ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Creating phone conversations

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Creating phone conversations

Postby occasionallyneeded » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:52 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I got Adrift 5 about a month ago, and so far have been doing pretty well with it, if I do say so myself. However, I seem to have hit a snag and nowhere I've looked has had a solution for how to fix it. I want to have a ringing phone what can be answered, and then conversed with. What I plan to do is this
-phone is answered with an "Answer" command. My problem with this is that adrift 5's synonyms feature makes it so that the only way I can get this to work is by using "Answer" as a synonym for "Take." However, this makes "answer" work as "Take" for other objects, which is not what I want.
-Second, I have created a "voice" character, to converse with while on the phone. However, typing "ask voice about.." before even answering the phone will start a conversation.
Could anyone help me with this? I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, I haven't found it.
occasionallyneeded

Re: Creating phone conversations

Postby Campbell » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 am

Rather than change the 'take' task to add 'answer' as a synonym, could you add a new task 'answer %object%' that checks that the object is the phone else "You can't answer that", that as an action executes task 'take %object%'?

And as for the voice character, why not move that to the location only after you answer the phone?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0