ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Changing Default Messages

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby vulture » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello. Can the default messages that appear when objects are defined as having a surface, being a container, etc be removed or altered? For example, if a cup is defined as a container, and it contains water,and it is sitting on a table (defined as a surface), examining the cup will say something like: The cup is on the table. The water is in the cup. Can these messages be changed and, if so, how? Thanks for the help.
vulture

Postby David Whyld » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 pm

You can change them in the ALR:

The cup is on the table. The water is in the cup.|Here is a cup. It's got water in it.

The text on the left side of the | sign will be replaced with the text on the right.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:09 pm

That's a messy way to do it. What if there's potentially more than one object on the table?
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:40 am

That was just an example of how you can use the ALR to change things, as I'm sure you're well aware.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Postby DCBSupafly » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:37 am

Not being able to define your own object types means you either change the output of the predefined objects with ALR or you use tasks and generic objects to simulate containers and such. One is linear, sloppy, and functional, and the other is idealistic, improbable, and fun to think about! If there's a better way to do it I'd love to know but I think ADRIFT 5 will solve a lot of this.
DCBSupafly

Postby adriftste » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm

In V5 nearly ALL library messages can be changed/customised en masse or by object or object group/type.

So, for example with the examine command, all containers could have a different message to all other objects, or the cup could have different message to other containers.

The main (general) examine task would have an overriding (specific) task that states that when examining an object, if that object is the cup display this message. If the object is not the cup the main examine task is run displaying the default examine messages.

I say nearly ALL message can be changed because there still some default messages that can't be changed without resorting to the alr, or text overrides, (mainly to do with conversation and disambiguation), I assume that this is something that will change with future releases.
adriftste

Postby jankupila » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:08 am

So, I write alr to text file, but what I do with the file? Do I put it to the folder where .taf file is?
Programmers are in a race with the Universe to create bigger and better idiot-proof programs, while
the Universe is trying to create bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning.
jankupila

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 am

Import it into your game. Go to File>Import>Language Resource. Click it and then select your file.
Duncan_B

Postby KFAdrift » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:33 am

A better work around can be to have two objects for the empty cup and the cup of water, though it does depend what is being done with them.
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0