23.3
davidw

Postby Mystery » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:07 pm

Congratulations to everyone who participated and took the time to play and judge the games. A job well done.

My favorite was Thorn, by Eric Mayer.
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:11 pm

Yes, well done DavidW for running and winning the minicomp. Also well done to the others who entered.

Just don't forget the Adrift Summer Minicomp 2003 which closes towards the end of August.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Woodfish » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:16 pm

Well done, davidw!

My computer's been infected with a virus (why didn't I put my games on a floppy?) so I've been off the net for a bit, so I didn't get a chance to vote. Downloaded them a minute ago, so I look forward to playing them! And I'll be sending 'Weird Stuff' along just as soon as I can get back on my computer!
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:18 pm

Congratulations to everyone who entered and thanks davidw for giving me the incentive to finally finish anoher game however small. Now I shall go and play the games, which I did not do, because of my bad experience when I entered the Annual If Comp a few years back, started playing other entries and was horrified, not by the terrible quality of the other entries, no indeed, they were excellent. I was horrified by the realization ---I had no business entering!!!!

After I sent The Thorn off, as an experiment, I exported the file as text which gives you a very nice file (which would've been easy to spell check - hint to myself for next time, since the built in spell checker annoys me) and did my best to stick in Inform coding. Although I didn't announce it, that version is in the If Archive now for curiosity seekers.
Eric
Web Site | Blog
Eric

Postby Tech » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:13 pm

I wanted to say congratulations to everyone in the minicomp, especially the winners. I wanted to thank everyone who judged and sent in their comments. I have plans to work through the comments, add a few more puzzles & then post the revised version on my site. Maybe upload it to the adventures page if I'm brave enough...

Which brings me to a thought, with all the 1 hour, minicomp, comp entries this year; Let's not forget that the end of year competition is open to everything released this year. So, I am trying to encourage you all to build on what you got, polish off some edges and give us something to look forward to for Christmas!

:D
Unlock the *smacking* thread!
Killer Speedy Bees Hum the Hymn of IF Salvation - ADRIFT.
Peaceful Pokey Bees Scream the Chords of Natural Langage IF.
Tech

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0