ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ShadowVault.net - Is the ShadowVault site gone?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby dswxyz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm just belatedly noticing that ShadowVault.net appears to be gone. Was the site moved or backed up anywhere? Was there any announcement? Or it is only missing temporarily and will be back later or what? Please let me know. Thanks.
Written: "Beanstalk the and Jack" * In progress: thinking about "Towers of H'Annoy"
dswxyz

Postby David Whyld » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:59 pm

Gone for good. Though I do have a backup of it on my hard drive.
David Whyld

Postby Duncan_B » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:52 am

I miss Shadowvault. It was extremely valuable to our community. As it is, many games will go unlisted entirely in some of the net's primary archives, since they're no longer available from the main site.

It looks like perhaps Delron has also taken a plunge? Is there no way to access a library of ADRIFT works from that website, as well?
Duncan_B

Postby Duncan_B » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:04 pm

David, have you seen this? A gracious member of the forum has offered to host the ol' Shadowvault! What are your thoughts?
Duncan_B

Postby BlueMaxima » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:40 pm

The Shadowvault page here is on my webhosting. The actual page behind the .co.cc redirect is here. I thought the .co.cc would be better because a subdomain doesn't look too professional :p

My webhosting gives me 30GB of bandwith transfer and 3GB of hard disk space; I believe the hard disk space would be the main problem in hosting Shadowvault, but if compression is needed, I'm sure I can provide that and reupload when I need to.

David, if you wish to do the uploading yourself, I've already set up an FTP account for you that uploads directly into the Shadowvault site, just PM me to get the details. I can give you full access to my webhosting as well and not just that folder, but I don't imagine you needing it.

Get on to me. :)

BlueMaxima
BlueMaxima

Postby David Whyld » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:55 pm

If someone wants to host the old Shadowvault pages, they're more than welcome to - though bear in mind they're a bit of a mess. Web design was never my strength and I tended to just add on extra pages as and when I needed them with the intention of fixing them all "one day".
David Whyld

Postby David Whyld » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:49 pm

For anyone who is interested, I've finished uploading the rest of the site last night. Hopefully not too many broken links or useless information.
David Whyld

Postby rotter » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Duncan_B wrote:I miss Shadowvault. It was extremely valuable to our community. As it is, many games will go unlisted entirely in some of the net's primary archives, since they're no longer available from the main site.

It looks like perhaps Delron has also taken a plunge? Is there no way to access a library of ADRIFT works from that website, as well?

Hi, back for a brief visit.

My site Delron was being hammered by someone continually downloading the whole site. As it contained nearly every ADRIFT game, most of the AIF ones, and loads of other stuff it was killing my bandwidth. So, I removed the games. I still have all the games and other files safe and always intended to return them after short break. As, no-one seemed to notice they had disappeared I decided not to bother.

Edited By rotter on 1292760598
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5 and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby P/o Prune » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:21 pm

I noticed :O
I was wondering what had happened to them.
I hope you'll bring them back some time.

Good to "see" you again, by the way.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 52Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby BlueMaxima » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:41 pm

I can host them if you need me to.
BlueMaxima

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:56 pm

The important thing is to make sure the games are loaded to the IF Archive http://www.ifarchive.org which should be fairly all encompassing and has several mirror sites
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0