ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Runner Overflow Error

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Runner Overflow Error

Postby Duncan_B » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm getting a curious error message whenever I start up the v4 Runner, be it from the Generator to test a game in progress or if I just boot it up alone to play a game. It says: "Error retrieving stored information. - Overflow >35True". As far as I can tell, it seems to affect the layout of the Runner. I usually have a map and graphics on the right-hand side, but now it loads up without. When I activate them, they take up a really large proportion of the screen by default, so I have to size them back down.

Any ideas as to what's going on here and how it might be solved?
Duncan_B

Re: Runner Overflow Error

Postby Campbell » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:59 am

I think it's caused by a dodgy saved setting. If you delete the VB and VBA Settings/ADRIFT block in the registry or run the uninstall.exe, it should cure.
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:16 pm

I'll give it a shot. Where would I find those settings? It sounds like if that fails, I should re-install ADRIFT 4?

I don't know if it'll help in the further diagnosis of this, but I've also discovered that >UNDO now causes a "subscript out of range" error which produces no response, but doesn't crash the Runner either.
Duncan_B

Postby Campbell » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:10 am

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\ADRIFT. Running the uninstall.exe does much the same tho.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Just had this problem after using v5 for a few days. I wonder if the v5 install screws up the v4 runner. Will try re-installing v4, fingers crossed.
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:04 pm

Tried installing v4 over the top of previous install and still same Overflow error message.
Have now un-installed v4 and hoping for a possible solution before I re-install.
Slightly peeved about this as v4 is a paid for program and I was assured v5 and v4 could co-exist.
Quite like v5 but would hope there is a cure for the issue, which may or may not be connected with installing v5.
:(
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I'm sure having fun." (Herman Munster: Circa 1970)
Driftwood

Postby Jin Sane » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:52 pm

Curious.

I've not experienced any issues with Runner 4 yet. I'd like to point out that I've only been using this computer for about a month and I installed ADRIFT5 on it weeks before downloading and installing Runner 4, if that's relevant.
Jin Sane

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:04 pm

Could be you installed v5 before v4. Not too sure about that. I had v4 installed and running with no problems until I installed v5. Might be coincidence or cause. I did find that the V4 editor wouldn't accept file associations due to permissions problem. Not too worried though as I have v4 running on my netbook on XP. No big deal.
Thanks for reply Jin Sane.
Driftwood

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 pm

v4 needs to be run as administrator to be able to register file extensions.

Re the overflow error, I haven't identified which setting causes the error. It sounds like v5 stores something in a variable that both versions use, but v4 isn't expecting. If you can identify which one it is by removing the entries one by one, then I could give you a shortcut to fix the problem when launching v4. I have no plans at this time to update v4 tho.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Duncan_B » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:20 pm

What are the odds of this being resolved before the end of the month for IFComp?
Duncan_B

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks Campbell,
I tried admin setting with no luck. No problem though as it works fine on my humble netbook. Not too worried as I'm pretty much hooked on V5. Might have another try on laptop.
Cheers
Driftwood

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:28 pm

Duncan_B wrote:What are the odds of this being resolved before the end of the month for IFComp?
Difficult unless I can reproduce, or someone who gets the problem can assist, as above.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Driftwood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:32 pm

What entries are you referring to?
Driftwood

Postby Campbell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:49 pm

If you run regedit.exe and navigate to the key above, try deleting each entry in the Runner or Shared section. One of the entries will be the culprit, so Runner should start up without the error after removing one of them.
Campbell
Site Admin

Postby Driftwood » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:30 am

Might try later as busy today. This is reg entries just for v4 and won't cripple v5? Got to re install on laptop which might fix issue anyway,maybe. Will post when I've tried it. Cheers
Driftwood

Next

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0