ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Help with my first Character Conversation - Telephone Voice

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby InteractiveFictionTV » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:31 pm

I've been reading the manual, but I'm having trouble understanding Character conversation commands.

At the very start of the game, the protagonist wakes up to the sound of a very loud telephone ring.

You, as the player, then have the choice of answering the phone or waste time by doing something else in the game.

Here is the full conversation...

You fumble for the receiver and finally grasp it. You hold it to your face and manage to weakly croak, "Hello?" A deep but excited voice shouts your name and blurts out, " -- Wake up! Wake up! Get out of your bed!" You respond, "Who are you? How do you know my name? What do you wa--"

"Nevermind that now!" the mysterious voice interupts. "I'll explain later. Just turn on the light and clock radio, it will help you to wake up. Get out of bed -- right now! You are in immediate danger!" The voice is then disconnected and all you hear is a dial tone. What an alarming call! However, you still feel like curling up in your bed and going back to sleep...

If you pick up the phone and answer it, I want the Telephone Voice to enter the room.

Now, I want the hero to make the first move,
when you say hello who are you what do you want, etc
I want the Telephone voice to respond.

What I'm not to clear on is what exactly should my command be? Should I use "ask <Telephone Voice> about <Hello>" Should I use a *?

What exactly should I type as the first command for the 1st Character?

Thanks.

Edited By InteractiveFictionTV on 1284669276
InteractiveFictionTV

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:31 am

When you double click the character, you will see a "Conversation" tab. Open that, click "New subject", and then add the new subject, its response, etc.

Alternatively, if you are writing it as a task (which you might do if you want asking about this subject to perform some sort of action), you might construct it as "* ask * telephone * about * subject *" with an alternative "* ask * voice * about * subject *". Please note that <>s serve no function in command construction, so they should not be used.
Duncan_B

Postby InteractiveFictionTV » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:45 am

Thanks Duncan_B!
I'll let you know of my progress! :)
InteractiveFictionTV

Postby InteractiveFictionTV » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:12 pm

I used a character conversation sample from Ghost Town for my Telephone Voice character -- it's working nicely!

I'll keep you guys updated...
I upload major updated demos to my Dropbox Account, and
invited people can download from there...

Make sure to ask me if you want to be invited to download a rough sample.
InteractiveFictionTV

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0