ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Results - The Third One-Hour Game Competition

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Woodfish » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:09 pm

First, I apologise for taking so long to upload these, but don't worry I'm not getting a life or anything like that.

Secondly, thanks to everyone who took part in this competition. I thank everybody who took the time to judge, and thank you even more to the people who wrote comments, which was almost everyone. Included at the end of this post is an anoymous list of all the judges' comments.

I think that it's been the best ever one-hour game competition, and I really am glad that so many people entered. It's helped alot that such a large proportion of the community entered, because everyone can't wait to see how themselves and others have faired.

Well, wait no longer, because the winner is...

Apprentice of the Demonhunter by the Mad Monk! Praise be to Monk!

In an EXTREMELY close second is The Farthest Shore by Stewart J. McAbney!

Congratulations to Mystery, who just made it into the top three in third place, with Just my Imagination - Musings of a Child!

Fourth was the 'explosive' Doom Cat!! by Eric Mayer!

And closing the top five was Woodfish (wahey!) with Forum 2!

Here's the rest:

6. Saffire
7. The Revenge of Clueless Bob Newbie
8. The Revenge of Clueless Bob Newbie 2
9. Chicken of Doom
10. ASDFA
11. Crazy Radioactive Monkey
12. The Pyramid of Hamaratum
13. Quest For Flesh

Well done, everyone! Here are your eagerly-awaited comments, in a random order:

Chicken of Doom

Quite clearly Mel, you have forgotten to take your tablets. It is sad that our tiny community contains so many who are SO troubled.

I found myself doing things out of order and confusing the story. Some hilarious writing, however.

A bit too confusing and nonsensical for me, though I did laugh out loud during the introduction.

The title was about the most normal thing about this game which was, if anything, even crazier than the original. The evil chicken of doom has returned and only YOU can stop it. The hows of completing the game are pretty much explained right at the start and it's then left to you to figure out exactly how to do them. A few guess the verb problems arose but these were relatively minor and didn't spoil the game one bit. For a one hour game, there were a huge amount of clever ideas used here and more than a few laugh out loud moments (the Smell-O-Matic being particularly hilarious). A contender with "Doom Cat" for funniest ever one hour game.

Apprentice of the Demonhunter

For a game written in just an hour, this had a surprising amount of depth and there was a genuine sense of unease as my demonhunter character wandered about the ruined village. The mood was further heightened by some atmospheric locations. The only bad point from my point of view was the kind of jokey style of writing which conflicted with the general feel of the game: comedy and horror seldom mix well and here was an example where it didn't. That minor qualm aside, AOTD was a great little game and I'm hoping the writer rewrites it as a full size game one day. It certainly has potential.

Well done, a completeable game which could be rounded and developed with time.

Liked it alot - vivid descriptions, and an interesting concept.

Neat encounter with a demon. Some good descriptions.

Very entertaining and nicely written. I had no problems with trying to "guess" what I was supposed to do. The author provided vivid descriptions with subtle hints that encouraged my progress.

I wouldn't mind seeing this game expanded as the parts that were there kept my interest. I think so much could be done using the evil auras to expand the game areas. I found the game to be straightforward playable. I think that more care should be given to the naming of objects to avoid confusion.

Well written, but the puzzles are a little too vague, and a lot of guess-the-verb results from it.

The Revenge of Clueless Bob Newbie

I find working through these adventures frustrating due to the fact that Clueless Bob Newbie adventures don't always go with the obvious. & yet, that seems to be Bob's point.
Good idea, funny first few turns, got a bit bored of it though.
Solid game, with a nice variety of endings. Surprising that it was made in an hour. One of the best games of the comp.

No way this masterpiece was written in an hour.

Wow. Another full fledged albeit short game with story, puzzles and remarkably well fleshed out locations.

Forum 2

I like it, good fun - even if I was disembowelled!

This reoccurring story-line actually works for me (with a little cheating in the debugger if I hadn't been that impatient). Several of the puzzles made sense in the fact that there were clues as to what to do next. I'd appreciate a bit more static objects & tasks to back up descriptions. I got a little preoccupied with being able to see all the way to the "bottom of the fountain". Again, this could be more straightforward with a few more clues as to what to do with each object.

Bit of a quest, some puzzles, nice twist at the end.

All in all I didn't enjoy this game anywhere near as much as "Forum" - it was better written but lacked the inspired craziness of the former game and while I'm sure it was intended as a comedy game it didn't come across as comical for the most part. And as for the ending... well, the less said the better. Strange just doesn't describe it. So... better writing than the first game but a far lesser game overall.

A good sequel to a good game, although not quite as good as the first.

