ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Importing spell-checked text

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Pinacolada » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 am

So, I re-discovered ADRIFT and this forum after a few years. :)

I exported text and ran it through my favorite text editor's spell-checker (EditPad Pro). It has the additional feature of finding and removing two identical words in a row (the adventure I checked, Camelot v1.05, did have a few instances of this).

It can also "diff" (find differences in) the original text dump and the edited one, so it really cuts down on manual labor later.

Anyhow, I was wondering if there's any neat trick to re-import the text other than selecting chunks of text and pasting them back in under the relevant descriptions in the Generator.

Po. Prune, I don't know whether I'm stepping on your toes by offering you back the spell-checked text (I sincerely hope not), as it was one of the first adventures I downloaded in my quest to find out about current ADRIFT games. I got stuck after lighting the torch in the chamber, and wanted a bit of a nudge in the right direction. It was a pleasant surprise to find the game file wasn't password-protected!

I'm still unsure how to proceed any further in the game; I'll PM him shortly about it.
Pinacolada

Postby Campbell » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:35 am

You can't currently run a spell-check on an entire game (altho there's no reason I couldn't add this feature - if so, please request it on the list). In v5 you could export a module, spell check that, then re-import into a blank adventure. You can also do a global search-replace in v5, which may be of assistance.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 am

Pinacolada wrote:Po. Prune, I don't know whether I'm stepping on your toes by offering you back the spell-checked text (I sincerely hope not), as it was one of the first adventures I downloaded in my quest to find out about current ADRIFT games. I got stuck after lighting the torch in the chamber, and wanted a bit of a nudge in the right direction. It was a pleasant surprise to find the game file wasn't password-protected!

I'm still unsure how to proceed any further in the game; I'll PM him shortly about it.

No problem. and no! you're not stepping on my toes ;)
Actually I'm glad that you took the time and effort to go through Camelot. Mind you, though, that the game is written in UK English, and not US English which may explain some of the odd spelling. I used "Open Office" to spellcheck the game. I will admit there probably are places where I have forgotten to use it, especially if I suddenly got an idea about a piece of text and wanted to change it. :blush:

I have replied to your PM, explaining about your problem in the chamber. I hope that helps you.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Pinacolada » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Campbell:

Okay, I'll add that as a feature request. I'm on the ADRIFT 5 bugs page, but I don't see where to actually add a request... yet. I'll look more in depth in a bit.

Po. Prune:

Thanks for your PM! Appreciate it. I'll try proceeding further. I like all the details so far. :) And I'll definitely give your other work a try, too.

Generally:

Maybe I was a bit of a "hasty pudding" in saying how spell-checking externally would "cut down on manual labor"... then again, if you have a file with only the differences in spelling and the object/room names are listed... Hmm.
Pinacolada

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0