ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Works In Progress Thread

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby David Whyld » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:36 am

List of current works in progress (24 and counting).

Last updated: 20th December 2007
Added: Hollywood Mansion, Kri'Kel Book 1: Destruction, Twilight Village

Again And Again - Rotter
Adventureland - phkb
Ba'Roo! - Hensman Int'l
Cursed - phkb
Driftwood - Ren
Fearsome Foursome Fisticuffs - Hensman Int'l
Good Prospects - revgiblet
Hollywood Mansion - Mirrorman
Kri'Kel Book 1: Destruction - Ben Gerondale
Lords Of Time - theboggit
The Passion Of The Dead - TDS
Project Clocks - djchallis
Realm Of Detritus - rbaseel
Red Age In A White Room - NobodyNowhere
Saw: The Victims - Bazly
The Silencing - Bazly
The Silencing 2 - Bazly
Scarlet - David Whyld
Stranded On Iloofrax – Amazing Poodle Boy
The Successor - Hensman Int'l
The Third Dimension – brain in jar
Twilight Village - Erus
Vague - Rotter
Without A Clue - David Whyld

Games so far released:

A Fine Day For Reaping - revgiblet
Ghost Town - Cowboy
In The Mind Of The Master - David Whyld

Edited By David Whyld on 1198186385
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby djchallis » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:08 pm

i'm working on a game on a game under the working title of project clocks.
i'm excited because it's the first idea i've had so far where i found a clever game idea and a clever story idea that fitted together so well.
i'm not saying much about it at the moment, mostly because i'm still discovering it.
i'm in the planning phase and i keep changing things as i discover how the plotline's working out.

it's genre i guess is mystery.
oh, and sprite liked the idea, so it can't be that bad!
hopefully i should be able to finish the planning one day and write it! :)

Edited By djchallis on 1175000971
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby Ren » Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:56 pm

My latest is 34k with a 22k alr, 400 tasks and 70 variables. I've almost finished the introduction. I might be a while. It's called Driftwood. It has zombies.

The other major work is the first thing I wrote, over 30k of modern day noir that is in need of major restructuring, so I'm holding off on that until V5.

I'm keeping myself busy though, and games will come at some point. I could use a break from the big stuff, so I might look at something smaller once I have the intro to Driftwood sorted.

Edited By Ren on 1175892104
Ren

Postby Seciden Mencarde » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:22 pm

I keep leaping back and forth between ADRIFT and Inform 7, but I think I am subconsciously waiting for ADRIFT 5. Once that is out, I might settle down and finish something. Maybe. ;)

[Edit: Red font was a bit obnoxious.]

Edited By Seciden Mencarde on 1175027090
~ Velly

Works in progress (estimated release): Forest House Trilogy (Summer 2011), Tenebrae Semper (Fall 2011), Castle Hyperion (Summer 2012)

Music
Seciden Mencarde

Postby phkb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:01 pm

My WIP is called Cursed, which is set in a Fantasy world, but it has elements of a murder/mystery involved. Currently at around 70k (26k ALR), 505 tasks, I'm just under a third of the way through. The game will be divided into three main sections, with 2 smaller interlude-type sections in between the main sections. The first main section and first interlude are almost complete. Not sure if I'm going to release it for a comp though. I keep changing my mind.

I looked at I7 (new version is out, BTW), but I still didn't like the language. Much better than I6, but still not what I want. I am keen to see Adrift V5, but V4 is suiting me just fine at the moment.
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby phkb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm also thinking of doing another port, possibly of Scott Adam's AdventureLand, mainly because the I6 source code is available. Classic Adventure went pretty well (it took me about 4 weeks, start to finish), and I think AdventureLand would be a good followup (although I don't think it's as good an adventure). If someone can point me to the I6 source of Zork (not the Infocom version, but the original PDP-10 version), I might think about porting that.

I'm also thinking about a horror game (not something I've ever considered before), and I've got some ideas for a couple of comedy/spoof games, and a small, serious work that might be a good IFComp entry one year. These ones are all waiting for Cursed to be finished. I really want to finish that one first!
My IF-related stuff can be found here
phkb

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 pm

The original PDP-10 version was written in MDL. There's source to a TADS port at http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/tads/tads_dungeon.zip . There's an Inform port by Ethan Dicks at http://mirror.ifarchive.org/if-archive/games/zcode/zdungeon.z5 ; he might send you his source if you ask.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby revgiblet » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:15 am

I've currently got two games on the go, but both have stalled due to lack of passion.

The first is about 75% complete but most of the 25% is the tricky task coding for the puzzles. It's called A Fine Day for Reaping and the player takes the role of The Grim Reaper. You have twelve hours to reap the souls of five people who are, for one reason or another, being a bit awkward about the whole dying thing. It's supposed to be a comedy, but one man's humour is another man's awkward silence.

