ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Scoring

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby AndrewF » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:17 pm

I'm not asking how to use the scoring system, I've got that. :haha:
What I'd like to know is, what you do in your games? ;)

How much do you assign each task?

Do you only assign a score to those tasks along the main winning plot route?

Or also score on other "bonus" tasks, thus have the player able to win without hitting the max score?

Enquiring minds want to know :cool:
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:22 pm

I think that depends on your temper, so to speak.
Back in the "old" days, it was usual to give scores along the winning route of the game so the player knew if he was doing the "right" thing. But today where so many games are not liniar, I guess it's up to the author.
If you want to give score for solved puzzles, I suggest you tell about the scre in the intro, and also mention that a max score is not necessary to win the game.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 54Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby AndrewF » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Ahhhh... so i could have a game with no traditional scoring at all... :cool:

In that case... i'll have to deal with the default "You scored 0/0" message rofl
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:47 pm

I generally don't use the scoring system. I tend to implement alternate scoring systems if I need them, or else I'll attach scores to things like scenes which I know will only happen once. This helps with the problem of players otherwise possibly losing the points and having no way to regain the points (since scores are not able to be made more than once in ADRIFT 4's default scoring system).

The scale of your scoring system is up to you. Is a success worth a point? Or is it worth 100 points? 1,000,000? What sort of final score do you want players to have?
Duncan_B

Postby AndrewF » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 am

To be honest, I don't think I need a scoring system. I just didn't want to leave it out if players were expecting it for some reason. :)
- L. Long.

AndrewF

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0