That Crazy Radioactive Monkey

A different scenario

I liked the idea. However, I needed way more clues as to how to fit the puzzles together. I would have never come up with the proper sequence myself. Especially since I too linearly thought that the springs would never be removable from the sofa. From now on, I'm going to attempt to take everything not nailed down. I relied entirely on the debugger here.
I'm not sure if I should be liking this game or being horrified over the idea of a gameshow where the audience wet themselves with laughter whenever you injure your poor co-star, Jojo! Reality TV has nothing on this game for sheer twisted novelty value. There were quite a few laugh out loud moments, mostly whenever you figured out a new and unusual way of hurting Jojo. I'll say one thing for the writer: he's sure got a warped sense of humour (although I guess the same could be said for me as I found it very funny indeed). One of Mel's usual problems - guess the verb - was the game's only real letdown. "Take" had to be used on one item but "get" wouldn't work, and quite a few of the Jojo-murdering-tasks were pretty much trial and error. And this game also contains the weirdest line I've ever read in an IF game: "Small springs stick out of the couch like weirdos at a mall." But bad points aside this was well worth playing.

Very elaborate but I confess I couldn't figure out what the prank should be. It seemed a kind of arbitrary sort of puzzle and I'm lousy at even very obvious puzzles.

Too crazy for me, but nice, if wierd, idea.

Doom Cat

Enjoyable, even if I couldn't work out what to do with that damn cat. Wouldn't let me throw it out the window.

Produced the first real laugh that I've gotten from an IF game in many years. Enjoyed the twist ending and felt that I should have seen that coming. Finished this without cheating and felt that I could have explored it a bit more.

The most capitals I've seen used in a game. Pretty good, but I ran into a few technical problems (throwing the cat out the window and not being able to look under the mattress) and it caused me to restart the game.

This game was the 'BOMB'! Pardon the pun. I tried flushing the cat down the toilet, throwing it in the shower, stuffing it in the fridge, putting it in the oven and turning it on. I figured the oven would contain the blast....like it does in cartoons. I loved the sick and twisted humor of it!

Undoubtedly the maddest game in the comp (and I'm saying that despite the fact that I've not played them all yet), this was sheer lunacy from start to finish. Your cat is ticking. Yep. Ticking. So you need to find a way to dispose of it before it explodes and kills you. Saying any more would spoil the game and this is a little gem of a game that you don't want spoiling; the ending is hilarious (I think I almost wet myself when reading the cat's message). It would be difficult to review the style of writing used here but the widely varying font sizes added a further mad element to the proceedings. Funny, mad, great.

ASDFA

Another game that belied the short amount of time spent on it, not quite as much fun as Bob the Newbie though.

I was completely lost here and things didn't work as expected. It was a bit disconcerting and I want to go back later and retry because things didn't work as expected. It felt that I was either a total goob or something was wrong with the taf.

Wasn't really sure what I was doing there, or what to do.

A pretty good fantasy adventure, but kind of bland. You never really know what you're supposed to do.

Remarkably well developed for a one hour game with characters appearing and changing room states and a system to tell you if the game is still winnable. Needless to say, I got stuck, so it must be a REAL game!

The Farthest Shore

I liked the bleak descriptions in this game, even if there wasn't much point to it, and a bit of a confusing 'puzzle'.
Moody and evocative even if it is nonesense. Very interesting images.

Very linear, but the writing was nice, as always.

A very well written game, although one without any real point to it as far as I could see. Indeed, it can be completed (if that's the right word) in a mere three moves. There are others things to do during the course of the game - wander around the island you are shipwrecked on, feed a cow - but these are pretty much just filler and make no difference to the ending or the way the game plays. As an exercise in writing it was certainly well done but I couldn't help but feel that it was a wasted opportunity.

Well written and detailed, kind of like a serious version of Far from Home.

Cool writing, though not very obvious what to do. I quickly ran to a point where there appeared to be nothing additional to do.

Just my Imagination - Musings of a Child

Very well written. Reminded me of "Thumbelina" of which I was subjected to listen to the Burle Ives LP dozens of times. I worked straight through this one with some guess the verb with he rock/floss/spoon puzzle.

Very well written, but you wish the game would last longer. There's really only two puzzles in it.

Wow, that was wierd, but had a great surreal feel to it. Kind Alice in Wonderlandesque

I couldn't really say I liked this game but it had a kind of charm that was amusing for the time I spent playing it (not long - it was a very small game in a competition of small games). Puzzles were nice and easy to solve and none required any great deal of effort to figure out. The standard of writing was fairly okay throughout although the opening paragraphs could certainly have done with some tidying up as far as punctuation was concerned. Amusing for five minutes but not much longer.

