ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Player control vs. Character control

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Chilli » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Hi all:

I'm really new to ADRIFT, so, if this is a common question, please forgive me and just point me to the discussion link.

Here's what I'm wondering. I've got a story idea that involves six characters. I want to be able to switch between characters and have the character the Player "becomes" disappear temporarily but have all items carried by the character become carried by the Player and all items worn by the character become worn by the Player. At the same time, whatever character was previously hidden needs to reappear (silently) and be given whatever items the Player was carrying and wear whatever items the Player was wearing.

Confusing? Maybe. Let's try an example using names.

Three characters are Tom, Dick, and Harry. At the start of the game, Tom is under the Player's control, so the Tom "character" is in a different location (I think of it as Limbo). All other characters are in the same location; let's call it "Home."

The Player is wearing a fedora. He is carrying a pistol.
Dick is wearing a fez. He is carrying a black bird.
Harry is wearing a derby. He is carrying a suitcase.
Tom (in Limbo) wears nothing and carries nothing.

(Here's where the fun begins. <g>)

The Player enters "become dick". At this point, I want to move what the Player is wearing (the fedora) to Tom and have it be worn. I want to move the Player's pistol to Tom. Then, Tom needs to be moved to "Home" from "Limbo". Dick's fez needs to be moved to the Player and worn. Dick's black bird needs to be moved to the Player and carried. Then, Dick needs to be moved to "Limbo".

From what I can see, the Actions "Move All worn objects" and "Move All held objects" seem to only move from the Player to another character. Am I missing a subtle "from" reference in these commands?

Any help will be HUGELY appreciated!

Sincerely,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Switching characters on the fly is a tough thing to do, and I'm not sure there's any way to deal with it perfectly in ADRIFT. One thing you could do is have items not be held by players, but simply available if a player is a certain character. That would remove the worry of having to move those items around and remember who has what.

Alternatively, one of the best ways to have character or viewpoint switches is to tie them to a significant scene. For example, as Tom you walk down into the blackness of the cellar... cut then to playing as Harry, who worries the next day about where Tom has gone. Again, this gets around the business of moving items around.

As far as I know, there is no way in ADRIFT 4 to accurately remember who has what and move between characters as such. If someone else has any other solutions in ADRIFT 4, please post it here.
Duncan_B

Postby AndrewF » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 am

One way i can see for implementing the moving items...

Have 2 rooms for each character, one for the held items and one for the worn items.

When you do the switch you move the relevant objects to the relevant character's rooms, held and worn respectively.

Not neat, but it does the job :)
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Postby Chilli » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi Andrew:

I was thinking that multiple rooms might be required, too, to effect such a move. At least only one character needs to be swapped at a time! <g>

Sincerely,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby Chilli » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Duncan:

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, there are a few times when multiple characters will be in the same room, so it won't be just as simple as tying one character to a particular scene/room. That will help later on, though, when the group becomes divided. heh-heh-heh

Sincerely,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby ralphmerridew » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:01 am

Consider doing this in ADRIFT 5 instead; I think that PC switching is a current or planned feature. (It's definitely a feature in Inform and TADS.)
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby adriftste » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 am

PC switching is indeed a current feature in v5.

and the op's requirements would be easy to code.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2696478/Player%20Switch%20Demo.zip

As this little v5 demo shows there is no need for the limbo character.

(Note: This is a v5 runner exe. I have zip compressed it and have cleared the exe against AVG and Malware Bytes)

Edited By adriftste on 1286270592
adriftste

Postby Chilli » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:02 am

Hi:

Thanks for the info regarding ADRIFT 5. How can I get a copy of this? (I have a registered version of ADRIFT 4.)

Also, I tried creating a coded version of the sample I started out describing in this thread. When I start the game, the Player is assumed to be Tom; the Player is wearing the fedora and is carrying the pistol. However, when I type in "become dick" I get a Stack Space Error. BUT, if I first type in "remove fedora" and then "become dick," it works just fine and continues to work as it should. (I can also type in "wear fedora" before I type in "become dick" and it works without error as well.)

Any suggestions?

Sincerely,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:07 am

If you are a registered member of Adrift (got a registry key) you shold have access to the V.5 Forum.
There you will also find the link to downloading the latest version of V.5
You will be amazed by the difference....
Cheers
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby adriftste » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:23 am

The v5 way of becoming different characters is all done with a single task action

In the above file character switching is all done with a single task 'become %character%' and a single task action.

Move [The Player Character] to switch places with [Referenced character]

all held and worn objects, and the location of the chosen character all automatically become properties of the PC.
adriftste

Postby Campbell » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Chilli wrote:Thanks for the info regarding ADRIFT 5. How can I get a copy of this? (I have a registered version of ADRIFT 4.)

If you email me your details I can change your account to Registered Members. However, the email on your forum account does not appear to be in the registered users database, so I assume you registered with a different address?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Ren » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:26 pm

You can do this in ADRIFT 4, but it requires two tasks per object per player. There is a demo you can download from the site, should you for any reason not wish to use ADRIFT 5.
Ren

Postby Chilli » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:43 am

Hi Ren:

Thanks for the info. What is the demo called? Where would I find it?

Appreciatively,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby Pixelmancer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:40 pm

adriftste wrote:The v5 way of becoming different characters is all done with a single task action

In the above file character switching is all done with a single task 'become %character%' and a single task action.

Move [The Player Character] to switch places with [Referenced character]

all held and worn objects, and the location of the chosen character all automatically become properties of the PC.

Say for example that the player is a werewolf. I have one character for their human form and another for their werewolf form. When the player turns into the werewolf character I obviously wouldn't want their human self to still be standing around. I didn't see an option to turn a character hidden with an action. Is there a way I can make the werewolf character invisible before the transformation and the human character invisible afterward? If not, would it be possible to store the unused character in a location with no entrances and have the storage room (and only the storage room) be invisible on the map?
Pixelmancer

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 pm

Having two characters is probably not the best way to do a player-character werewolf transformation. A better way would be to have a variable player description, and use either a task, variable, or an object state to flag "human" or "wolfman" states.

Also, as far as turning characters hidden with actions, what you're looking for is the "Move character" action in a task. You can move them to "Hidden," which removes them from play. "Hidden" is sort of the default "storage room". Is there a reason you can't use it?
Duncan_B

Next

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0