ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Player control vs. Character control

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Campbell » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:18 pm

Duncan_B wrote:"Hidden" is sort of the default "storage room". Is there a reason you can't use it?

It would make an interesting adventure actually going into that room. Think of all the things that would be in there...
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Pixelmancer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:27 pm

Duncan_B wrote:Having two characters is probably not the best way to do a player-character werewolf transformation. A better way would be to have a variable player description, and use either a task, variable, or an object state to flag "human" or "wolfman" states.

Also, as far as turning characters hidden with actions, what you're looking for is the "Move character" action in a task. You can move them to "Hidden," which removes them from play. "Hidden" is sort of the default "storage room". Is there a reason you can't use it?

A werewolf was just a theoretical example. It was just easier to understand than "character #1" and character #2". What I'm curious about is just how to switch the player's character without the player seeing the other one.

Thanks for telling me where "hidden" was hidden by the way. I never expected "hidden" to be considered a place.

PS: Did this thread give anyone else ideas? playing around with adriftste's exe made me want to make a game where you're having a near death experience. The goal would be to make it back to your body before it's embalmed. The catch is that your spirit can't move physical objects, so in order to solve the puzzles you'd need to pick an NPC to possess who has the right abilities you need to solve the puzzle. For example getting into a restricted area might require you to possess someone with authorization. Moving a heavy object might require you to possess someone stronger, etc. I think it could make a good game.

Edited By Pixelmancer on 1287520883
Pixelmancer

Postby Ren » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 pm

Chilli wrote:Hi Ren:

Thanks for the info. What is the demo called? Where would I find it?

Appreciatively,

"Chilli"

Sorry. Here: download An Exercise in Viewpoint
Ren

Postby Albaniua » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Here's my version of the same thing, except mine runs off variables rather tasks. It has three people and three objects that can be picked up and dropped.

here is the link

[url=http://]http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/new/download.cgi?1201[/url]
Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Postby Albaniua » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Previous

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0