ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

The Works In Progress Thread

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby quantumsheep » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:50 pm

'The Lighthouse' sounds great - looking forward to that Dan!

I'm working on a few projects - the main one is one that I've had in my head for a good few years and looks like being quite epic in scope. However, I don't want to spill the beans on it yet. I may try and get a demo of it going to get feedback from you guys.

I will say that it's mission based, and I'm working on the first mission now, as well as the 'hub' level...

I'm putting in very basic room descriptions at the moment so that you can actually *play* the game, with a view to going back to them and making them more verbose later.

Actually, as I'm still learning how to use Adrift I'm finding that I'm already wanting to 'upgrade' certain elements - the conversation system for example, or the clunky elevator I've got in at the mo'.

I'm also finding that, having played a few of the adventures available for Adrift, and read a lot of the tutorials, I have to up the ante a little to compete on just a basic level!

Other ideas come to me all the time, and will hopefully make for shorter games (to make *and* to play), perhaps as a distraction when my main game is frustrating me!

It's all very exciting - I hope my enthusiasm levels will stay high so as to actually *finish* a project! ;)

EDIT:

Well, bloody hell, I'm already in need of a distraction and have started on one of those 'shorter' ideas I've had in my head.

I'm using it to help implement a better conversation system in my main game.

I'm aiming to finish it before the end of the month, but the way the story weaves around I'm having trouble working it all out, and I made it up myself!

It's called 'An(n)achronism'.

Edited By quantumsheep on 1218927479
Completed projects
1: "The Seance" (ODD competition entry)
2. "Main Course" (ODD competition entry)

Currently working on:
1: The Lighthouse (a horror story collaboration with Dan Blazquez)
2: An(n)achronism
3: Velocity
4: About 100 other ideas :O
quantumsheep

Postby zack11 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi im new to the forums, and i belive to be the youngest member at age 13.

I was thinking of creating a game titled "The Great Adventure!" and it would have similar to the "Zork Series"

I have several ideas for the game but cannot think of a sufficent Storyline.

im open to any ideas!
------------------------------------------------
zack11

Postby Sprite » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi Zack! Welcome to the community. As I'm sure you've guessed, the Zork theme has been pretty common on the IF scene for some years now, but there's no reason you shouldn't put your own spin on it!

Get to grips with the system, let some ideas happen, and create something fun. I'll be more than happy to beta-test for you.
Do you know who I am?!

I've forgotten...
Sprite

Postby zack11 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:58 pm

Me again, I decided to make the whole game a dream, where the player drifts off int a deep Deep dream and finds themself in a strange underground complex
------------------------------------------------
zack11

Postby Dan Blazquez » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 am

Well I've been tinkering with this one for a bit and it's definitely going to be released before the Lighthouse, so here goes:

ARK the Droid is being created for the Odd Competition, and follows the story of a small yet intelligent droid who is confused over his purpose and directive. Throughout the adventure, he progressively remembers more details about a mysterious girl and his various exploits with her in the past while dealing with a strange new life in the present. Themes include the infallibility of death, the importance of friendship, and the pursuit of happiness along with the questions it raises.

With a max cap of 11 tasks (including one that's dedicated to preventing a certain player input) and even LESS objects and such, it will be somewhat short. The game unfolds primarily as a dialog intensive narrative, although I intend to release a more traditional "gamey" version that isn't limited by the OddComp's restrictions. It will be my first IF game (for better or worse!) but hopefully not my last.
Released adventures :
- A Witch Tale (OddComp)

Currently working on :
- The Lighthouse (a horror story collaboration with Quantumsheep)
- A Witch Tale (expanded version)
- Clepsydra
Dan Blazquez

Postby quantumsheep » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:26 am

That sounds awesome, Dan - very much looking forward to trying it out!
Completed projects

Currently working on:
quantumsheep

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:58 am

Well, I guess I decided to write something for the ol' OddComp. My game is called Gorxungula's Curse. It tells the story of a person (default name: Lophese) who accidentally summons an evil spirit that attaches to him-or-her and ends up putting his-or-her self and homeland of Rabbits in jeopardy. To lift the curse, Lophese must make an offering to a cosmic moose.

