ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Goldilocks is a FOX! - is now available from the dowloads page

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Campbell » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:24 pm

Updating files on the website should work, but the original file was probably still in your browser cache rather than the new one if you tested the download.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby T. Mulkerrins » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:41 pm

For some reason, when I try to take the matchbox off the shelf, it says 'but you are not holding the matchbox!' Is it just me that this happens to? because I can't do the game without the bloody matchbox.

:(

Any help?
I h8 ppl wh0 th1nk thyr3 l33t. H4x0r n00bs.
T. Mulkerrins

Postby J. J. Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:33 pm

Try "get (or take) matchbox from shelf" or just "get matchbox." I can't seem to reproduce that error. What version of the runner are you using?
In Progress: Alias "The Magpie", The Numberless Knots of Fohat

Visit my website:
http://www.jjguest.com
for Escape from the Crazy Place and The Visitation
J. J. Guest

Postby J. J. Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:35 pm

Who the hell is Joe "too hot but not?"

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

Postby davidw » Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:49 pm

The Amazing Poodle Boy wrote:Who the hell is Joe "too hot but not?"

Lancer probably. You can just about guarantee that if someone writes something stupid on this forum, Lancer is behind it.
davidw

Postby J. J. Guest » Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:50 pm

T. Mulkerrins wrote:For some reason, when I try to take the matchbox off the shelf, it says 'but you are not holding the matchbox!' Is it just me that this happens to? because I can't do the game without the bloody matchbox.

Any help?

Aha! You might get that message if you haven't examined the shelf yet.* In which case the usual system response would assume you haven't seen the matchbox yet (which you wouldn't have) and my task which takes care of people who try to get the matches out of the matchbox would kick in.

*I'm assuming that you've played the game before and know the matches are there, or are working from the walkthru!

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

Postby T. Mulkerrins » Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:59 pm

Nope. I've looked at the shelf. I've tried get matchbox, take matchbox, pickup matchbaox, pick up macthbox, collect matchbox and grab matchbox, still get the bug.

But if I'm the only one it's happening to, it's got to be something wrong at my end, not the game.

:0
T. Mulkerrins

Postby J. J. Guest » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:35 pm

Bizarre. When I download the game, go into the pantry, examine shelf, get matchbox - no problem. So I ask you again, which version of the runner are you using?

I've had a wierd problem with the Vampire's Lair, in that in release 29, everything is fine. In release 32, when I type LOOK, I get the message 'try something else.' I can only assume it's the runner. My computer at work is running 29. At home I'm running 32. I'm going to send you the password in a private message, so you can get the matchbox and complete the game, but I find this disturbing.
So far you are the only person who has had this problem. I can only assume it's a problem with the runner.

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

Postby T. Mulkerrins » Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:14 am

Yep, it was the runner.

Not sure what version I was using, but I've tried it with the latest and it works fine.

Now I can get stuck into playing it. Yay!

T. Mulkerrins

Postby brucehum » Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:12 am

Strange bug in the game (found by Ravenous, by the way)

I do the basics to get turnip, give it to Daisy, have her follow me to pedlar. Pedlar gives me beans. Now, if I go West, the appropiate direction, I get "weebles wobble but they don't fall down", which is a nice message for some other action.

If I click in the map, to go to the room, I get a runtime 9, and crash.
http://www.humpsoft.com

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
--Mark Twain
brucehum

Postby J. J. Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:54 am

After leading Daisy to the pedlar the appropriate direction to go next is south. I have a repeatable task in that location, the enchanted forest, which intercepts an attempt to go west with a message, "I think that was the direction I came from when I entered the forest. Let's go another way." I certainly never typed the words "weebles wobble but they don't fall down", ever, in my life. It was an advertising slogan for a kids' toy. This is weird beyond belief.

Edited By The Amazing Poodle Boy on 16 Sep. 2002 at 12:11

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

Postby brucehum » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:20 am

Yes, forgot to mention that after Pedlar you go south then west. Then you get the message. I'm using runner version 4.0.33. Here is the transcript:

north
I move north.
In the enchanted forest
A large wooden sign informs me that I'm in the Enchanted Forest. What it doesn't tell me is how the hell I get out! Everywhere I look there are trees, trees, trees. This place definately has a 'tree' theme going. A clearly marked path leads south and west, whilst in every other direction are, well, trees. An old pedlar is sitting on a log here, tending to his bunions. I can move north, east and south. Daisy the cow walks towards me from the south.

'Ah, now there's a lovely specimen!' says the Pedlar, getting up from his log and feeling Daisy's knees. He seems satisfied. 'all present and correct! Here you go love - you'll be cured in no time!' He open his suitcase and hands me a small packet, then leads Daisy off into the forest.

inventory
I am wearing a wristwatch and a "distressed" Laura Ashley dress, and I am carrying a small packet and an overripe pumpkin.

x packet
It's a packet of magic beans. There are some instructions written on the back of the packet. The small packet is closed.

south
I move south.
On a path in the forest
I'm on a path winding through the Enchanted Forest. The path winds it way from the north towards the west. In every other direction there are dark, sinister looking trees that wave their branches at me in an anthropomorphic kind of way. Ooh, I'm soooo scared! I can move north, east, south and west.

west
:0 Weebles wobble but they don't fall down :0

Goto in a clearing in the forest
here it crashes with runtime 9 It crashes if I click in west room too.
http://www.humpsoft.com

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
--Mark Twain
brucehum

Postby J. J. Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:32 am

Damn, it works perfectly fine in release 32. I will have to download 33 and take a look. I don't remember typing "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down," but maybe I did. I may just be losing my mind.

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

Postby J. J. Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:43 am

I'm not losing my mind, but I did type the weebles line. It was a test output. This is a bug, or a change in version 33. There is a task that overrides the command "West" in that location, "on a path in the forest." I made it repeatable, for some reason, when it shouldn't have been, and placed a restriction on it so that it should only run if it hadn't been run before! Bizarre, I know, but it was one of the first bits of Adrift coding I did and I'm sure I had my reasons. The weebles line, for some reason, I typed in the "Message if task tried again" box. In version 32 it's greyed out and the task acts exactly as if it were not repeatable. In 33 - all hell breaks loose. I will change that task tonight and update the file on the downloads page. In the meantime, play the game on release 32!

Edited By The Amazing Poodle Boy on 16 Sep. 2002 at 12:12

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

Postby J. J. Guest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:39 pm

Goldilocks has now been updated and should run perfectly on release 33.

Visit my website:
J. J. Guest

PreviousNext

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0