ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Items and NPCs - The mechanics of giving and receiving

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby one_monkey » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:26 pm

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick on this one but in the adventure I am writing there comes an occasion when an air stewardess offers the player character a white leaflet. I made a task so that when the player typed take %pamphlet% from %the stewardess% the pamphlet should transfer possession from the stewardess to the player and the task completion text should display.

However, when I tested this the parser told me in no uncertain terms that the stewardess would not, in fact, give the player the pamphlet. This is a bit weird to my mind as that was the intention of the action.

What am I doing wrong?
one_monkey

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Hi there...
First of all, welcome to the drifting world of Adrift... :p
(where the good guys are...)

How have you set up your story?
Do you want the Stewardess to automatically give the player the pamphlet when they are in the same room, or do you want the player to take (steal) the pamphlet from her?
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:36 pm

I made a task so that when the player typed take %pamphlet% from %the stewardess% the pamphlet should transfer possession from the stewardess to the player and the task completion text should display.

Objects and characters are not variables, so there is no need to surround them with %s.
Duncan_B

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:48 am

Exactly my point, Duncan.

I would probably do something like:

[take/get/pick up] {the} [pamphlet]

With the restriction that the Stewardess must be in same room as player, and object Pamphlet, must be held by Stewardess.
Action would then move Pamphlet to be held by player.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby one_monkey » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:31 am

I would actually prefer that those who wish to take the pamphlet could do so without being impeded. After all she is trying to hand it to the player at the time. I think as far as the percentage signs went I got the syntax mixed up with the square brackets and curly braces... I shall have another go.

Thank you.
one_monkey

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:38 am

one_monkey wrote:I would actually prefer that those who wish to take the pamphlet could do so without being impeded. After all she is trying to hand it to the player at the time. I think as far as the percentage signs went I got the syntax mixed up with the square brackets and curly braces... I shall have another go.

Thank you.

Let us know how you're doing.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:13 pm

Okay, I'm about to go off on a big tangent here, so I'm starting another thread.

one_monkey, welcome. Hope all goes well with your game. Anymore questions, just ask. You might also want to tell us more about it here.
Duncan_B

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0