ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Why do supposedly unseen items act as seen?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Chilli » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi all:

I've got an object -- a shelf -- that allows items to be placed upon it and is also configured as a container. I place two dynamic items -- a small book and a first aid kit -- on the shelf. One of the items -- the first aid kit -- is a "secret switch" that opens a hidden door.

I am trying to keep the kit from triggering the hidden door unless the kit has been "seen" by the player. I view the object with the debugger and it confirms that it has not been seen by the player. I have the Restriction of "a first aid kit must be visible to Player" in the command that is used to get the kit. However, the restriction doesn't seem to trigger. I can get the kit even though I have yet to "examine the shelf".

What am I doing wrong? This works with other items in other containers, but, with those containers, they can be opened and closed. In this situation, the shelf cannot be closed. Is that why this restriction doesn't work?

Any help you can send my way on this will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby David Whyld » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, why is the shelf a container? That implies it can be opened and closed, which is certainly unusual behaviour for a shelf.

AFAIK Adrift counts an item as seen by the player if it's in the room and not hidden in some way. i.e. whether the player has physically seen the item or not is irrelevant.

If you want to use the first aid kit to trigger the hidden door, you could always create a task to examine the shelf and then when the X SHELF task is complete, allow the hidden door to be revealed.
David Whyld

Postby Chilli » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 am

Hi David:

The shelf exhibits the same behavior I've described whether or not it is marked as a container.

I certainly could create the task override for "x shelf" but I wanted to involve the player a bit more in exploring the environment, which is why I tied the action to taking the first aid kit instead of simply examining the shelf.

To be honest, the items on the shelf do not appear listed in the room description until the shelf has been examined. I just wanted to avoid someone bypassing that step should they replay the game.

I also wanted to try and figure out why the restriction that I mentioned doesn't seem to work.

Sincerely,

"Chilli"
Chilli

Postby Duncan_B » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:29 am

Why not create a task-event combo where the event repeats every turn and the task will trigger when the first aid kit is held?
Duncan_B

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0