ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Remaking Adrift 5 in Unity

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Remaking Adrift 5 in Unity

Postby Stardog » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm working on a full remake of Adrift 5 in Unity. The main reasons are so I can use custom dialogue systems, allow for more detailed interactions with objects, and WebGL export. Also, future potential for multiplayer/co-op play.

It's an interesting project to try to design. :x . I'm trying to do most things the way Adrift would with General/Specific Tasks, etc. I'll put it on GitHub as soon as it becomes 'usable'.

Building a specific task in code would look something like this, but would be simplified more in the future with a custom editor, or just scan the name of the GameObject and generate it from there. "look {at} (oPainting)".
adrift Code: Select all
AddSentenceElement(new ElementVerbID("vLook"));
AddSentenceElement(new ElementTextOptional("at"));
AddSentenceElement(new ElementObjectID("oPainting"));

I've already had to redesign the structure a few times.

Have any of you thought about doing something like this? How would you design it, and what features would you expect to see?
Stardog

Re: Remaking Adrift 5 in Unity

Postby Po. Prune » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:32 am

Hi Stardog.
I believe that Campbell would be the right person to ask about this.
He hasn't been around for quite sometime but I'll forward your post to him and hopefully he'll reply.
Don't give up hope.
Cheers
D-Day V.5 in progress 79Kb so far (slowly getting there)
Anno 1700 in progress 111Kb
Po. Prune

Postby Lazzah » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:38 am

Stardog wrote:I'm working on a full remake of Adrift 5 in Unity.

Sorry to put a dampener on your efforts, but I would personally avoid anything that involved using commands such as the above like the plague! The whole point about ADRIFT is that it is so easy to use. There are those of us - mostly the older generation - who find "expressions" like the above totally baffling. One reason I have avoided using Inform7 is the need to use code to perform the simplest of tasks.
OUT NOW: The Lost Children
Current W.I.P.: Magnetic Moon
Also available: The Axe of Kolt, The Spectre of Castle Coris, The Fortress of Fear, Die Feuerfaust - The Fist of Fire
Lazzah

Postby Stardog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Lazzah wrote:
Stardog wrote:I'm working on a full remake of Adrift 5 in Unity.

Sorry to put a dampener on your efforts, but I would personally avoid anything that involved using commands such as the above like the plague! The whole point about ADRIFT is that it is so easy to use. There are those of us - mostly the older generation - who find "expressions" like the above totally baffling. One reason I have avoided using Inform7 is the need to use code to perform the simplest of tasks.

Yes, but Unity has an Editor layer you can use to hide the raw code. It would be no more complex than writing adrift's "[look/l] {at} %object%".

So you would have 3 different ways of doing it. Raw code, expressions, or visual editor.

Stardog

Postby Denk » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Stardog wrote:Have any of you thought about doing something like this? How would you design it, and what features would you expect to see?

A feature I think is important for a modern IF-tool is the ability to play online, including ability to save your game. I hope that is possible with Unity (perhaps that is what webGL means?).

Looking forward to try a "usable" version, once it becomes available!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Out now: The Royal Puzzle, The Way Home & The Dragon Diamond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Denk

Postby DazaKiwi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:12 pm

This sounds interesting. I hope you can get it off the ground. Do keep us in the loop of your progress if you are able to go ahead with it with Campbell's blessing.
DazaKiwi

Postby Lumin » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:45 pm

Looks interesting, good luck and keep us updated. Maybe something like this would help kickstart the community a little.
Currently working on: Nada. Zip. Zilch. [Check this space later.]
Lumin

Postby Stardog » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:08 am

Denk wrote:
Stardog wrote:Have any of you thought about doing something like this? How would you design it, and what features would you expect to see?

A feature I think is important for a modern IF-tool is the ability to play online, including ability to save your game. I hope that is possible with Unity (perhaps that is what webGL means?).

Looking forward to try a "usable" version, once it becomes available!

Yes, WebGL means the games will be playable in a browser without plugins/addons.

I'm still working on some of the interesting design problems for this. I have done the basic text parsing. It will take the "look {at} [item]" format, split the command up into pieces, and match it to the closest "Task".

The harder problem is supporting complex game ideas. I will have to use Reflection to do some of the more complex stuff Adrift does such as the Action/Restrictions editor that let you choose from a list of things.
Stardog

Return to General IF