ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Task message options - Anyone know how to do this?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby CrypticWizard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 pm

Here's the situation--in my game, I have two tasks the player can perform in the same room. When either of them is performed, it will cause the other task to be undone. For example, pulling one lever on a pedestal will open a door on one side of the room. But, if the other lever has already been pulled, pulling the other lever causes the first door to close. Since pulling either lever will always open the door, how do I set up the task to display the message about the other door closing only when that door is open. Do I have to make two tasks for this, or is there an easier way to do it?

Also, I don't know if this has been asked, but do we have to purchase ADRIFT 5 again when it is released, or do we just get an upgrade to our existing registered copy of ADRIFT?
Once upon a time, nothing happened at all. Really, nothing!

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
CrypticWizard

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:22 pm

CrypticWizard wrote:Also, I don't know if this has been asked, but do we have to purchase ADRIFT 5 again when it is released, or do we just get an upgrade to our existing registered copy of ADRIFT?

No.. you don't have to purchase V.5
Once you've registered the V.4 it's good for life...
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 54Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby reelyor » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:48 pm

How many doors do you have - 2? If so, my thinking would be to use 2 tasks for each lever: one with the condition that the opposite door be closed, and one that it be open. The second instance would undo (reset) the other task and close proper door. Then do the same for the opposite lever.
You could do a siomilar thing using the "state" of the lever - pulled or not pulled

Edited By reelyor on 1285199357
"Live well, Love much, Laugh often"

Working on: "Deperate Isle" and "Niki - An Adult Graphic Adventure"

reelyor@msn.com
Roy
reelyor

Postby CrypticWizard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks, but I actually came up with a better way to do this puzzle for the game--one lever opens a secret door but closes the other doors that were "always" open, being the two doors that were open when the player enters the room, and the other lever closing the secret door but re-opening the two other doors. Since the player was not supposed to venture further with the secret doors both open, I decided to put just one secret door and make it impossible to advance with it open. And it also presented an opporuntity to make the puzzles for those secret room even more fiendish (heh heh heh) ]:)
Once upon a time, nothing happened at all. Really, nothing!

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
CrypticWizard

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0