ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Vehicle/Room - Question re: Vehicle

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby DazaKiwi » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:54 am

Hi all,

I'm new here. And relatively new to Adventuring game creating too.

I did an unsuccessful search for a question. Sorry if it has been asked before.

I want to have a vehicle, a car (which i guess is like a room that moves- with other NPC and maybe some objects in the car) that the player can drive so to speak. There might be a multi-choice question for player to choose which destination he would like to go to that pertains to the story. But also a location where player does have to drive around, same way for walking.

So how do you pass the car off as a room (that can have objects) yet move to other rooms (which obviously is outside locations)? Is it a matter of switching/moving player and any NPC's present from one room to a room called Car? Then when out of car, car will become an object player can see? yet other NPC`s may still be in car, and also being able to retrieve some gear from the boot. etc.

This is something i want to have in my Adventure game but don't know how to do it exactly.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

Cheers

Daza
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:49 am

Hi there..
Welcome to the "Drifting world" Hope you'll have a great time here.
As to your request on moving vehicles I'm sure you can find what you look for in the demo section of the Adrift website.
I had the same problem in Ghost Town, and I remember someone making a demo on how it was done.
If you can't find it, give me a shout and I'll see if I can't find the one I used and send it to you.
Cheers
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Albaniua » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:49 am

Sometimes I spend more time on others peoples questions than on my own game. Anybody else do that?

Here's my version of a car demo.
Oh the possibilities are endless.....
drive by shootings....
getting mugged if you are walking the streets......
getting your car jacked if
you leave it in a bad area of town...

http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/new/download.cgi?1202

I have one question to everyone out there: How can I change the motion descriptors. when you type "north" the program spits out "you move north"

How can i have it say " you drive north" when you are "in" the car, and say "you walk north" when you are not in the car?
I thought about it some and couldn't think of a solution.
Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:21 am

I take it that we're talking V.4 here?

I think I did it using tasks.
Task: [enter vehicle]

Task: {go/move} [n/north] (you can change this to whatever direction you wish to go)
Restriction: Task enter vehicle must be completed
Description: "you set the car in gear and drive north"
Action: move character to [location]

Getting out of car:
[leave vehicle]
action: Unset task [enter vehicle] (allows you to enter the car again)

There may be an easier way to do this, but it worked for me.
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:22 am

It depends if you're using v4 or v5. In v4 I think you would need to make the vehicle a room. When you exit the room you would override the out task and move the player to the appropriate place.

In v5 you could create a vehicle object which the player can enter, then move this object around by a drive wherever task.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Albaniua » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:25 am

its v.4
Po, I know what you are talking about, except you would have to make directional tasks for each room. at 2-3 directions for 28 rooms thats a lot of tasks just to add ambience.

I didn't create a "car" room, though. I created a car object that is wearable. The ALR gives the impression that the person is in a car. The task restrictions and alternate room descriptions finish the illusion.
Albaniua

Postby Albaniua » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:29 am

campbell

I thought about making a car room. except it would be hard to "drive it around." You could make tasks like "drive to library" that would move you to a new library room, but you would literally have to type in where you want to go every single time. By having a virtual car you could explore an entire city: grand theft auto style.
Albaniua

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:30 am

Albaniua wrote:Po, I know what you are talking about, except you would have to make directional tasks for each room. at 2-3 directions for 28 rooms thats a lot of tasks just to add ambience.

Ouch... I see.
I used it in Ghost Town, but that was pretty straight forward. The player could only go in one or two directions which made things a lot easier.
Why not register and get V.5? ;)
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Albaniua » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:41 am

I'm registered, at least i'm supposed to be. I like v.4 so much though......:) plus my epic game is in v.4. agh! Maybe I just ALR the thing to something generic like:

You move north.| You go up the street.
Albaniua

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Sometimes I spend more time on others peoples questions than on my own game. Anybody else do that?

Yes.

As to the question, I would either make the interior of the car a room and simply have a static "car" object in every room where it could be seen from the exterior (from those rooms, a player could move "in" to the car). When the player needs to go somewhere from within the car, they could just type "drive to ___". If it's really important you capture a sense of movement, you can fake room descriptions scrolling by in your response or something.

I'm sure there are other, more complicated ways to do it, though.
Duncan_B

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0