ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Stamina , strength ...problems

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby roberto_m2002 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Hello , i have a couple of questions and i really need help on this if anyone is kind enough to answer ...

1.Can i change stamina from the battle system to a word like life ?

2.How do i make a restriction that if the agility is too low i can't wear a item , is this possible ?

3.Is there any way i can do the following thing ?
If attack is written then enemy life (variable) = enemy life (same variable) - spell damage (another variable that defines the spell damage so i can use spells ) .

Thanks...if anyone can help me with this i'l give him 5 kudos .
roberto_m2002

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:33 pm

These are off the top of my head:

For the first, I'm going to suggest the ALR. Just try writing Stamina|Life.

Second could probably be done if you create a variable, event, and task that could track how much agility the player has, then create a task and event that will check whether agility (tracked by the variable you created) is lower than a certain number. If it is, move armour to same room as player or held by player or something so it is no longer worn. I cannot and will not guarantee this solution will work, as I have never used the ADRIFT battle system, but it could be worth a try.

You should be able do the third part by changing variable to Expression. However, if you can't use enemy life as a variable or anything, you'd have to create another variable to track it like in example two. I imagine it could get pretty clunky.

Why not just create your own variables for enemy life, agility, and such and skip the battle system all together? You'd have more control over it that way.
Duncan_B

Postby roberto_m2002 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:02 pm

Uhh , thanks for the help on those i will sure try those.

"Why not just create your own variables for enemy life, agility, and such and skip the battle system all together? You'd have more control over it that way."

Because i can't do the following thing :

I have a variable strength , and the enemy haves a variable defense , now how do i make the it so the variable life of the enemy = my strength - enemy defense ?

Or am i missing something ? ( yeah i'm pretty new)
roberto_m2002

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:41 pm

I have a variable strength , and the enemy haves a variable defense , now how do i make the it so the variable life of the enemy = my strength - enemy defense ?

Create a new task called "attack". Restriction: %strength% must be > %enemy_armour% (or however you plan on making attack rolls work).

Action: change %enemy_life% to Expression "%my_strength% - %enemy defense%" (without quotes).

That's if you want to do it the way you have presented it, although I think you would want to change %enemy_life% to Expression "%enemy_life%-(%my_strength%-%enemy_defense%)" (again, without quotes).
Duncan_B

Postby roberto_m2002 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Well thanks , that helped but i still have problems...

One is that in the battle system you have the option to run a task when a character is killed , in my case i want the enemy to move to hidden when the %elife% (enemy life variable) is 0 ...

Can you please show me how to do it ? I tried it and i couldn't do it ....

And could you tell me if you have the time if it's possible to make a agility like system or accuracy ?

How do i make a random change to hit him with the attack task ? If i can't do this then this battle system is kinda useless ...
roberto_m2002

Postby roberto_m2002 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:47 pm

bump ... and it wasn't change , it was chance* , my bad .
roberto_m2002

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0