The other is hardly started at all and was born out of a desire to do something a little different. It's currently called Good Prospects but I'm not totally happy with the name. It's actually more of a strategy game than an IF game. The player is a gold prospector in 19th century America who has two weeks to find enough gold to pay off the debt on his family's ranch. The game can mostly be played with single key input, but the usual IF format is there if the player wants to take a longer approach, or try things that are not listed in the room description. It's, as you might expect, something of a programming nightmare as I'm technically trying to use a spoon to spread butter by using ADRIFT to write a strategy game. What can I say, I'm a sucker for punishment.

I've had an idea for another game, but there's no way I'm starting that until at least one of the above is finished - and I have a feeling that the experiences of trying to create the task-heavy Good Prospects may come in useful for future projects.
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby Lumin » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:33 pm

Those two actually sound pretty interesting, good luck rev. I'm especially fond of strategy/sim games, only they're something you rarely see as text.

RL has been pretty hectic for me since about, well, Christmas or so, but things are finally winding down to the point where I have time to get a little writing done. I'm working on and off on one of my old fantasy novels and that's really my main focus right now, but just yesterday I opened up Adrift for the first time in ages and have been fiddling around with a some of my older WIPs.

For now I've decided to leave the larger games alone and just work on a couple of the tiny ones in the hopes of actually finishing something...we'll see how that works out.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:16 pm

I’ve got a number of different works in progress at the moment as I tend to get easily bored with working on just one game at a time so I jump from one to another whenever I feel like it. The good side to this is that I seem to get more written now than I used to and I enjoy it more; the bad side that few of the games ever seem to get finished because I’m continually leaving them whenever I hit a slow spot and working on something else. All of them will (hopefully) be finished eventually, but it’s difficult to say exactly when.

Without A Clue
A huge whodunit about a detective on the trail of a murderer. What starts out as a very simple and straightforward murder soon becomes something entirely different.

I’ve messed around with the interface quite a bit on this one and got it looking pretty nice (he says, aware of the alarming amount of trumpet blowing in that sentence) and even got a working journal of the player’s progress in the game, a lengthy hints system and the like. Currently stalled due to a distinct lack of foresight (i.e. not really sure how it’s all going to end and kind of wishing I’d plotted it out a bit better beforehand) but hopefully going to see light of day sometime in 2008.

Scarlet
A superhero (or superheroine) tale about a woman who gets gifted with powers she doesn’t really want. And then unwittingly becomes the world’s saviour when a gang of ruthless supervillains make a ploy to overthrow the government.

Went very well to begin with then seemed to lose its way. At the moment, I’m writing three different parts of the game at various times: the early parts where the heroine becomes acquainted with her powers, the middle part where she discovers just what it means to be a superhero, and the later part which involves the villains’ plans for conquests. A horribly confused jumbled mess of a game… but I hope I can turn it into a decent game if I can find the time (and the willpower) to bring all the loose strands together.

In The Mind Of The Master
Step into the shoes of the Master, disguise artist extraordinaire, as he seeks to evade the corrupt officials on his trail.

A game I started on recently, though the general idea – the player can switch from one character to another (i.e. the Master affects a few disguise) – was one I had a while back in a game lost when my computer crashed.

David Whyld

Postby djchallis » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:05 pm

what about the one in your signature?
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby David Whyld » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:22 pm

As the Spring Thing is now underway, that one is officially now out so not a work in progress anymore.

(must update sig)

David Whyld

Postby The Bold Slasher » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:52 pm

I got a game about a man trying to solve a murder aboard his ship when all hell breaks loose - government conspiracies, time travelers and zombies. It's all tongue-in-cheek. Here's an original excuse, though - I'm waiting for Adrift 5. I want the multiple characters thingymajiggy.
USS Dumpling 0 KB (Now an I7 game because of a hard drive crash.)

Proud Owner of Sprite's Sticker for Specialness
The Bold Slasher

Postby Ren » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:03 am

The Bold Slasher wrote:I got a game about a man trying to solve a murder aboard his ship when all hell breaks loose - government conspiracies, time travelers and zombies. It's all tongue-in-cheek. Here's an original excuse, though - I'm waiting for Adrift 5. I want the multiple characters thingymajiggy.

I'm going to have to finish my part-done multi-character Adrift 4 game before 5 comes out, just to, you know, look cool and that.
Ren

Postby The Bold Slasher » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:08 am

Ren, I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to do that. I'm not going to go into any more detail.
USS Dumpling 0 KB (Now an I7 game because of a hard drive crash.)

Proud Owner of Sprite's Sticker for Specialness
The Bold Slasher

Next

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0