ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Accessibility - Is ADRIFT Generator accessible to the bl

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby vulture » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 pm

Does anybody know if ADRIFT Generator 4 is accessible to screen readers? I would like to write a game, but I am blind and rely on a screen reader. So far, I have encountered only one problem: I can't select the rooms in which static objects should appear. Does anybody know of other limitations? Also, does ADRIFT 5 have the same interface (e.g., menus, checkboxes, etc) as version 4 (I'd hate to get version 5 and not be able to use it). Thanks for the info.
vulture

Postby DCBSupafly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:26 pm

I don't know the first thing about screen readers but as far as your room selection issue, the add an object dialog has everything on a tab index. When you open the dialog, your cursor is in the object prefix box. As you may know, 3 more tabs gets you to the static/dynamic selector, then it's 5 more tabs from there to get to the room selector for static objects. You can scroll up and down the list with the arrow keys and select with space bar. Since I'm not really sure what the problem is, I'll risk redundancy here:
The list looks like this

All Rooms
No Rooms
Part of Character
User-made room 1
User-made room 2
etc

The first three selections in that list are mutually exclusive, but the rooms you create can 'share' a static object reference. So if you create a toilet and 5 rooms, the 2nd and 4th of which are bathrooms, you can tab over to room selection, press down 5 times to get to bathroom 1 and press space to select it, then press down 2 more times to get to bathroom 2 and press space.

I'm assuming the problem is that the screen reader won't read the list to you, or the mouse interface functions wonky. I hope that helps but either way I'd be interested to know more about how you use a screen reader to get around ADRIFT.
DCBSupafly

Postby vulture » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Thanks DCBSupafly. I discovered the problem: my screen reader (JAWS) read out the title of the list incorrectly (it sounded as if I was still in the "but if" text fields), so I didn't know I was where I was supposed to be. I can access the list, though. Basically, I only use the keyboard, and JAWS reads everything to me, including if I'm in a text box, checkbox, dialogue box, etc. It seems to work pretty well with Adrift. It doesn't work well with either Inform or TADS game builders. I need to use a special JAWS mode to play games, but it works well with Runner as well.
vulture

Postby DCBSupafly » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Cool. I tried out Jaws with ADRIFT Generator v4 and it's pretty cool. Bad news is, it doesn't seem to do anything with ADRIFT Developer 5... It refers to all windows as UltraListBox and gives no identifiers or anything. I couldn't navigate around with tabs either (I'm a pretty serious hotkey guy). I can only hope there is some way to configure JAWS, just like you mentioned with the runner.
DCBSupafly

Postby Campbell » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:44 am

Is JAWS one of the most popular screen readers? I will get around to making sure it works properly.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby vulture » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Hello. The more I use Adrift 4 with JAWS, the more problems I am encountering. None are insurmountable though, I think. I really hope Adrift 5 becomes accessible; it would then have an advantage over both Inform and TADS. I think JAWS is the most popular screen reader for those people like me who are completely blind. Other popular screen readers, like ZoomText or WindowEyes, are designed for people with at least some sight and are not as powerful as JAWS.
vulture

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0