ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

What are you working on in 2017

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: What are you working on in 2017

Postby rotter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:24 pm

David Whyld wrote:The v5 Runner should work for it. In theory anyway. It's not finished so I haven't tested it properly yet so I can't say for certain how smoothly it will run with the v5 Runner, but hopefully it won't mess things up too badly. Once I've finished it, I'll run it through the v5 Runner and see how it goes.

You really ought to have the v4 Runner installed anyway, though. There are a lot of very good v4 games out there which would probably blow up if you tried using the v5 Runner with them.

Both my V4 IFComp entries (2005 & 2006) do not play properly with the V5 Runner. Haven't tried any others but I bet it is the same. It is not that they blow-up exactly but the game doesn't work properly, so it looks like they are buggy.
Currently working on "The Blank Wall" in ADRIFT 5, "Word of the Day" and "Again and Again" in Inform 7.
Delron, the home of Otter Interactive Fiction.
rotter

Postby David Whyld » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm not expecting it to work flawlessly and I've ran into plenty of problems with my playing my own v4 games with the v5 Runner, but I'm hopeful that whatever problems I come across won't be too hard to fix. If they are, well, then too bad. I haven't got the willpower to mess around with v5 to any great degree.

With a bit of luck, Saabie's Runner will handle v4 games better than the official v5 one when it launches.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:43 am

rotter wrote:Both my V4 IFComp entries (2005 & 2006) do not play properly with the V5 Runner. Haven't tried any others but I bet it is the same. It is not that they blow-up exactly but the game doesn't work properly, so it looks like they are buggy.

I actually would prefer if v5 would just flat out refuse to convert v4 games at all, compared to the current situation where it just subtly breaks things and gives no indication of it so that you're never sure if you're just stuck or up against a bug, or if it's an issue caused by the runner.

But there are more games by far written in v4 and so I always keep a copy around.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:18 am

That'd be my preference as well, but unfortunately whenever the subject gets raised nothing gets done about it. I'm sure it'd be a pretty simple thing (speaking as a non-programmer here, of course) for the Runner to check which version of ADRIFT a certain game has been written with and simply pop up a message along the lines of "You're using a wrong version of the Runner. Click this link to download the correct version."

A while ago, I suggested a possible solution with Campbell simply combining the v4 and v5 Runners into one package. That way, when you play a game, the Runner simply checks which version it was written with and then fires up the correct Runner. Unfortunately, nothing much happened with that, either.
David Whyld

Postby Jimpuppy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Po. Prune wrote:Is this your first work?

Yep. :wink:
:x :haha:
Jimpuppy

Postby Lumin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm

I'm converting a short story into an IF/CYOA hybrid. It may or may not be finished in time to enter it into the Beginner comp.
Lumin

Postby RenatoDias » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 pm

Working on a survival horror text adventure game and doing weekly livestreams teaching people how to use ADRIFT. I did one this last saturday.
RenatoDias

Postby Lumin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Writing a CYOA for a superhero contest right now and rapidly running out of time before the deadline. It's occurred to me I could basically convert any completed CYOA into an ADRIFT game without much difficulty, but most people would probably rather play it on a website than through a runner, no matter how much the idea of having it on its own file appeals to me...
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:09 pm

If possible, I always download games and play them there. I've never been fond of playing over the internet.
David Whyld

Postby Po. Prune » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 am

Lumin: It's possible to play the Adrift games "online" as well as downloading them. Like you and David, I prefer to download the game and play it off line.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lumin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:45 am

Po. Prune wrote:Lumin: It's possible to play the Adrift games "online" as well as downloading them. Like you and David, I prefer to download the game and play it off line.

I'm aware but I've always had a hard time getting the games to load in Firefox, and either way, man, it's set up so you've really got to hunt for that option...

I always, always vastly preferred being able to download a game and play it offline, but I've come to accept that's mostly because I'm old. :blush: Still the superior way to play for a number of reasons, but I don't think newer IF fans really see it that way.
Lumin

Postby Po. Prune » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Lumin wrote:I always, always vastly preferred being able to download a game and play it offline, but I've come to accept that's mostly because I'm old. :blush:

Old? Wanna compare birth dates? :wink:

But I agree with you. I prefer to be able to download the game and play it off line. For instance, the wifi really sucks on the train I take to and from work.
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby David Whyld » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:41 am

One of the big problems I've always had with playing games in a browser is that I get distracted too easily. I’ll suddenly decide to check my e-mails or click on another website – and the game I'm playing is gone. Then, too, you've got the problems Po Prune mentioned. My home internet connection is pretty stable but the one on the bus to and from work is patchy at best. Half the time it works, half it doesn't. If I'm playing a game online, it’s hit or miss as to whether I’ll lose everything on a minute by minute basis.

Then you've the problems with so many browsers available and the game in question not necessarily working with your browser of choice. A game that works fine with Firefox might run into problems with Chrome. Another that works fine with both might crash if used with Microsoft Explorer / Edge. Or maybe the game was written with a specific version of the browser in mind but since that time, the browser has been updated and something that once worked doesn't any longer. Or maybe your browser is out of date so the game keeps crashing. And so on and so forth.
David Whyld

Postby ralphmerridew » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 pm

IIRC:

Twine, Undum,and Parchment games download the script completely when you start, so the quality of your internet connection shouldn't matter after that. (But any graphic or sound resources are not downloaded until needed.)

OTOH, Choice of Games, ADRIFT Webrunner, and Quest Webrunner contact the server after every move.
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby Jimpuppy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:28 am

I don't know, but I might not finish some of my WIPs this year :0
Working on:
Fountain Of Youth.
Welcome To My House.
:x :haha:
Jimpuppy

Previous

Return to General IF