ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Trap Problem - I have a problem with this trap

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby CrypticWizard » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

In my game, I am making a door that is trapped. If a task is performed in a different room, the trap is disarmed and the door can be unlocked safely. However, if the disarm task has NOT been performed, attempting to unlock the door will kill the player.

Here is the problem. I made two tasks: one if the trap has been disarmed, and one if it hasn't. But I put the "trap not disarmed" task first, which resulted in killing the player even if the trap had been disarmed. So I tried putting that task second, but this resulted in the player being able to unlock the door even without disarming the trap.

I set the restrictions for the "trap disarmed" task as follows: door must be in room, key must be held by player, disarm task must be completed. Then I set the restrictions for the second unlock task, the "trap not disarmed" task, the same except that the third restriction was the disarm task must not be completed. Can anyone help me with this?

Edited By CrypticWizard on 1297976490
Once upon a time, nothing happened at all. Really, nothing!

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
CrypticWizard

Postby AndrewF » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Have you set a restriction that the disarm task is completed or not in the open door task?
Never appeal to a mans "better nature". He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage.
- L. Long.

Current Work In Progres: "Voyage of the Starfarer." R=530, T=435, O=173, C=11, E=37
AndrewF

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0