ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Does anyone else care what the map looks like?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Campbell » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:15 pm

:oh-no:
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Sprite » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:54 pm

Aww, poor Campbell!

To be honest I only ever need a very simplistic map. I think if you make a room 'feel' bigger through the descriptions and the objects in it, it shouldn't matter if it's the same size on the map.

I only use the map as an abstract method of working out where I am; it doesn't need to be very sophisticated for that.
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Postby djchallis » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:06 pm

I think Poodle's summary sounds perfect.
Is there any chance of it happening or is it a bit too over-the-top?
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby DungeonFrog » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:20 pm

Some nice features :)

Why not use paint and import pre made maps as graphics? :peep:
DungeonFrog

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:39 am

DungeonFrog wrote:Some nice features :)

Why not use paint and import pre made maps as graphics? :peep:

That's what I suggested, it would mean far less of a headache for Campbell and an easy way for even non-artists to add a little visual flare to their games.
Lumin

Postby Campbell » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:46 am

No, the plan for v5 is to do exactly that - either have an automap feature like the existing map, or to be able to design the map manually which will turn off automap. Then, maps can be layed out exactly as you desire with rooms not necessarily being layed out in a logical manner, and also having rooms bigger than 1x1. But as I said, these are just ideas at the moment.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby NickyDude » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Now here's a map that would be great if it could be implemented: let's see ADRIFT draw this. :)
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby DungeonFrog » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:53 am

Nice maze rofl
DungeonFrog

Postby Louisisthebest_007 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:10 pm

I think the best map implementation would include most or all of these ideas;

* Leaving auto-map in, for those who aren't bothered in it or don't have problems in making their game fit into grids.

* Be able to resize locations, allowing for long corridors or large halls that would reasonably be larger than single rooms would be.

* Maybe have the option to upload a large map image to be used as a backdrop then use dots and lines to show where the player is standing and which directions move where. If the environment is meant to be 'unknown', give the power to obscure the backdrop image until the player traverses the dot-lines to reveal portions of the map themselves.

* Take the Microsoft flow-chart approach, design locations to be customised shapes with lines straight or curvy to connect each room to one another, complete with the option to resize and move each room to where they would logically fit with the architecture.

* Freely move the entire map around while playing, as opposed to either staying with the player at center or keeping the whole map center where you can't see the player's position anyway. If the player wants to check the room structure from the beginning of the game (if visible) and they're a bit far away, they should be able to scroll over then scroll back when they're finished.

* Maybe be able to add useful icons or annotations to maps, from something simple as a line with 'north' written on it to show that going north will send you on that path, to something like a path being blocked because it is 'Locked'. It could be useful to visually show significant objects or characters are in that room and possibly 'where' in the room they are to pick up or talk to.

* If it isn't already easily implemented through a work-around or ALR, maybe the option to specify customised commands for entering places such as building entrances or portals of different colours that can't be placed with a compass direction or ambiguous with a single up/down/in/out action. I've played a MUCK before that used a shortcut of the first letter(s) of a building/portal name for entering such a place much like using the first letter(s) of ADRIFT's compass direction n s e w.

For instances, if there were two exits north and south and two buildings in the same location 'Barney's Bowling alley' and 'Simon's sweet-shop'. Maybe the ability to make the command 'b' to talk into Barney's, while to go into Simon's you'd need to type 'si' instead, since South already takes the single s shortcut. And since there are two buildings, a single 'in' cannot encompass both at the same time.

----
I think I'd probably have more and add onto this, but I don't have the ability to edit my posts, despite having registering my ADRIFT. What do you guys think? Would you pro-map writers think these were good ideas?
Louisisthebest_007

Postby NickyDude » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:25 pm

On a serious note, a map something like this would be cool: http://infocom.elsewhere.org/gallery/zork1_invisiclues/map-2-3.jpg
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby phkb » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:29 am

Thinking as a programmer, I would hate to try an implement a system where a graphical map can be imported into the game and then masked as the player moves around, or showing lines or dot to show the current location. Major, major headache coding wise, with so many options to try and cover off. My feeling is that an enhancement to the existing automap would be preferable and probably more achieveable. Adding some user-level control over the position and size of a room on the automap makes much more sense to me.
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 am

Under TADS you could probably do that with clever use of HTML tables.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby phkb » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:15 am

You could do it in a lot of systems, but the concept of ADRIFT is to limit the developers need to get down and dirty with code. Trying to implement a map system based on an external graphic image without forcing the user to do coding of some sort make me go cold! :O
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:25 pm

With a powerful language, it's possible to have an external program that generates code for the appropriate language.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Indeed, I'm sure it could be done in assembly...
Campbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0