ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Another question (or so)

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Chilli » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:24 pm

Hi again, all:

Here's another question. I'm trying to impliment a light in a room. When the player first enters it, the room should be pitch black. After the player finds the light and turns it on, I want to display everything in the room.

I thought I had this figured out, and it was working, until I switched the items in the room from dynamic to static.

Is there a way to either hide the static objects until the light is on or to tell the message displaying the info about the static objects to only show once the light is on?

Thanks for your help!

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 am

In the alternate room description (when it's dark), click "and hide objects in room."

Alternatively, if for some reason you needed those hidden static objects to be in another room, you can move static objects using events... but that could definitely end up being the looooong way to do it.

Edited By Duncan_B on 1287105141
Duncan_B

Postby Hensman Int'l » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 am

A method I've used is to create two rooms. The short descriptions may be identified such as "Living Room <dark>" and "Living Room <lit>". <These marks are not seen by the player>. The lamp (regardless of on/off state) would be in both rooms, while all the other static items would be in the lighted room only. The tasks "turn lamp on/off" would relocate the player between the rooms.

Edited By Hensman Int'l on 1287106781
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Hensman Int'l:

What if the player drops an object when the room is dark then turns the lamp on?
What if the player turns on the lamp, drops it in another room, then moves to the dark room?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Hensman Int'l » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:37 am

What if the player turns on the lamp, drops it in another room, then moves to the dark room?
Second question first - the lamp in my example is a static object and not "transportable", similar to a door if you will.
What if the player drops an object when the room is dark then turns the lamp on?

Good point. I'll look into that for "Ba'Roo!" re-release. I believe that a "#check objects" task could perform a move of dropped objects.

Overall, was trying to show an alternate approach. ADRIFT 5 should make the task simpler.
Officially and Fully Released:
The Fly Human (v.4) - 2010
Brain Dead Weekend (v.4) - 2011
Hensman Int'l

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0