ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Online Runner troubles

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Online Runner troubles

Postby Duncan_B » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Campbell wrote:Please let me know of anything that doesn't work correctly in WebRunner. The only real difference I'm aware of currently is <waitkey> not working.

>wait or >z defaults to making three turns go by no matter what it's set to in the game.

Can't scroll back through commands by pressing the up arrow

Conversation doesn't work properly. observe:
>ask mother about house
You try, but your mother changes the subject.

The above should have a response. But it's not nearly as strange as the following:
>ask father about retirement
You try, but your mother changes the subject.

This should also have a response (from the father). These work just fine in a downloaded copy of the game.

Characters who shouldn't show up at the end of room descriptions (they are already written into the room description for this scene) show up at the end of the room description.

In "Back Home," when the player awakens in their bedroom, it reports after showing exits for the room: "your mother and your father are here.(sic)" They are not and that text should not be there. It's not there in a downloaded copy.

Latency in command response (not a broken thing, but still an annoyance I figured I'd mention if it's something that can be improved)

A few times while I was typing, the command line inconveniently cleared itself, so I had to type my command over again. This only seemed to happen with inputs longer than, say, 12 or so characters (in length, not an input referencing 12 characters-- that would be insane).

">x me" doesn't execute properly (in "Back Home" the display of the character's inventory has been ALR'd out of the examine me response... in the online Runner, it's back in, and quite a bit more jarring than might be expected)

Inventory has also been ALR'd, but doesn't properly display (the game reports "You are wearing nothing," which it shouldn't do in Back Home)

Some necessary commands in the game simply don't work, though they work just fine in a downloaded Runner. For example, examining an object which isn't really there, but whose examining has been simulated by a task in this game just reports "I'm sorry, I don't know which object or character you are trying to examine." So the game is unwinnable when played using the Online Runner.

Aaarggh
Duncan_B

Re: Online Runner troubles

Postby David Whyld » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:25 pm

Is any of this down to the game originally having been written in V4 and then being automatically converted to V5 when played via the Webrunner? I know when I was testing my IFComp entry last year, I ran into a few bugs in the V5 version that weren't present in the V4 one.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Suggestion: Have the autoconversion function add a line like "<FONT COLOR=RED>This game has been automatically converted from version ____ to version ____. The conversion may not be exact and there may be bugs.</FONT>" to the intro text. An author who determines that the game performs acceptably can manually erase the line.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby nikkil » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:12 am

I'd love that too. I just hope it gets implemented maybe sometime next year.
nikkil

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0