Brilliant. A few logical little puzzles, several striking images a nice glimpse into a child's mind.

Didn't like it particularly - story too wierd and pointless, hit GTV problems. Nice finishing line though.

The Revenge of Clueless Bob Newbie 2

Not as good as the first.

Kind of a short story with logical puzzles, a few amusing characters, good motivation. A little of everything.

As so often, sequel fails to live up to the original

Pretty much the same as the other Clueless Bob Newbie game, except shorter and easier.

The Pyramid of Hamaratum

The writing was very nice and direct, mixed with a little imagination. I'd very much like to see KF write more games. This was NOT a sympathy vote! I really enjoyed it.

Even for an hour, this was a remarkably small and straightforward game. It basically involvespicking up one object and putting it somewhere - and that's it! There are no real puzzles along the way. Unfortunately grammtical errors abound and aren't helped by the style of writing which was a lot less fluent than I would have expected. A first effort but, unfortunately, not a particularly memorable one.

Nice mini pyramid crawl. A complete 2 kb adventure. Slight guess the verb on the final puzzle.

Reminded me of Mulkerinns' game, but although interesting, a bit short and pointless.

Throw in a few more traps, trick latches, mummies and treasure. Definitely worth an expansion. There is something to be said for the sense of "eminent doom" in a piece of IF.

Entertaining, but seems a little on the empty side. Still quite good for being made in an hour.

Saffire

A strange game that's written extremely well. In my opinion, the best game of the comp.

The writer's liking for strange games seems to have hit a low here. "Saffire" started off quite promisingly - you're backed up against a wall with a gunman closing in - but then goes rapidly downhill. I'm not quite sure what to make of what happens after that but it certainly wasn't anything I found very likeable. "Saffire" came across as a very non-user-friendly game that didn't even have a hint or two for when the player got stuck.

Four alternate endings in an hour, plus "graphics"!

Again, for some reason or other, I began clueless and went nowhere even THOUGH I thought this was very well written.
Sorry Woody, not my scene, although it is well presented.
Interesting.

Quest for Flesh

One of those games I may have judged too quickly, but didn't really get into

Disgusting. Appalling. Offensive. After inquiring politely about the title, my wife was shocked that I could write such trash. She says that I am a sad little man and never to be allowed to write IF like this again.

I found this a bit too unpleasnt, and couldn't understand how to win.

Intriguing opening leads to a game with a too-strict time limit and only one location. An idea that would work better as a full game.

Despite being well written, I couldn't get into this game at all. There seemed to be precious little to do and the only tasks involved eating a cat and a man. It also seemed to be one of those strange games that didn't have a proper ending - the player leaves the start location and dies. A couple of events - the cat and the man - give you a boost to your score but are unable to prevent the inevitable ending. The word "pointless" sprang to mind a few times while I was playing. In a way it's a pity this game isn't better because the idea behind it seemed like a good one. Unfortunately it wasn't very well executed and left me feeling that, for this author, an hour just wasn't long enough to write a proper game.

Once again, thanks for contributing to the competition, and well done to the Mad Monk for winning! Praise to ADRIFT!

Edited By Woodfish on 25 Oct. 2003 at 21:10
Woodfish
Woodfish

Postby KFAdrift » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:25 pm

Congrats one and all, but particularly Monk.

Maybe we should have a comp for the best version of one of these games developed by the end of the year.

Edited By KFAdrift on 25 Oct. 2003 at 21:32
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby davidw » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:29 pm

Well done, Monk!

I guess I can live with 7th, 8th and 10th. :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Some surprises in the voting. Games I considered good didn't do that well and several I didn't like at all did very well.

Just one question, Woody: are you going to put up the actual scores so we can see how close it was?
davidw

Postby Mystery » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:41 pm

Congrats Monk! Nice job to everyone else.

My favorite game was Doom Cat, which I gave a 10. I felt so rushed playing, worring if at any second it was going to actually explode. (lol, I'm not sure if it would) Once I finally got rid of the cat I thought it was all over and was a little surprised that it wasn't. The ending was great, had me laughing out loud.

Edited By Mystery on 25 Oct. 2003 at 13:55
~Myst~
Mystery

Postby davidw » Sat Oct 25, 2003 8:44 pm

Bad luck to Tech who I really thought should have done better than last place. :/
davidw

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:10 pm

No one deserved to finish last in this competition. All the games were good in their own ways.

Congrats to Monk. For what it is worth I had Demonhunter a strong second, closely followed by Saffire and the Farthest Shore in a near tie, as I recall. However, I gave the one ten to the game I expected to win in a runaway - Just My Imagination. In a competition where writers managed to come up with a lot of striking images,the ones in this game just worked best for me. Perhaps I was recalling my own kids when they were that age? (Or was that when I was writing Doom Cat!!)

