ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

New year resolutions

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

New year resolutions

Postby David Whyld » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:45 am

As we’re approaching the end of another year, I think it’s high time we came up with some ADRIFT-related new year resolutions. Next year, 2020, I intend to do the following*:

1. Write a game. Yes, an actual game. Hopefully one of the many, many games I've started over the past year or so then abandoned for whatever reason (most likely because the idea was cr*p once I started writing it) will finally make it to the finish line.

2. Enter the IFComp. Maybe with the game above, maybe not. I'm still not sold on the whole updates during the voting period of the comp idea, but clearly it’s here to stay so I might as well just enter a game and see how it goes.

3. Start playing games again. I don't know why I don't play many these days but hopefully next year I’ll get some done.

4. Start writing reviews again. Which is pretty much dependent on 3 above as I’ll need to do that before I can review them. At one time I used to write lots of reviews. I didn't review every single ADRIFT game out there, but I still did loads, but these days I seldom write reviews. Then again, I seldom play games full stop which doesn't help with the whole reviewing side of things.

* Secure in the knowledge that I will almost certainly not achieve any of these, which is pretty much a tradition with me these days. But what's the point in having new year resolutions if you actually follow through on them?
David Whyld

Re: New year resolutions

Postby Corey Arnett » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:14 am

Well David, it would be great if you at least accomplished 1 and 2.
My resolution is much more attainable. I intend to get back into this community again after many years away.
Probably won't get to writing another game, but who knows?
Truth is ever to be found in simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things . . .

Check Out PROVENANCE - a full size text adventure at the Interactive Fiction Archive.
Corey Arnett

Postby P/o Prune » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:07 am

Corey Arnett wrote:Well David, it would be great if you at least accomplished 1 and 2.
My resolution is much more attainable. I intend to get back into this community again after many years away.
Probably won't get to writing another game, but who knows?

Hey :shock:
Welcome back :peep:
Good to see you here again.

As for my own resolution, I'm still working on it/them.
Hmmm.. Maybe one should be to make a new year resolution (preferably before new year.)
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby The0didactus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:10 pm

* I have an update for Skybreak! that I'd like to push out before christmas, containing numerous quality of life upgrades and a few dozen new encounters, 2 pure-RP CYOA's, and 7 new worlds to explore

* In 2020, I'd like to release another update like this one sometime in the spring. The main thing I'd like to do with that one is to add character dialog and numerous open-ended CYOA's
The0didactus

Postby Lumin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:29 am

I just want to get back into playing IF games and figuring out how to enjoy them like I used to, and also do a review of anything I play regardless.

I have a couple in mind I'd like to write (and idrally enter the IFComp since that's where all the players are) but I've also got a lot of obligations over on CYS as far as stories I've promised to write, stories I've promised to review, and fires from various stupid little dramas to put out.
Lumin

Postby P/o Prune » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:46 am

Lumin wrote:I just want to get back into playing IF games and figuring out how to enjoy them like I used to, and also do a review of anything I play regardless.

Regarding getting back into playing IF games, I have found something that worked for me. Quite simpel: "Take time!"
It's not enough to just give yourself an hour every Wednesday. You have to sit down and allow yourself to get into the game. No time limits.
I have been beta testing a few games lately and in doing so I simply had to take my time. I found that the longer I got into the game the more fun it was and I ended up looking forward to sit down and play.
D-Day in progress 86Kb (Slowly drifting)
Just a Fairy Tale: 138Kb
P/o Prune
Site Admin

Postby David Whyld » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:33 am

Deadlines are handy, for me at least, when I'm writing games. If I know I only have a certain amount of time to get something done, it stops me adding loads of extras and keeps me focused. For playing, though, you're best ignoring all deadlines and time limits and just playing the game for as long as you want. When I reviewed IFComp years ago, I never bothered with the two hour limit. If I was enjoying a game, I wouldn't stop after two hours and base my score on what I'd seen so far, I'd carry on till I finished it (or got stuck), and if I wasn't enjoying the game... well, I'd have likely given up long before two hours anyway.
David Whyld

Return to General IF