ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Speed Issues - Re: Playing of sounds in V4 Runner

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby nick » Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:51 am

Does anyone know how I can speed up the playing of background sounds in V4 Runner?
In the .Taf file I converted from 3.9 to 4.0, I was using small midi and wav files to back the game, and in 3.9, this worked fine and dandy, yet in 4.0, every sound takes a long time to load, and I find myself sitting there wondering if the program has frozen on me!
Usually this is not the case, but the text does not appear until the sound starts playing, which can sometimes take up to two minutes or more!!!

I don't understand how or why 4.0 Runner takes sooo much longer than 3.9 to load files.
At first I thought it might have been because the files were embedded into the .Taf file, but this turned out not to be the case, as it still took an equally long time to load.
OK, so my computer is not a state of the art piece of work, fast as a speeding bullet and strong enough to leap buildings in a single bound, but it still runs Windows 98 perfectly, and runs ADRIFT almost perfectly, except for this problem with playing media.

Anywho, does anyone know how I can speed things up? With Campbell away, I was hoping there was a short-term solution to the problem that someone had figured out.(Apart from disabling sounds in Runner, of course!)

Thanks!!
-Nick
nick

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0