ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Work in Progress thread 2009 - 2010

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Cowboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:33 am

Just a little update on Through Time ...
Ohh my!! What have I gotten myself into this time?
I have just reached 95 rooms, and the magical 100 Kb. And I am only halfway through the game. :O
This is going to me much more complex than I thought, but still it's quite fun to make things work the way I want them to.
Another thing.. Why do I get my best ideas on the week I'm at work? ;)

Edited By Cowboy on 1251794044
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:35 pm

Might also want to add to the list at the top here...

NigeC: Furkwitt and the Crab Apple
Tiberius Thingamus: Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort
Duncan_B: Planets Apart

...yes, I did slip myself in there. How sneaky!

Planets Apart is a CYOAish sci-fi RPG I've started work on... no expected release date as of yet.
Duncan_B

Postby Cowboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:27 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Might also want to add to the list at the top here...

NigeC: Furkwitt and the Crab Apple
Tiberius Thingamus: Yon Astounding Castle! of some sort
Duncan_B: Planets Apart

...yes, I did slip myself in there. How sneaky!

Planets Apart is a CYOAish sci-fi RPG I've started work on... no expected release date as of yet.

Thanks Duncan..
Sorry I didn't know about the games, but they have been added now.
That's 11 games in progress so far... Quite impressive I'd say ;)
(anyone wants to take a bet on how many of the games that will actually be finished? :p )

Edited By Cowboy on 1251833398
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby NigeC » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for adding mine..
in the graphical game circles about 80% never get finished, a scary amount never get to the concept stage, its usually kids jumping on the bandwagon expecting to build a team to do the work for them
NigeC

Postby phkb » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 am

I'm still working on "Cursed". It's about 60-70% finished. Divided into three main sections, I have completed the 1st, 2/3rds finished the 2nd, and have begun plotting/writing the 3rd. No ETA as yet. Stats: 134 rooms, 682 objects, 1616 tasks, 137 events, 79 characters, 267KB, which I think puts it into the "large game" category.
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby NickyDude » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:09 pm

I've started getting back into Adrift with a game called "Where are my shinpads!?" (what the...?), yes I know it's a funny title but it's for a friend of mine, her son goes to football practice and constantly loses his shinpads in the house, hence the adventure. :cool:
ImageI reject your reality and substitute my own...
NickyDude

Postby Seciden Mencarde » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:04 pm

I've started working on Castle Hyperion again. It's far enough along that I should finish it this time around. The game is more of a text adventure than interactive fiction in that story takes a backseat to puzzles, just like I planned it seven or so years ago when I started the first rendition.
~ Velly

Works in progress (estimated release): Forest House Trilogy (Summer 2011), Tenebrae Semper (Fall 2011), Castle Hyperion (Summer 2012)

Music
Seciden Mencarde

Postby rotter » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm working on a game called Taken, a darker game than my usual stuff about kidnap and possible murder. Only about 5% complete but it has resulted in me actually opening the generator.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby Richarius » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:16 pm

In 3 1/2 weeks so far of teaching myself how to program IF/text adventures from scratch, wobbling around from Adrift 4.0, to TADS 3, Inform 7, TADS 3 1 more time then back to Inform 7, I've finally returned to my registered Adrift, this time trying to learn the language, with a little more patience. ;)

I so far have up and running what is possibly one of the simplest games that could be: a player stuck in room with no exits, with a panel on the north wall with 4 switches on it. Heh. The only other room in the (cough cough) game, is the room exited to upon finding out HOW to find the exit.

Everything is working so far, in my (finally!) 1st (though simple) working adventure (which is tentatively so far named, Jack). I don't believe it'll be worth publishing anywhere due to it's utter simplicity. Once it's completed though, it should be more than encouraging enough to begin work on something a little larger with greater complexities :cool: .
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Postby Richarius » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:20 pm

Richarius wrote:I so far have up and running what is possibly one of the simplest games that could be: a player stuck in room with no exits, with a panel on the north wall with 4 switches on it. Heh. The only other room in the (cough cough) game, is the room exited to upon finding out HOW to find the exit.

(Not yet being able to edit my own message - I'd forgotten to add this, to the above paragraph.)

And just in case - no, none of the 4 switches on the panel themselves, will activate the exit. There IS a puzzle in the game. ;)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Postby phate1128 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm currently working on an alternate-reality multiple dimension themed work, the working title is "Phantom Star." A main theme will probably be curiosity.
"The thoughts of today will fade into the memories of tomorrow."
phate1128

Postby Richarius » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 am

I've now been working on an almost complete rebuild / expansion of my 1st (cough cough) 'game', that I had uploaded into the Published section, in an attempt to obtain assistance from others. (Which did work very well. I received some wonderfully useful advice from Cowboy and Duncan_B respectively.)

