ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Running before I can walk?

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Postby Lazzah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi all,

Am totally new to ADRIFT, but am slowly getting the drift of it. (Terrible pun!). I have spent the last 20-odd years programing with PAW and ACE (it's PC equivilent) so it is hard not to think in terms of what I was and was not able to do with PAW. From what I have seen of ADRIFT in the short time I have had it, it looks as if I can do a whole lot more than I was able to with PAW.

However, I do have a question (or six!): In my latest PAW'd game, which I am now going to try to port over to ADRIFT, the game opens at a title page, with a graphic, and the player is given 3 choices:

The first is to press P to read the Prologue of the adventure and the playing instructions. Once the player has read through them, they would then start the game from the first location

Next is to press S to start the game from the first location without reading the prologue.

Lastly, press L to start the adventure from a previously saved position.

Is it possible to do this with ADRIFT?

Secondly, when the player actually starts the game in the first location, by the Entrance Gate of a Castle, a portcullis crashes down behind the player, sealing off the exit west from the castle. I assume I program this as an Event, but how do I get it to happen when the first location is described on screen?

I know this all sounds like I am trying to run before I can walk, but it will help my understanding of how ADRIFT works.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Lazzah
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby Campbell » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Your best bet is to create a start room, then have 3 tasks in that room that have as commands "P", "S" and "L".

For the portcullis, you can create a task to override the movement task, that closes the portcullis as well as move the player. This is easier in v5.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Lazzah » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi Campbell,

Thanks for that. Have now purchased Adrift 5, look forward to seeing it.

BTW, next time I will post in the correct discussion!

Larry.
OUT NOW: Run, Bronwynn, Run!
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire and The Lost Children
Lazzah

Postby ralphmerridew » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Start the game with the portcullis closed.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Lazzah wrote:Secondly, when the player actually starts the game in the first location, by the Entrance Gate of a Castle, a portcullis crashes down behind the player, sealing off the exit west from the castle. I assume I program this as an Event, but how do I get it to happen when the first location is described on screen?

Type the location description into the intro box with the portcullis open then in the room description do the same thing but this time with the portcullis closed. The portcullis has really been closed all along but the player won't know that.
##################################

In progress: Shadows of the Mind 87k and counting. ETA: sometime in 2018.
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0