ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Updates to ADRIFT 4

This forum is the place to discuss the older ADRIFT versions 3.9 and 4.0.

Please refer to the ADRIFT 4 Manual for more information.

Updates to ADRIFT 4

Postby David Whyld » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm

I know things have moved on and V5 is what all the cool kids are using these days, but are there any plans to further update V4 one day? It's still used by people (well, by me anyway) and I think it would be a shame if it was just put out to pasture.
David Whyld

Re: Updates to ADRIFT 4

Postby Campbell » Sat May 25, 2013 10:15 am

I don't really have plans to - its difficult enough as it is finding time to work on v5, documentation, the website etc. was there anything in particular you were looking for?
ADRIFT Developer developer.
Campbell
Site Admin

Re: Updates to ADRIFT 4

Postby David Whyld » Sat May 25, 2013 9:10 pm

Nothing major, but I've noticed from playing a number of old V4 games that the default responses to a lot of what I type in tend to be a little offputting. ADRIFT has the annoying habit of putting an exclamation mark at the end of many error messages, and with no way of access all the default error messages in the program, it's a task and a half to cover them all. Even when you think you have, you keep finding new ones that managed to slip past. So maybe an option to display all the default error messages in ADRIFT in one place so they could all be edited?

Put an option in the Generator for the author of a game to specify the default font colour used in the Runner. Players can change this if they like, but I imagine I'm not the only person who finds the default green on black colour to be less than ideal.

I'd also like to see better handling of ambiguities, but I'm guessing that would probably require a major rewrite of the code and so is probably more trouble than it's worth. But how about an option to execute multiple tasks from a single task without having to select each from the dropdown menu? Let me pull out the menu and click on each in turn.

Maybe an option to make all tasks repeatable by default?
David Whyld

Return to ADRIFT 3.9 and 4.0