I as of yet haven't a name for the rebuild / expansion, though. It's current size estimate will be a modest 6 to 10 rooms, with a greatly expanded intro / story throughout.

My original hopes were to be able to have it ready for the current competition deadline, but I'm coming into doubt in that regard, whether I'll be able to finish it or not. I wish not to rush things, running into items that I had not completely tested, myself. (On that note - not having any beta testers either.)

That's alright though as I'm enjoying learning in many aspects as I'm going, as well as having a great time working on this game / story. :)

I have 2 others which were started, earlier in other gaming languages, which have both been translated back to Adrift:

- Foosie (tentative title) - a cat centered 2nd person PoV in which the kitty having been thrown out to the lawn by it's cruel owner, attempts to find a new home. (Foosie were my most favourite pet ever. Dedicated to her.) It will as well, be a small game - guesstimated size - 15 to 20 'rooms'

- The End (tentative title) - (potential cliché warning ;) ) - an aircraft accident into a portion of the lot housing the most dangerous virus research centre in the world (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada), causes the release of the most dangerous possible (fictional) - wiping out the entire human race - (cliché question) - or has it? Guesstimate size thus farly - 20 to 40 rooms. (The first 10 or so are up and error-filled running in Inform 7, being translated back, to Adrift.)

My main quest is to complete my rebuild / expanded version of (the originally (cliché) titled) 1st game of mine 'Where Am I?'. From there, I'll continue to take Duncan's advice to another person, to continue writing smaller games, as my learning goes. :)
Take care,
Warmth and Peace,
Rich
Richarius

Postby DannyL7773 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:35 am

Step into the world of Melancholy Blood. A world where an eternal war between Vampires and Vampire Hunters is waged. The Vampire Hunters wish to destroy all Vampires, to protect humanity. The Vampires are not just one group, they are many, with many different reasons to fight off the Vampire Hunters. To live on, feeding on lesser animals. To slaughter as many humans as possible or in the case of a very small group, to give up their Vampiric Heritage and become human.

You, a 16 year old male still in school are the spanner thrown into the cogs of the eternal war. You are the one who will end this eternal slaughter. You decide who lives and who dies. Ultimately, you decide which side is victorious in this struggle.

Vampire or Vampire Hunter? It's your choice, it's your destiny.

Advertising aside. I'm working on Melancholy Blood. Act 1 has been finished. I have also finished up Act 1.5 for the Vampire side. Well, scripting it anyway, I have yet to actually add it to the game. I'm drawing blanks for what to do for the Vampire Hunter side for 1.5. The .5 acts are actually like fillers, they don't directly affect the story. Just something like in 1.5 Vampire side, you're asked by your mother to go buy some bread from the local market and notice some try your luck games (Lottery and stuff like that). If you have the gold, you can take part in these games. Prizes are items, which, while are NOT vital to the storyline, can slightly alter it in acts to come.

While I draw blanks for 1.5 Vampire Hunter side, I have been progressing slowly writing up scripts for Act 2.0 Vampire side. By now you can probably tell which side I favor. I will not however, neglect the Vampire Hunter side because of it. Both sides will have their own play style, their own characters that befriend you and more.

If anyone was wondering about Shindo saying flip alot. It was actually a swear word, along with some other sentences I altered for the competition. I figured excessive swearing (Which is Shindo's style) would fall into the category Offensive Adult Nature, which was against competition rules.
Author of Melancholy Blood.
Melancholy Blood Progress: Current Version nuked. Going to overhaul completely. Graphics are WIP??
DannyL7773

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:52 am

Progress report for The Magician's Niece...

After a two week hiatus to work on other life priorities, I'm aggressively attacking the game. I may have a beta version available much earlier than anticipated. :yeah:

Active WIP: The Magician's Niece (40 rooms)
completed: 13 rooms, 35 obj, 172 tasks, 15 events, 2 char

:O Arrrgh! Life got in the way again. Back to as time permits.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>---------
The Magician's Niece (40 rooms)
completed: 16 rooms, 39 obj, 181 tasks, 16 events, 2 char
---------</span>
In addition today I've started a new adventure based on a concept video game I had years ago: SADR

Introduction:
[color=green]A'llo, I'm Sad'r - lest you think I need a therapist - that stands for Self-Assembled Defense Robot. Serial number six six wilco adam (weapons augmented) oh two three. Right now I need to pull myself together to get ahead in the game. Yes, bad pun, since that's where I am at - a head. Internal gyros allow me to roam around to find my parts, then I can determine why I was activated in the first place. Key in functions at any time for my operational attributes.
[/color]
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:04 pm

Well, I've started trying to pick back up on To End All Wars and IQSFoT, so might as well jot me down for those. Maybe it'll put some pressure on me to get them finished.

Also, I think it might be safe to remove Tiberius Thingamus from the Works in Progress list, since his game is currently published.
Duncan_B

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0