ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

IntFiction's new look

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: IntFiction's new look

Postby P/o Prune » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:48 pm

NO! I'm not going to do it.
But someone ought to set up at whole new forum for all platforms. I can't believe that they were able to force Sid to step down as admin. I would given them a fair warning "This forum is no longer being paid for by me!" kind of thing and then after a week or so, simply closed it down.
End of story.
D-Day V.5 in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 48Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:04 pm

I don't think it was a case of him being forced out - I mean, he's the admin, he can literally ban anyone on the forums that he chooses - but just becoming so fed up of the way things were. It's a bit much when you go to the trouble of setting up a forum, paying for the costs of running it, moderating it successfully for a good few years, and then a bunch of ungrateful asswipes just come along and tell you what a terrible job you're doing when you've actually done nothing wrong. I think he was so fed up of things, he just decided to give it up. From what I've heard other people say later, he wasn't in the best health so I think the added stress wasn't doing him any favours, which makes the whole situation even worse.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:42 am

Imagining a much cooler alternate reality and how much better the IF community would be today if he'd just gone 'LOL!' and banned all the whiners.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am

Oh, if only. Int-fiction would be a much better place and it'd probably still look like a proper forum and not some toddler's play-pen.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:30 am

Didn't anybody oppose the change?
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:16 am

No one had the opportunity to. There was just a thread announcing the change from phpBB to Discourse, people complained saying how bad Discourse was and how many flaws it had, but they went ahead anyway a few days later. Considering what a major change this is, you'd have thought they'd have started a proper discussion about it, got people's opinions, discussed the pros and cons, etc, but nope. Just "we're switching to Discourse" and then switching before anyone had chance to protest.

I'm guessing they did this because they suspected that, if given the choice, hardly anyone would have supported the switch to Discourse, so they figured it was best to simply make the switch without asking anyone and deal with the fallout afterwards.
David Whyld

Postby P/o Prune » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm

David Whyld wrote:No one had the opportunity to. There was just a thread announcing the change from phpBB to Discourse, people complained saying how bad Discourse was and how many flaws it had, but they went ahead anyway a few days later. Considering what a major change this is, you'd have thought they'd have started a proper discussion about it, got people's opinions, discussed the pros and cons, etc, but nope. Just "we're switching to Discourse" and then switching before anyone had chance to protest.

I'm guessing they did this because they suspected that, if given the choice, hardly anyone would have supported the switch to Discourse, so they figured it was best to simply make the switch without asking anyone and deal with the fallout afterwards.

Sounds like something that happened in Germany around 1935 ? :shock:

Well, I didn't use it much before and I this new look is certainly not urging me to visit it more often.
I think I'll just stick to using it for the Annual IF Comp-
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:48 am

Holy sh** ! :shock:

I logged in to the new Intfic just now and was greeted with this message:

discobot

Feb 25

"Thanks for joining The Interactive Fiction Community Forum, and welcome!

•I’m only a robot, but our friendly staff are also here to help if you need to reach a person.

•For safety reasons, we temporarily limit what new users can do. You’ll gain new abilities (and badges 1) as we get to know you.

•We believe in civilized community behavior at all times.

If you’d like to learn more, select below and bookmark this personal message. If you do, there may be a :gift: in your future!"

I didn't like the new look from the beginning but reading this message only confirmed my fear that the whole set up looks more and more like a discount product.
Is it really necessary to offer people gifts or badges in order to keep then coming back? :lol:
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:57 am

ughhhhhhh weird
The0didactus

Previous

Return to General IF