ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

competitions suggestions

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Albaniua » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:16 am

i seem to remember an old forum where you could suggest different kinds of competitions but I can't find it.

I wanted to ask if anyone (or if its been done before) would be interested in a competition that rates writing code. Many games rate story and what not. This would be a competition that is not a story but rather the ability of a writer to create a simulation of something.

People new to adrift often times have questions like:
How do I make it so I can control 3 different people and switch between them?
How can I make a laptop sim that does this and that....
How do I make a car that you can get in and out of....

For my first game, I wanted to be able to look at food through a crystal and know whether the food was healthy or poisonous.

Sometimes, old people write games according to what they are able to program in adrift. New people don't know how to program but they know what their game to do.

The competition would rate:

how well the module accomplishes the task
How elegant the solution is.
How in depth the module is--getting into and out of a car is one thing, but cars have tons of other stuff inside of them. A module that allows for that would get higher marks.

Many people who have been playing with adrift for a while know what kind of things are hard to develop. The comp would pit the writers ingenuity and knowledge of the program to develop some pretty awesome stuff.

The comp would be easier to get into because you don't have to finish an entire game.
Focusing on a discrete task is much more enjoyable than the process of writing an entire game.
I love tackling technical challenges.

What do you think?
Honk if you've played Escape from Rungistan.
Albaniua

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:08 am

It's sounds like a good idea.

As a newbie i wouldn't enter of course. But it still would be interesting to see what others come up with.

Can modules for V4 cross over to v5?
DazaKiwi

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:39 am

DazaKiwi wrote:It's sounds like a good idea.

As a newbie i wouldn't enter of course. But it still would be interesting to see what others come up with.

Can modules for V4 cross over to v5?

Why not enter? the fact that you're a "newbie" should keep you from entering. You might even find that you have a comepletely different approach than the "veterans" Heck! I've been "drifting" since before 2002 and I am still discovering new things.

Besides.. if you're working with V.5 everybody can learn something.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 60Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Campbell » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:12 am

v4 modules do not work in v5 as they have never been 100% correct. You could just save as a v4 taf, load in v5 then export as a module.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:23 am

I like the idea, though it is hard to compare something that is useful, but simply done, with something esoteric, but intricately created. When doing this you would need some supporting game features and the more complete game play might distract from the aim of the competition.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Albaniua » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:39 pm

What do you mean by "supporting game features?"

How does one start a competition?

I'm sure theres more to it than just " I hear by bequeath a competition of code writing"
Albaniua

Postby Albaniua » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:42 pm

I think that there should be two different categories, to even the playing field for newer drifters who are not registered.
A sim that has unlimited access to tasks and rooms would have an unfair advantage over one that is limited to the number of tasks and rooms that the unregistered version allows writers.

So, the comp would be in registered and non registered events.
Albaniua

Postby P/o Prune » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:28 pm

Albaniua wrote:I think that there should be two different categories, to even the playing field for newer drifters who are not registered.
A sim that has unlimited access to tasks and rooms would have an unfair advantage over one that is limited to the number of tasks and rooms that the unregistered version allows writers.

So, the comp would be in registered and non registered events.

Or... You could just have the competition with the unregistered limits applying to all contestants...
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Albaniua » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 am

yes...I agree.

After reading a conversation on summer comp, many people were worried about having an effective scoring sheet. Any input on how the scoring should happen?
Albaniua

Postby P/o Prune » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:50 am

Albaniua wrote:yes...I agree.

After reading a conversation on summer comp, many people were worried about having an effective scoring sheet. Any input on how the scoring should happen?

Ohh God! you are stirring up an ants nest here ;)
I thing there are as many opinioins as there are Drifters.
Some prefer a simple vote system, whereas others like a score sheet. (take a look at Abbi's score sheet, it's really worth a look)
For this competition I'd go with a simple vote.
Set up a vote add the games in question and set a closing date. Then count the votes.
Are you planning on a prize, or is it "just" the honor?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:09 am

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but I'm not onboard with this competition idea. The criteria is too fuzzy, and the competition's output would needlessly clog the module page. Though I have tried to establish one, I don't think that there's a clear enough aesthetic drawn for the craft of modules in ADRIFT. We need to get that line drawn before we can start holding competitions for their use.

If more people started using and reviewing modules, someone might be able to make the case for a comp like this. As it is, I don't think it will encourage their use, and I don't think there's any verifiable way to guarantee it will produce useful modules.
Duncan_B

Postby Albaniua » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:00 pm

buzzkill.....mud....stick...in....thereof.....
The criteria is too fuzzy,

could be so, I would need input on how to score the event. something more concrete. i strongly think that there needs to be a comp that celebrates good code, not just good writing.
the competition's output would needlessly clog the module page.

no more than games clog up the adventure page. plus, have you seen when the last modules were posted? Most of them were posted YEARS ago. I think the comp would stretch the program to its limits, just what can you do with the code?
Are you planning on a prize, or is it "just" the honor?

I like prizes...They make me feel good inside, like I done somthin' good. The only problem for me would be mailing a prize to the uk. its far...
Albaniua

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:09 am

no more than games clog up the adventure page.

Which is a lot, and problematic. I don't see any need to propagate the problem to other parts of the site where we can avoid it.

plus, have you seen when the last modules were posted?

Yes I have, seeing as to how the majority of the most recent modules have been written by me over this past year.

At any rate, it sounds like what you're proposing would belong more in the "Demos" section than in the "Modules" section of the Adventures page.
Duncan_B

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0