ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The best approach?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:13 am

What would be the best approach?

I'm creating an event that will start after the player performs an action. After a certain number of turns after having performed this action he will get sleepy and the idea is that he should go to his room and sleep.
I can either, keep letting him know that he is sleepy and need some rest, or I can execute a task transferring him to his room...
But which approach would be the best?
The “sleep” thing is essential for the continuation of the game, I might add.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:36 am

Personally I would go with a few suggestive messages on the event to say he is sleepy. The player can then type sleep and the event would stop. If they don't sleep, the event finishes and forces the sleep.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby AndrewF » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Personally, I would not like it to just force it on me...

But increasingly blatant messages would be good. :)
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby KFAdrift » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 am

I think Campbell is right, a couple of "you are feeling really tired" messages, then you make them do it. I suppose the other approach would be for them to knock themselves out by having an accident caused by tiredness.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby phkb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:13 am

Another option, coupled with the "You are really tired" messages, would be to make the responses to commands increasingly unreliable the longer they go without sleep. Basically, start randomly ignoring commands with some suitably vague response like "Err.. where was I? Must've missed something...". The longer they go without sleep, the more likely this will happen. This motivates the player to seek sleep, without forcing it on them.
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:27 am

phkb wrote:Another option, coupled with the "You are really tired" messages, would be to make the responses to commands increasingly unreliable the longer they go without sleep. Basically, start randomly ignoring commands with some suitably vague response like "Err.. where was I? Must've missed something...". The longer they go without sleep, the more likely this will happen. This motivates the player to seek sleep, without forcing it on them.

The problem I see with that is that players will always attempt to push to the limit and it would be very hard to handle commands like this for too long.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0