ADRIFT Forum

The place to discuss the ADRIFT Interactive Fiction toolkit

Crazy idea?

The place to chat about ideas, writing, this forum, or anything related to Interactive Fiction that isn't specific to ADRIFT.

Please also visit the Interactive Fiction Community Forum for further discussions.

Re: Crazy idea?

Postby rovarsson » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 pm

No. Not such a crazy idea. A whole bunch of authors contributed to "Cragne Manor." If I understand correctly, that game had a few people in charge who delegated one room/location to each author. That means hobbledyboogledy-gameplay kept together by a masterplan. I've tried it several times, and it is great!.. and impossible (for me) to play as a serious start to finish attempt.
What I understand to be the proposal here is one grand unified game with multiple authors. Fine by me.

Non-exhaustive possibilities:

-Cragne Manor-like: Each person writes a room, Editors tie them together. (Huge job for the Editors...)?

-Someone writes a general story (without puzzles), authors make puzzles to fit (or wring) into the story?

-Cadavre Exquis: Someone writes a part of a game and sends only the last room description to the next writer (and maybe a shared set of commands). Repeat for a preset number of iterations. Last person writes an ending. ( This may not fit for this thread, but I find it an immensely entertaining idea.)?

-Editors create a central Hub that ties thing together before author even begin: "The Globe of Dreams", "The Nexus of Time", ... The player (and her PC) can go anywhere they choose but the ovrall experience is tied together by this central story. This Hub has a vague connecting story that authors can work with.

If I had 2 cents, I'd put 'm here.
rovarsson

Postby Denk » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:14 pm

rovarsson wrote:Non-exhaustive possibilities:

-Cragne Manor-like: Each person writes a room, Editors tie them together. (Huge job for the Editors...)?

Actually, P/o Prune and I contributed to Cragne Manor. It was fun but I am not sure I would do it again. At least that was not what I was thinking when I wrote the first post in this thread. As you say, that would mean "hobbledyboogledy-gameplay" and that is not what I am interested in.

rovarsson wrote:-Someone writes a general story (without puzzles), authors make puzzles to fit (or wring) into the story?

-Cadavre Exquis: Someone writes a part of a game and sends only the last room description to the next writer (and maybe a shared set of commands). Repeat for a preset number of iterations. Last person writes an ending. ( This may not fit for this thread, but I find it an immensely entertaining idea.)?

-Editors create a central Hub that ties thing together before author even begin: "The Globe of Dreams", "The Nexus of Time", ... The player (and her PC) can go anywhere they choose but the overall experience is tied together by this central story. This Hub has a vague connecting story that authors can work with.

Some of these may have some potential but they are all a little "Cragne Manor"-like. I have probably not explained myself very well, but what I am hoping we can accomplish is to have a team working together to produce a very good game, which is published on several commercial platforms (Steam etc.). If that is one author doing 90% of work that is fine with me, or if more workload can be shared between team members, that is also fine with me. E.g. John Ingold has co-authored a couple of successful games. Here there were only two authors though. But that may also be the case for us. The authors definitely need several rounds of feedback from a group of beta-testers and one person may find several pieces of music to go with the game while someone else is working on Cover Art and additional illustrations. The authors may also discuss the gameplay with the team much before the beta-testing begins so that the game might go in a very different direction than first anticipated. There may also be a commercial side which can be optimized if someone is good at that, though I think the main goal is to get relevant people to play ADRIFT games. By relevant people, I mean people who actually like playing the game. I am sure a lot of players who used to play text adventures, are not aware of the IF communities.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Postby ralphmerridew » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:36 pm

See also Shades of Gray (written in AGT). That game was written as a series of disjoint scenes, with each scene having one author.

(BTW, davidw, what did you mean by your comment that the map displays exits incorrectly? I remember the ADRIFT 4 runner having trouble when some paths were of different lengths; IIRC, Monster in the Mirror had five rooms arranged like the below. When in room C, everything would display fine; in room A or E, the room placement would be messed up.)
adrift Code: Select all
B-C-D
|   |
A---E
Bloodhounds can make you laugh and cuss in the same breath. They are endearing, faithful, and can sling drool ten feet in any direction. -- Virginia Lanier
ralphmerridew

Postby rovarsson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:50 pm

I was just throwing ideas around. As for the actual programming of the game; count me out. I enjoy reading/playing IF, but I'm still a newbie trying to get a first grand idea off the ground, learning while I go.

Still, I keep having the impression that your game-idea needs a Dictator to keep things on track.
rovarsson

Postby RenatoDias » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:33 am

Steam also adds a DRM to the game, no longer allowing you to launch directly.
RenatoDias

Postby Denk » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:22 pm

RenatoDias wrote:Steam also adds a DRM to the game, no longer allowing you to launch directly.

OK, good to know.
The Bash Saga:
1. The Dragon Diamond 2. The Way Home 3. Stone of Wisdom
Denk

Previous

Return to General IF