ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

;)

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

;)

Postby KFAdrift » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:40 pm

These are tutorial written to assist others in creating games, please feel free to use and modify them as you wish. (A work in progress). There is also a "list of demos available for download from the Adventures page of the ADRIFT main site (Compiled by Eric Mayer, Feb 05).

Written tutorials by Mystery
Included tutorials in the implementations of locked door with a key, working faucets (taps) with running water, dressing player in clothes according to gender selected.

CONVERSATION THREADS
Conversation system tutorial Part 1 - Basic by David Whyld
Assuming you don’t want to use the built-in Adrift conversation system of “ask [name] about [subject]” and want to create your own conversation system along the lines of “talk to [name]” and then follow it with a list of dialogue options, this little tutorial should hopefully point you in the right direction. It contains enough information to (hopefully) steer you towards a decent conversation system.

Conversation system tutorial Part 2 - Medium by David Whyld
In part 1, we had a very basic conversation system which consisted of the player speaking to a character and the character responding with a series of set answers. It was of limited use because the character would give the same response every single time he was asked the question and there was no variation to spice things up. The conversation also ended each time the player had spoken to the character and had to be restarted again to question him about another subject.

Conversation system by ralphmerridew
One way to create a conversation system (assuming there are at most four responses to any NPC text)

Conversation Trees: intermediate by ToddWat
Here's a simple way to create a conversation tree without the use of an ALR. (This is more or less what I did for my game.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

PLAYER AND NPC

NPC sitting or lying on an object
In theory NPCs cannot sit or lie, but this is a way of giving the impression.

ROOMS/LOCATIONS

Move to random room by KF
A fairly simple way of displaying the room description when you move the player to a random room (with link to demo).

EVENTS

Phone ringing problem
"I'm obviously new to Adrift authoring and would like some recommendations on how to do my phone ringing problem correctly. I would like to have my event go off randomly between 4 and 7 turns or something like that. I also want to report that no one is on the phone when the user picks up the phone when its not ringing."

Crushing problem
"I'm trying to design a ceiling death trap, so when a player removes a item from a hook, the ceiling will start to lower and the door seals off. When the other item is placed on the hook(or the first is replaced), the ceiling rises back up and the door opens.

ALR OR VARIABLES

Gumball Machine Tutorial, Random change variables and ALR by Mystery (9 Feb 05)
Variables & the ALR for Beginners
If you have ever given variables a try, and failed miserably or just didn’t understand them to begin with, then this simple tutorial should help you get started.

Edited By David Whyld on 1196947681
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby NicolasJC316 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:43 am

Whenever I click on the links you provided, I get this.

Error 404 - Page Not Found

I apologize in advance if I am not supposed to reply to this thread :(
NicolasJC316

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:30 am

I think the links apply to the forum prior to the last upgrade. If you change the "IB3" in the addresses to "IB", it works fine.

EDIT: try the links now. They should work.

Edited By David Whyld on 1152865976
David Whyld

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:32 am

To make any broken link work, simply remove the '3' next to the 'iB' in the web address.

e.g.

The link for the gumball machine tutorial is:

http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi....;t=3639

If you type the following instead:

http://www.adrift.org.uk/cgi/iB/ikonboard.cgi?act=NW;f=4;t=3639

Then the link will work. It's because the forum got upgraded. Someone should probably fix the links sometime. We do have all of these shiny new moderators now . . .

edit: Damn. I'm too slow. I take back my moderator mockery.

Edited By Ren on 1152866051
Ren

Postby David Whyld » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:34 am

Ren wrote:Someone should probably fix the links sometime. We do have all of these shiny new moderators now . . .

:p

Ren wrote:edit: Damn. I'm too slow. I take back my moderator mockery.

:p :p :p

Edited By David Whyld on 1152866126
David Whyld

Postby NicolasJC316 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:14 pm

Thanks David, that helps very much! I'll read them and learn how to impliment the features of ADRIFT even more.

Thanks Ren, and it's ok by me. I like it when people like you explain things in a simple, easy way and then give an example. I love that. :D
NicolasJC316

Postby Schrammbo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:42 pm

I am trying to make a game give a specific sequence of replies to trying the same task repeatedly. this is supposed to be only in a specific order and have tried calling up tasks from within tasks but can't manage to do that right. Any help would be appreciated.
Schrammbo

Postby David Whyld » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:47 pm

Why not just have a series of tasks of the same name, non-repeatable, with different text displayed for each one?
David Whyld

Postby Schrammbo » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:49 pm

I know. I'm just trying something new. I wanted to see if there was a simpler way to do it. :)
Schrammbo

Postby KFAdrift » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:30 pm

Set up a variable, var for example.
Have task increment variable
In output put something like [REPLY%var%]

then create an ALR, explained in many places, containing
[REPLY1]|The first thing you want to ouput
[REPLY2]|The next thing
[REPLY3]|Something else

Import the ALR, save your file and voila
KF
Staring harder at the screen doesn't give any more inspiration
KFAdrift
Site Admin

Postby Lem » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:21 pm

The links does'nt seem to work. And I am in dire need of conversation help :blush:
Lem

Postby David Whyld » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:29 pm

A few key letters in the forum address seem to have changed again thus rendering the old links unworkable. But I've fixed them now so hopefully they’ll all work.
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0