As far as the comp restrictions go the game is finished, but I'm getting my girlfriend to give it some play-throughs before I submit it.
Duncan_B

Postby Aeara » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:09 am

well it's official my game went all "nature" on me. Seriously I must say that my secret to making this game is the fact that I make it up as I go along and let the game become what it will. If something make sense then I'll add it. The fact alone that I add alot of good mechanics to it, and to the plot has astounded me because that alone has shaped my so called ninja game into an almost nature game. Is that not insane? xD and I'm talkin sorceresses and *gulp* well pixy-ish stuff. ... maybe we shouldn't continue this conversation xD... Well it hasn't gone down the rabbit hole yet so I still have a chance to salvage the game into not being about Gaia and all that jazz. Or maybe it's already good liek that...we'll soon find out. =P
Current Projects
* ???? - name is uncertain at the time. "the genre is still uncertain" (still trying to work the kinks out in it but once I add more campaigns and things to actually do XD we'll talk more)
Aeara

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:41 am

Have begun working on a game called Clod's Quest. It has no objects (according to the Generator) and more gamepad-like controls than traditional IF (i.e., it uses five buttons on the keyboard, enter included).

Many tasks and variables.
Duncan_B

Postby Dan Blazquez » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:53 am

The Lighthouse has been a project of passion for me that I have been throwing around for about a year. It's finally taken form as an epic collection of grim tales.

So.... introducing the newly revamped THE LIGHTHOUSE: A horror story collaboration designed by Dan (me!) and co-written with Quantumsheep.

It's a collection of inter-connected stories relating to a mysterious lighthouse on a bleak island. Each story features a unique protagonist and scenario, but all stories inevitably reveal more about the sinister truth at Caudillo Island. All stories will be contained within the main game file and will be accessible using a numbered menu system.

Work on the Lighthouse has commenced and progressed past the basic design phase... now Quantumsheep and I are working hard on the individual stories!

Here's to hoping you all enjoy this when it's released!

*** EDIT ***

Will now feature graphics (at least one, anyway) in the form of oil painting(s) made specifically for this adventure!

Edited By Dan Blazquez on 1223686617
Released adventures :
- A Witch Tale (OddComp)

Currently working on :
- The Lighthouse (a horror story collaboration with Quantumsheep)
- A Witch Tale (expanded version)
- Clepsydra
Dan Blazquez

Postby quantumsheep » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:03 am

Hurrah and huzzah!

This is going to be great fun!

And now to bed!

:)
Completed projects

Currently working on:
quantumsheep

Postby djchallis » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:37 pm

Hey, sounds really good guys!
Looking forward to it.
Game in the works - Project Clocks - on hold for a bit.
Game finished - I am the Law for the OddComp. Looking forward to finishing Clocks so I can show what I can really do!
Current focus - Some microIF. Short experiments to test ideas and actually release something!
djchallis

Postby revgiblet » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:14 am

Recent events have shown me the error of my ways, and I've decided to get back on the IF pony and write something again.

I've dusted off one of my (many) partial projects and am hoping to finish it. It's called I Will Ruin Strawberries For You and is a comic adventure that features time travel, a sinister mega global corporation and strawberries. It's very silly.

Edited By revgiblet on 1223713137
"He who lives only to benefit himself confers on the world a benefit when he dies."

Tertullian

In Progress:- Watch This Space...
revgiblet

Postby Cowboy » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:29 am

revgiblet wrote:Recent events have shown me the error of my ways, and I've decided to get back on the IF pony and write something again.

I've dusted off one of my (many) partial projects and am hoping to finish it. It's called I Will Ruin Strawberries For You and is a comic adventure that features time travel, a sinister mega global corporation and strawberries. It's very silly.

Finally! ;)
Now get on with it... and the best of luck.. :cool:
Ghost town V 1,05: Adrift best game of the year award 2009
WIP:
"Through Time" Idle
"D-Day" Prog rep: Feb 16
Char: 5 Events: 5 Tasks: 185 Objects: 156 Rooms: 34... Size 47Kb
Cowboy

Postby Kingboo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Hello everybody! My name is Evan, and I am new to the forums, and relatively new to ADRIFT. I am starting to write a game called "Ghost Story." It is about a man who wakes up one day and finds that he is now a ghost. I've just started it, so I don't know much else about what I will put into it, but I do know that you cannot pick up or turn on any objects in the game, since you are a ghost. I am hard at work on this game, and I can't wait to see it finished. I hope you feel the same way.
See ya later,
Evan
Today's word of the day is...
pneumonoultramicroscopicsiliconvolcanoconiosis

Work in progress...
Ghost Story
Rooms Objects tasks events characters
35 26 8 0 0
Kingboo

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0