ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

ADRIFT Discord server

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

ADRIFT Discord server

Postby Lumin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:59 pm

(Finn, would you mind pinning this?)

Let's try this again.

https://discord.gg/WD6kBfB

I've made a dedicated server for ADRIFT now, instead of just inviting you all to come hang out in a side channel tacked onto the CYS one. I even prepopulated it with 15 people and one sentient AI, all ready to hear about your games and be tempted into making one of their own. ADRIFT veterans and lurkers alike are welcome, as well as any players of IF in general. (Just no AIF or NSFW content please, there are minors in there.)

I know it's technology but it's not scary! It's quite safe. You can think of it like a chat room/forum hybrid. Look:

Not that Theo isn't great and all, but it'd be nice to have a few more authors in there. I'm really excited to see what the next year will bring.
Lumin

Re: ADRIFT Discord server

Postby The0didactus » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:39 pm

I've been hanging out with these folks for about a year and a half now and it's been fun. They're a great crew to bounce ideas off of. I'd love for this to turn into a worthwhile community, and I've invited some of my friends as well
The0didactus

Postby Cricket » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:44 pm

I have to ask: what is AIF, and where can I find it?
Cricket

Postby David Whyld » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Sorry to be a party pooper, but is there really any need for a Discord server? This forum is fairly quiet most of the time as it is without most of the discussion being diverted somewhere else.
David Whyld

Postby Cricket » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 pm

It's easier for someone new to stay involved with a community if they have a reminder that it exists be on their mobile phones. So it will likely stimulate activity here more than anything.
Cricket

Postby Lumin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:13 pm

It's also easier to just click a link when you're casually interested in a new site and get to know the community before you go through the trouble of registering.

We've had several people join my other server who didn't have CYS accounts, to the point we had to make it a rule to create one and give us the name. Seemed weird to me at first but Discord is becoming ubiquitous now and that's just the way it is. There was also a tradition that developed to make them either post a short story on the forum or write a review before they could take part in regular server activity, so it was good for the site in the long run.

Also what Cricket said. A forum is a thing you have to remember to check, Discord is a constant stream of activity on your phone, and one that makes it easier to get quick responses to questions or thoughts, often on minor things you'd hesitate to make a thread about. ('Does this sentence look weird?' and so on.) Forums are still the only format for long, detailed posts, but a more casual chat environment has a place too.

Anyway, I wasn't expecting a huge amount of interest from people already used to just the forum tbh, but this is a good way to cast a wider net for newbies and lurkers.
Lumin

Postby David Whyld » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:42 pm

Okay, fair point. I suppose if it gets people talking about ADRIFT, it can only be a good thing, whether it's here, there or wherever.
David Whyld

Postby Lumin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:49 pm

So, the other day we got our first new member through this thread; a not especially bright 12 year old who spammed emojis, constantly spewed contentless drivel, and after a great deal of prompting still had zero interest in discussing writing or the use of ADRIFT, even though that was what he was allegedly there for.

As I commented after banning him, I've had more compelling and meaningful conversations with bots. ADRIFT forum, you're welcome for this important filtering service provided by the humble folks on the ADRIFT discord.

And if Hammy shows up here, I'm happy I will no longer be the one responsible for him.
Lumin

Postby Lumin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:08 am

And now we have Daryl and he's so much better, and he's polite and so normal seeming. Oh my God, what a relief.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:39 pm

Lumin wrote:So, the other day we got our first new member through this thread; a not especially bright 12 year old who spammed emojis, constantly spewed contentless drivel, and after a great deal of prompting still had zero interest in discussing writing or the use of ADRIFT, even though that was what he was allegedly there for.

As I commented after banning him, I've had more compelling and meaningful conversations with bots. ADRIFT forum, you're welcome for this important filtering service provided by the humble folks on the ADRIFT discord.

And if Hammy shows up here, I'm happy I will no longer be the one responsible for him.

Your service is highly valued and much appreciated :yeah:
and NO! you are not getting extra points. :haha:
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 64Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby Lumin » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:27 pm

I'll have plenty of points once the Ectocomp is open.

Hoping I can get four hours free today to write the first game.
Lumin

Return to General IF