Thanks for the wonderful comments on DC. In light of them maybe I'll polish it up a bit. Given more than an hour I expect I can recall how to generate random urgent exhortations.

I finished higher in the rankings in this comp than I did at that orienteering meet last week. That's for sure. Thanks to Woodfish for this prod to my creativity and some enjoyable game playing.
Eric
Web Site | Blog
Eric

Postby MileStyle » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:57 pm

Firstly, congratulations to Monk.

Secondly, in response to Woodfish's review in the Reviews forum: "No, I didn't understand what it was about at all, but the descriptions were very atmospheric and it felt like a good, enjoyable game to play. I had a problem with interacting with the cow and the basket description, and I didn't understand why feeding the cow should help you get rescued, but I liked it for the atmosphere."

The way I saw it was as a person alone at sea barely alive due to starvation and/or hypothermia. All they can dream of is rescue, of survival. And these hopes lead nicely into an imagined island, greyed out due the wearied mind's inability to fill it with details and littered with objects that - plucked from maddened thoughts - come together in a strange hotch-potch of ideas - the tree, the signpost, the shed, the cow - none of them overly important; just there. And then, the light at the end which you travel to (an acceptance that the mind portrays of dying) which becomes the light as the person, alone in their dinghy, enters the sea from, and drowns. Dies.

Edited By MileStyle on 26 Oct. 2003 at 23:44
What, can the Devil speak true?
MileStyle

Postby davidw » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:04 pm

MileStyle wrote:Secondly, in response to davidw's review in the Reviews forum: "No, I didn't understand what it was about at all, but the descriptions were very atmospheric and it felt like a good, enjoyable game to play. I had a problem with interacting with the cow and the basket description, and I didn't understand why feeding the cow should help you get rescued, but I liked it for the atmosphere."

Er... I didn't write that. That was Woodfish's review. :)
davidw

Postby Cannibal » Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:33 pm

The way I saw it was as a person alone at sea barely alive due to starvation and/or hypothermia. All they can dream of is rescue, of survival. And these hopes lead nicely into an imagined island, greyed out due the wearied mind's inability to fill it with details and littered with objects that - plucked from maddened thoughts - come together in a strange hotch-potch of ideas - the tree, the signpost, the shed, the cow - none of them overly important; just there. And then, the light at the end which you travel to (an acceptance that the mind portrays of dying) which becomes the light as the person, alone in their dinghy, enters the sea from, and drowns. Dies.

A sorta comedy type thing then? ;/

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby J. J. Guest » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:07 pm

Well done to everyone and Monk especially. I'm looking forward to playing some of these games when I get home and I finally have some time to myself. I'll certainly be entering the next one!
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Postby Cannibal » Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:41 pm

Yes, big congratulations to Monk.

Well done :)

Cannibal
Games:
The Plague (Redux), The Woods Are Dark, The Night That Dripped Blood
Cannibal

Postby MileStyle » Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:46 pm

davidw wrote:I didn't write that. That was Woodfish's review. :)

That's wht I said the first time...*

* after editing

The lesson learned is alcohol and ADRIFT don't mix. ;/
What, can the Devil speak true?
MileStyle

Postby The Mad Monk » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:12 am

Yipe! Is this my punishment for spending a day away from the computer? :0

Well done to everybody who entered! Sorry I didn't send in my form (:) but things caught up with... things... and stuff. And I didn't get it in.
In related news, Kenneth Ham reveals that he knows precisely squat about fossils. Film at eleven.

That's Poodle's lovely avatar up there...
The Mad Monk

Postby Tech » Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:41 am

Congratulations to Monk! Thank you to everyone else who entered and voted! It was so much fun to play so many different games all at once.

Bad luck to Tech who I really thought should have done better than last place.

Ahh, but 13th is the exact # that this entry is best associated with! Now, we shall never speak of my entry again.

However, I really wish that I had the aptitude & speed that the other entries displayed along with the level of writing. One hour, even uninterrupted is not anywhere close to enough time.
Unlock the *smacking* thread!
Killer Speedy Bees Hum the Hymn of IF Salvation - ADRIFT.
Peaceful Pokey Bees Scream the Chords of Natural Langage IF.
Tech

Postby Tech » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:11 pm

Would someone throw out a walkthrough for Saffire, Please?
Unlock the *smacking* thread!
Killer Speedy Bees Hum the Hymn of IF Salvation - ADRIFT.
Peaceful Pokey Bees Scream the Chords of Natural Langage IF.
Tech

Next

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0