ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Poll: IA Awards 2008? - Should it be done?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Poll: IA Awards 2008? - Should it be done?

Yes.
89%
No.
11%

Total votes : 19

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 pm

So, I just got thinking... there were no InsideADRIFT Awards for 2008. Would anyone be interested in holding a retrospective award nomination and subsequent vote? Personally, I'm leaning toward yes. Yes, we should.

I think 2008 was a pretty important year in ADRIFT. For one thing, it was the last year in which David Whyld published anything (including Without a Clue,Wolves at the Door, and the last of his Back to Life trilogy, A Date With Death). It's worth mentioning that of those three, Without a Clue made 2nd place in Spring Thing that year, and A Date With Death placed in the top 10 at IFComp. And how many games is that now, David? 68? 70? InsideADRIFT Lifetime Achievement Award, anyone? David Whyld's efforts alone (and, alas, his withdrawal from the community) made 2008 a memorable year in its own right.

On top of that, it was the first year that Abbi held a competition-- the OddComp-- and her competitions have been a tradition in the community every year since. Not to mention, it was an incredibly popular competition, with 10 entries-- pretty dang sizeable for an ADRIFT competition. It was a fun competition to write for and to play, and it garnered a lot of reviews, which is something that many other competitions haven't quite managed to do as well.

2008's ECTOCOMP was also pretty dang memorable, being the largest of its time (superceded only by this year's). It also had a lot of good games in it. People were energized. By sheer volume alone, 2008 marks one particular high point in the output of ADRIFT competitions. It was also the last year that veteran 'DRIFTer revgiblet released a full work of IF (his other work being a piece for ADRIFT IntroComp and an incomplete sketch for the September Writing Spiel).

We saw a lot of really interesting experiments with ADRIFT in 2008, too. Richard Otter's Blast, revgiblet's Conversation with a Hitchhiker, djchallis's I Am the Law, and my own the virtual human all experimented with different forms of gameplay in ADRIFT. David Welbourn's Beanstalk the and Jack was especially enjoyable and may be the only game of its kind.

Let's not forget we also had three games published in Spanish that year by Pipo98. Have we seen much work with ADRIFT in other languages in years since?

And don't even get me started on the sort of fight we could have over the Rookie of the Year Award for 2008. 2008 saw at least 13 'DRIFTers publish for the first time, and that doesn't even include AIF authors. Pipo98, Abbi Park, Dan Blazquez, Albaniua, Kevin Bailey... don't you want to start casting your nominations, already? Do I have to repeat how important a year 2008 was?

So, what do you think? C'mon, people, let's start drummin' up some categories for awards, woo!

Edited By Duncan_B on 1289192134
Duncan_B

Postby Albaniua » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:44 pm

I think there should be the Razzie award for worst game.

I hearby nominate myself for the Razzie. No seriously, I have tried to fix the game, write a better (by better I mean working) version of the game and still stay true to the concept of what I was trying to do in the 3 hours. Horrible....HORRIBLE.....Oh the pain.....
Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Postby revgiblet » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:21 am

2008? It's been a while.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:24 am

It's been a while, but it was such a good year it's a bit ludicrous that it got skipped over for awards. Mostly, I think it just got skipped because InsideADRIFT was in a lull. But there's a lot of potential here!

I'm going to go over what I think should be nominated and posting my own nominations for '08 soon.

We should also start thinking about awards for 2010, but I think we should get this done first. 2010 hasn't yet finished!
Duncan_B

Postby BlueMaxima » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:12 am

Considering I wasn't really around in '08 to actually see, I haven't played any of the apparently extroadinary library that came out of the year. So, sure, I might as well support the idea. What harm could come out of it, I say?
BlueMaxima

Postby Hensman Int'l » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am

Sowwy, I scwewed up by selecting null vote. :blush: Put me down for a "yes" vote - don't know who/what to nominate right now, but will look into it later.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby alsnpk » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:47 am

Hmmm. I'd just vote yes because I agree with the sentiment, but then I realized that, depending on the particular awards, I have no idea if I'd be able to decide who/what to vote for or not...
Released:
For competitions: Business As Usual; Oh, Human; Existence (intro); Motion
Shared names demo: "Guys, Guys"

Works in various stages of progress:
Y'know, things and stuff...
alsnpk

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:33 am

depending on the particular awards, I have no idea if I'd be able to decide who/what to vote for or not...

True, it's going to be hard to tell who to vote for. Some really tight competition in some areas for this year. Still, nominations shouldn't be so painful. Chances are, you could nominate someone and trust others will nominate something else you didn't get to throw one out for.

I'm still taking time to mull over games and over just what I might nominate. For anyone who needs a little guidance, I'll present here a list of categories used in previous InsideADRIFT Awards. Maybe we can start just by deciding what categories we do and don't want. If anyone can come up with new categories of awesome merit they believe worthy of nominations and a vote, just tell us and we'll open it up to the Forum for consideration.

Previously used categories include...
- Most Unusual Setting/Plot
- Best Implementation
- Game of the Year
- Best Contribution by a Newcomer
- Biggest Contribution Outside of Writing
- Author of the Year
- Best Short Game
- Rookie of the Year
- Most Innovative 'DRIFTer
- InsideADRIFT Award for Lifetime Contribution to ADRIFT
- Best New Idea

So, what do you think? We don't have to use all of these categories!
Duncan_B

Postby NigeC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:26 am

I went yes.. I guess its nice to get some credit for the weeks/months of hard graft :)
NigeC

Postby KFAdrift » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:04 pm

I do not intend to organise an awards ceremony again for this or any other year, but that shouldn't stop anyone else giving it a go.

Backdated things are not particularly satisfactory as people who were involved won't be around and it is hard for newcomers to have a true view of what was happening.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Shuarian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:05 pm

I don't know about everyone else, but I'd have a hard time coming up with fair answers to basically any category that isn't strictly related to the games themselves, ie:

- Best Contribution by a Newcomer / Rookie of the Year
- Biggest Contribution Outside of Writing
- Most Innovative 'DRIFTer
- InsideADRIFT Award for Lifetime Contribution to ADRIFT

In the same vein, Best New Idea might be difficult to chose in retrospect.

This would leave:
- Most Unusual Setting/Plot
- Best Implementation
- Game of the Year
- Author of the Year
- Best Short Game

New categories, if one wants them, could include:
- Best NPC
- Best Multimedia / Art / Design

Hi, by the way......

Edited By Shuarian on 1289416028
Shuarian

Postby djchallis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 am

I think I have to vote yes just because my only game came out that year. ;-)
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby DCBSupafly » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:28 am

Gamer that I am, I love competitions and awards (even w/out prizes), but I don't know how qualified I am to really participate.
DCBSupafly

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0